Internet Explorer 8 Beta 2 - Post your Bugs?

In the event that neowinians want to post bugs they encountered in Internet Explorer 8 Beta 2, why not post them here.

To start off, here is a bug that has been around since IE4 (IMO - still not fixed).

Internet Explorer saving .JPG files as .BMP format.

post-258286-1220222630_thumb.png

Edited by Barney

I can confirm that the first bug mentioned in this thread is most probably a bug in Windows XP. I'm using IE with Vista since about 3 years and I didn't see that happening anymore.

^ With those steps I get .bmp. Seems like interfacelift.com is doing something weird.

Hmm. OK. Thing is, the picture still loads as a .JPG in the address bar. And Fx 'Save As' .JPG.

Funny...if I go directly to the image....my "save as"...shows the .jpg....if I use the "step by step" method I get the .bmp. I've never really noticed that before.

DLW

Hmm. OK. Thing is, the picture still loads as a .JPG in the address bar. And Fx 'Save As' .JPG.

I can repro it with the steps you listed. Funny thing is when I tried it in Firefox the save as dialog had NO extension and the drop-down had no options. It must be a site problem. I bet the referrer script that redirects from the listing of images is specifying the wrong filetype but the browser displays it anyway.

EDIT: Searching Google for "interfacelift bugs" shows other people reporting the error in other OSes with Firefox.

Edited by GreyWolfSC

So I guess we can mark this as an interfacelift problem, and not an IE8 Beta 2 problem. And to think I was ready to report this to MS :p

Heh... I sent an e-mail the site's webmaster, but I wouldn't expect much since according to those Mozilla bug reports it's been doing that for years. :)

I've tried it in 2 different versions of Firefox, Safari and IE7, it only happens in IE7 for me.

And the HTTP headers are fine, it's sending the correct mime-type.

The only thing I can think of, is that it's got XML data inside it (Which should be ok, it's like EXIF data), IE doesn't handle this stuff well (It's possible to write a .png file that runs javascript)

I get different results on IE8 and Firefox, but neither of them are what is expected. IE8 tries to save it as a bitmap and Firefox doesn't prompt with an extension at all. I think maybe IE is trying to compensate for the missing information and assuming BMP.

These are the headers the server is sending for the image file

HTTP/1.1 200 OK
Date: Mon, 01 Sep 2008 04:14:41 GMT
Server: Apache
Last-Modified: Sat, 30 Aug 2008 00:48:27 GMT
ETag: "319bd63-2a26a8-455a2ba63acc0"
Accept-Ranges: bytes
Content-Length: 2762408
Connection: close
Content-Type: image/jpeg

It's sending the proper mime-type, so something else is happening.

Edit: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...kb;en-us;810978

I have an unknown object (related to Flash), I can't remove it though.

It's an issue with the cache or something, IE has had it for years.

Try clearing your cache and saving it again.

QFT, it's all IE, nothing to do with OS. Just F5 the page and it will save properly.

Thanks for the help everybody! (Y)

I had hoped that Microsoft would look a bit further into this problem and resolve it.

Either way, an F5 reloads the picture and it's saved correctly.

--

Small Bug. The button 'X' to stop loading a site, remains enabled after the site has already fully loaded.

post-258286-1220249582_thumb.png

These are the headers the server is sending for the image file

HTTP/1.1 200 OK
Date: Mon, 01 Sep 2008 04:14:41 GMT
Server: Apache
Last-Modified: Sat, 30 Aug 2008 00:48:27 GMT
ETag: "319bd63-2a26a8-455a2ba63acc0"
Accept-Ranges: bytes
Content-Length: 2762408
Connection: close
Content-Type: image/jpeg

It's sending the proper mime-type, so something else is happening.

Edit: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...kb;en-us;810978

I have an unknown object (related to Flash), I can't remove it though.

Hmm... That explains part of it, but why does it work correctly if I go directly to the image URL? And why does Firefox not prompt with an extension? :)

Firefox always shows the extension for me.

Same here. Firefox has not problems getting the correct extension.

Just tried the same link with Safari for Windows - no problems saving as .JPG file.

Running XP Pro SP2 on Virutal machine, and have this problem, Page, Safety, Tools buttons won't work!!!!

Here's a screen. ie8bugxput7.th.jpg

I've mentioned it somewhere else, I think the biggest bug of IE8b2 is its installer. apparent it can mess the browser up in different ways under different circumstances. I think the only way to make sure IE8b2 is correctly installed in a system is to either install it in a fresh new system (even then it's still hard to be sure, but for me at least the two installations on fresh new systems are quite problem-free so far), or use Microsoft's pre-prepared VirtualPC images for testing :/