Vista Taskbar Customization

Right click on the main task bar and un-tick lock the task bar, then slide the right hand slider to the left, then re-tick lock the task bar. Try this a few times until the spacing is right.

Disabling the toolbar and re-enabling it should remove the gap. This works with the "Quick launch" bar in Windows XP.

@Roughneck - that does not work. I tried.

It does work. You might have to pull it to the left so much that it looks like the second icon will be in a dropdown, but once you lock the taskbar again it will be uncovered because the separator goes away.

@Roughneck - that does not work. I tried.

@F7S - the problem is not the icons but the empty space.

It works fine, see above post.

It does work. You might have to pull it to the left so much that it looks like the second icon will be in a dropdown, but once you lock the taskbar again it will be uncovered because the separator goes away.

Thats what I did do but when the separator goes away it leaves some space.

As to the OP, I guess that space cannot be made any smaller.

Thats what I did do but when the separator goes away it leaves some space.

As to the OP, I guess that space cannot be made any smaller.

This is mine unlocked

unlocked.png

and locked

locked.png

Thats about as close as I can get it.

As above, although I fail to see how this would bother you... if having little icons annoys you just remove the 'quick launch' and be done with it >.>

I fail to see how it bothers you that it bothers him.

Yeah, the disable/enable trick works in XP and 2003, but not Vista.

For Vista, you'll have to actually delete the last icon (just to the Recycle Bin, not permanently), unlock and resize the bar so it's just slightly smaller than it should be to fit all of your desired icons, lock the taskbar again, and then undelete the last icon. The bar should expand just enough to fit your icons and leave no unsightly space.

Silly, but effective. :pinch:

Yeah, the disable/enable trick works in XP and 2003, but not Vista.

For Vista, you'll have to actually delete the last icon (just to the Recycle Bin, not permanently), unlock and resize the bar so it's just slightly smaller than it should be to fit all of your desired icons, lock the taskbar again, and then undelete the last icon. The bar should expand just enough to fit your icons and leave no unsightly space.

Silly, but effective. :pinch:

It has always worked for me. Perhaps there is a minimum size? I've never had less than 3 icons, and on 3 icons the trick works fine. Perhaps 2 icons is the minimum size and the trick doesn't work at that point.