XP vs. Vista

Im getting a new laptop pretty soon im not sure to get it preinstalled with xp or vista since vista just came out and its not really stable

Go with XP. They don't call Vista "Windows ME II" for nothing you know. It's garbage.

Go with CP/M.

Go with XP. They don't call Vista "Windows ME II" for nothing you know. It's garbage.

See? Just get Vista. There's nothing wrong with it. Nobody calls it ME II except chronic complainers (and marketing plants). And it's not garbage.

Edited by GreyWolfSC

Im getting a new laptop pretty soon im not sure to get it preinstalled with xp or vista since vista just came out and its not really stable

I advise you not to make sharp comments about things you have not really tried. You could be inviting trouble for yourself.

Answering your question, there is no possible way you can get Windows XP now, since MS has discontinued its sales. So you are pretty much stuck with Vista.

If you want Windows XP, you would have to buy a netbook that has an option for it.

So what? You're not helping. He asked for opinions about OSes, not about how volatile the subject is.

Nonsense. Try for youself. Anything recent and you have it made.

Nonsense. Try for youself. Anything recent and you have it made.

Fascinating. That doesn't stop the fact that the sideline commentary (including this) just junks up the thread, obscuring the actual valid posts.

Recently got a new computer with Vista. Was def prepared to install XP if necessary, but I've been really happy with Vista. The instant search feature is awesome. Plus, Media Center PC, the graphics (which are eye candy, but soon you'll wonder why you put up with XP), and the overall stability is great. Go with Vista. :-)

First of all if you think being 2 years old with one service pack under the belt is "just coming out" then thats just stupid.

Second, very few people would call Vista "unstable". Unstable means crashing all the time, and not working at all. Most people claim that Vista is bloated or slower on older hardware, but not unstable. Windows ME was unstable. Vista is not.

Third, If you are buying a new computer, with new hardware, why wouldn't you want an OS that takes advantage of the newer hardware? Vista was designed to make the most of multiple cores and large amounts of RAM. XP will run great on it, but it wasn't ever built to utilize today's hardware properly.

Its ultimatly your decision, but I'd suggest trying Vista. If you were using an older computer, I'd say stick with XP, but a new computer really has no excuse now not to come with Vista.

Finally, how are you going to get XP preloaded anyway? Wasn't it discontinued on June 30th? Unless you are buying a business model or plan to downgrade, XP isn't even avaliable on most computers now.

I was at first resistant with the whole vista thing, but I have been running it for 6+ months with no problems at all, I play games all the time with Vista (I'm using ultimate x64) I have had no problems with the OS and game playing. Seeing as XP is going to the back burner with MS, I think your best bet would be to go with Vista... and be sure if you have 4 GB or more of RAM, go with the x64 version so windows will see and use all of the RAM!

Vista easily. Ignore Raa if he comes into this thread spreading his pro-XP rhetoric.

You forgot to tell him to ignore toadeater, abcdefg and the rest, too. ;)

@OP: Sorry if we derailed... We just know it's going to be a mudfest. If you're buying a new laptop, chances are it was put together with the latest OS in mind. Most of of have had few or no issues with Vista that didn't either already exist in XP or were just dumb hardware problems. :)

vista is perfectly stable those problems you heard about would possibly be true if you lived in 2006. I am running vista x64 on my new laptop and it runs flawlessly and is fast as hell, I've also run it on my desktop since it came out with no problems (except early nvidia drivers but that's sorted now)

Comparing vista to ME just makes you look like an idiot. Vista is an incredibly stable os and is nothing like me.

Normally, I don't comment on topics such as this, but, I dunno, I don't have anything else to do, so here's my 2?.

Normally, I would avoid Vista like the plague... Until my friend bought a laptop with Vista SP1 installed on it (His old Desktop with similar configuration had Vista original, and it was unbearable),

and I find is runs so smooth, and that it's not as clunky as it was - it actually kinda makes me want to test vista on my main rig.

That being said, I avoid XP SP3, and am sticking with SP2, mainly because I don't feel it offers me enough incentive to download it.

But it all comes down to what you want to use the system for.

If you want to use it as a media center, or intend to support various exotic languages and locales, such as Yi or Mongolian or a custom language/locale, or future proofing, I'd go with Vista SP1.

If you plan on general stuff, and games (I found some games won't run on Vista because it keeps asking for Direct X 9C...or lower in some cases), or some legacy programs that require .net 1.1 framework (It can be installed on Vista, but it's a pain), I'd go with XP.

So, I'm not bashing one option or the other (I seem to do it equally in a way)...unless it's Vista with out SP1, which it probably isn't... I'm just putting my opinion out there on both OSes, and hopefully you can base a decision on that.

In the end it comes down to what you prefer the most.

I've had experience on both sides of the coin, and can say that I prefer XP by far. (No need for the personal attack)

If you want the best of both worlds - you can have it. Get Vista Business/Ultimate with a XP downgrade option.

Don't like XP/Vista? Simple, switch!

Simple and easy, no need to cause an arguement about it :)

Vista hands down. Reformat the laptop to get all the junk out or use PC Decrapifer and you're good to go! I love Vista **** I'm running it on a 4 Year old computer in my sig and it runs perfectly....

**Ram has been upped to 2GB***

Go with CP/M.

See? Just get Vista. There's nothing wrong with it. Nobody calls it ME II except chronic complainers (and marketing plants). And it's not garbage.

"See" nothing. I have my opinion, you have yours. Deal with it. I have a few machines, some of the have Vista SP1 installed, some have Windows XP SP3 installed. Vista still *sucks* compared to XP. Calling it more stable than XP is laughable. The drivers for most hardware still stink, even after two years. In XP they've had how many years to perfect hardware drivers? And this garbage about only supporting Direct X 10 on Vista is just plain BS, but that's another story. XP has a proven track record, Vista does not. If Vista is so great, why are most large companies just skipping it? Explain that one.

vista is perfectly stable those problems you heard about would possibly be true if you lived in 2006. I am running vista x64 on my new laptop and it runs flawlessly and is fast as hell, I've also run it on my desktop since it came out with no problems (except early nvidia drivers but that's sorted now)

Comparing vista to ME just makes you look like an idiot. Vista is an incredibly stable os and is nothing like me.

The Vista-ME comparison is a joke, genius. Microsoft themselves are now admitting that they made a lot of mistakes with Vista. If a company's willing to admit that, than you know it's not good.

"See" nothing. I have my opinion, you have yours. Deal with it. I have a few machines, some of the have Vista SP1 installed, some have Windows XP SP3 installed. Vista still *sucks* compared to XP. Calling it more stable than XP is laughable. The drivers for most hardware still stink, even after two years. In XP they've had how many years to perfect hardware drivers? And this garbage about only supporting Direct X 10 on Vista is just plain BS, but that's another story. XP has a proven track record, Vista does not. If Vista is so great, why are most large companies just skipping it? Explain that one.

The Vista-ME comparison is a joke, genius. Microsoft themselves are now admitting that they made a lot of mistakes with Vista. If a company's willing to admit that, than you know it's not good.

You're just spewing crap. None of what you've said is reasonable, ergo there is no reason to debate it. XP has a proven track record of drivers bringing down the whole system, having gaping security holes, and looking like it was designed by Fisher-Price. Where exactly is Microsoft admitting they made a lot of mistakes with Vista?

If you're buying a new laptop, chances are it was put together with the latest OS in mind.

Lol. What exactly is that supposed to mean? Does Microsoft have some secret, stable, *good* version of Vista that they only install on machines "put together with the latest OS in mind". You see how stupid that comment is?

You're just spewing crap. None of what you've said is reasonable, ergo there is no reason to debate it. XP has a proven track record of drivers bringing down the whole system, having gaping security holes, and looking like it was designed by Fisher-Price.

I don't see the part where you explain to us why major companies are avoiding Vista and have no plans to deploy it, at all, since it's so great now.