I can burn my LCD HDTV very easily

I noticed this awhile ago, on one channel only. It would take an average of a few minutes to notice a faint image burn on my tv (if your canadian, you may of heard of CP24, the weather, news etc channel)

CP24_march.jpg

(sorry for the small image, only one I can find), the top right hand corner yellow bar burns into my TV if i watch it too long.

So lately I have been watching tv and movies on my tv, from my PC, which burns the WMP11 very easily. I also notice some burning around the edges of a movie after it is done. If the movie or tv show is in letter box, I will see the outline once I am done.

I took some pictures to show what is happening:

image0_thumb.jpg

image1_thumb.jpg image2_thumb.jpg image3_thumb.jpg image4_thumb.jpg

Does anyone understand WHY my LCD tv is doing this? I am thinking of just selling it for a few hundred, and going out to get a 1080P LCD HDTV, but if LCD can't even handle this, I wouldn't mind going Plasma.

My current tv is a 37" LG DU-37LZ55

Yeah it is called image persistence in the case of an LCD screen. When you leave an image on screen that is static, the LCD crystals develop a memory. Don't worry, it can be corrected. Just turn the TV off for a few hours, use a screensaver that flips images or even get one of those random pattern generators to constantly cycle the crystals and also try running the screen with a single color displayed for an extended period of time.

CRTs and Plasmas are susceptible to burn-ins where as LCDs more or less develop a memory which in most cases can be corrected.

I have an LCD n left it on a channel that wasnt widescreen leaving 2 thick bands of black to the sides, so now i have a thick faint line perminantly burnt into the screen, and i keep getting more the more i use stuff such as my 360, i have a few UI elements of forza and fifa burnt into my screen... not good, think mine is some failure in the hardware though...

Could this problem ever be permanent? I only paused the video for a minute or two, and it stands out like a apple in a bag of oranges. It eventually fades away after maybe 15 or so minutes. If something is movie over it, for example a wide screen video, it will go away a little faster. The example I posted, where it has the black bars, it takes up to 15 minutes to go away.

Say I left this video paused for 10-20 minutes, could it potentially do damage to it?

Could this problem ever be permanent? I only paused the video for a minute or two, and it stands out like a apple in a bag of oranges. It eventually fades away after maybe 15 or so minutes. If something is movie over it, for example a wide screen video, it will go away a little faster. The example I posted, where it has the black bars, it takes up to 15 minutes to go away.

Say I left this video paused for 10-20 minutes, could it potentially do damage to it?

Pausing the image for a minute or two should not cause this just FYI...

This type of problem should only happen after many hours or days of a constant static screen image...

Does anyone understand WHY my LCD tv is doing this? I am thinking of just selling it for a few hundred, and going out to get a 1080P LCD HDTV, but if LCD can't even handle this, I wouldn't mind going Plasma.

My current tv is a 37" LG DU-37LZ55

Do some research, cuz I don't think you can notice a difference between 1080 and 720 @ 37". Going with a 720 TV will save you a hundreds vs the 1080. Just make sure you can actually see a significant difference before dropping cash ;)

Hmm .. this really shouldn't happen to new modern day LCD TV's .. what brand and model is your TV?

Did you try ringing up the maker yet ?

look at the first post under the pictures

Do some research, cuz I don't think you can notice a difference between 1080 and 720 @ 37". Going with a 720 TV will save you a hundreds vs the 1080. Just make sure you can actually see a significant difference before dropping cash ;)

You would definitely see a difference on a blu-ray player, which I also plan on getting. Also, my xbox360 would be useful on a 40+ HDTV 1080p, then my current 1080i/720p 37"

I thought that LCDs can't get image burn... and I thought that plasmas were really susceptible to image burn.. :unsure:.

Could you get this RMA'd?

You would definitely see a difference on a blu-ray player, which I also plan on getting. Also, my xbox360 would be useful on a 40+ HDTV 1080p, then my current 1080i/720p 37"

If you see a difference.. how close are you sitting to the TV?

At normal viewing distanced of somethign as small as a 37 inch you will not see a difference on a Full HD BD movie if the tv is 720p or 1080p. The pixels are just too small, copared to the "resolution" of your eye. Granted if you're goign to place it in a tiny student room and sit 1 or even 2 meters away from it, yeah you're probably going to notice a difference, but only before the headache kicks in.

yes lcds (of any size) can develop image persistence (we have hundreds of them at work with moderate to severe burn, and ya it can be permanent (we have one monitor with a permanent excel grid, and windows start/taskbar on it.

although it is rarer to see, it can happen on lcds... and actually IR in modern good-quality plasmas is getting relatively rare aswell, and if it does happen is quite temporary (btw pioneer is known as being pretty much burn-in/IR proof, among many of their other great qualities (deep blacks, color reproduction, scaling, etc)

Actually, now that I think about it, back in college on the PCs there with LCD monitors on some you'd get the login box burnt into the screen.