[Cancelled] Caprica (Season 1)

Battlestar Galactica prequel Caprica may have a full series commissioned before its pilot is screened.

According to The Hollywood Reporter, Sci Fi Channel programming boss Mark Stern stated during a press tour: "We?re not sure if it?s going to air as a backdoor pilot. We?re going to take a look at it and maybe just order it as a series from there. We are going to take delivery on it in a couple of weeks and then decide whether to air it as a standalone movie or as the premiere of a new series."

The two-hour Caprica pilot, set half a century before the events of Battlestar Galactica, is currently slated to air in late 2008. However, if Sci Fi Channel decides to order a full series before airing the pilot then the date is likely to be pushed back into 2009 to follow the final episodes of its parent show.

/source

So force BSG to wrap up on a rushed season 4 and then initiate a new series on the franchise? The executives over at Sci-Fi should be gagged, blindfolded, and led to the gallows.

I'm really excited about this. I know it's not gonna be cylons and vipers all over the place, and get the feeling that a lot of the backstory will be vague hints rather than full answers. And that's how I like it :)

Well, that's a really unimpressive trailer to say the least. Milking the franchise is more important than the quality obviously.

Trailer is fine, imo. Moore had already stated it was more of a drama show.

Definitely, they are milking the franchise but its something to watch since BSG is coming to an end soon. :cry:

• 4 months later...
Now this is some good news to report! Sci-Fi Channel has greenlit the prequel to the amazing show ?Battlestar Galactica?! I am sure most of us are eagerly awaiting the last 10 episodes of Battlestar which begin March 20th. On top of that a two hour movie adaptation called ?Battlestar Galactica: The Plan? is slated for early next summer. Now we have something else to look forward to in 2010. Variety re?Caprica? will star Eric Stoltz, Esai Morales, Paula Malcomson and Polly Walker, and will be set 50 years prior to ?Galactica?s? seminal attack on human civilization by those dreaded ?droids the Cylons. Family-drama-themed series will focus on the Earthlike planet of Caprica as two rival families deal with, among other topical issues, the broader implications of their society?s emerging artificial intelligence technology sector.technology sector.

I like where they are taking this new spinoff sereis. It is going to be able to explore some really interesting topics. As you may or may not now a two hour pilot was already produced which was really good. I think Battlestar Gallactica has been the back bone of the Sci-Fi Channel and has really brought a lot of success to the network. They are hoping this new caprica series will bring in even more people because it is a family drama it has the potential to tap into a whole new market, at the same time keep the hardcore fans coming back. Sci-Fi Channel

?We want people to come to this who have never heard of ?Battlestar Galactica,? ? he added. ?I think, because (?Galactica?s?) backdrop was space and spaceships, there was a barrier to entry for some viewers. ?Caprica? has none of that. It?s an intense family drama set on an Earthlike planet, in the near future, speaking to a lot of the ethical dilemmas that we as a human race are going to have to face very shortly.?are going to have to face very shortly.?

I am really looking forward to this. Sure it wont have the awesome space battles but it is still going to be a great show to watch.

[Source]

Caprica - Trailer for the Battlestar prequel

I don't think it will be as good as BSG, but Caprica is aimed towards more a drama show.

Yeah SEX with Cylon women, that would rock!!!! :)

I'll take a couple Sharons, and a that blonde one (can't remember the name right now... ((but does it ever matter really?))

I am really looking forward to this. Sure it wont have the awesome space battles but it is still going to be a great show to watch.

[Source]

Yeah but it's not soo much the action and space battles that makes Battlestar a great show. It's the plot, the characters, and themes covered in the show. The action is just really there to emphasize the story, and its also fun to see action once in a while.

As long a Moore can accomplish the same with Caprica, then I am sure it will be just as good. I don't think theres been anything Ronald D Moore has worked on, that I didn't enjoy... I even watched that show, Rosewell when it was on, albiet not my favorite show, still was an ok show.

• 3 months later...

Definitely a drama sci-fi show.

Though, I want to know how they will explain the following...

If the final five came back to the 13th colonies and found the Human-Cylon war had already been started, how was the Greystone family able to make the humanoid Cylons made before their arrival?

They gave the humanoid Cylon tech to the Centurions to stop the war... or did they give it the Greystone family?

I guess they will answer this question in the season premiere of Caprica DVD.

I'm still suffering from Battlestar Galactica withdrawal symptoms so any show that relates to it is good for me. Judging by that promo, the show seems to revolve around the creation of resurrection technology and Centurions. It should be interesting!

From the previews I've seen and information I've read, Caprica seems more like a drama than anything else and not so much science fiction. That being said, I'll reserve judgment until I see the pilot. So far, I'm not sold on it though.

Yeah SEX with Cylon women, that would rock!!!! :)

I'll take a couple Sharons, and a that blonde one (can't remember the name right now... ((but does it ever matter really?))

Caprica 6

If it's out on DVD, I will be picking it up (or something to that effect), just to see if I will like it (in respect to BSG), but probably won't.

The pilot is going to air next month, and will come out on DVD at the same time. The actual series is going to start airing regularly in 2010.

Hold on, if the first episode is being released next month.... What the f*** is the point of putting the rest episodes in 2010 O.O

Or is it a 2 hour movie kind of thing and in 2010 there changing it into a tv series.. ? :s