Guy Ritchies Sherlock Holmes (Rumours and Discussion)

For quite some time it was rumored that Russell Crowe was in talks to star as Watson alongside Robert Downey, Jr.'s Sherlock Holmes in Guy Ritchie's aptly-titled SHERLOCK HOLMES. Then Latino Review broke the scoop that Crowe was in fact in talks to star as Professor Moriarty not Watson. That begs the question, who is starring as Watson. We put our own Sherlock hats on and busted out the novelty magnifying glass to get to the bottom of that mystery. What we found was something we didn't expect (and no, it wasn't the butler).

According to our sources Colin Farrell is in talks to star as Dr. Watson in SHERLOCK HOLMES. Colin Farrell strikes me as neither a doctor nor a writer (both professions of Dr. Watson) and frankly after his turn in MIAMI VICE, I'm having trouble picturing him as anything but a greasy-haired Sonny Crockett. But our scooper reminds us that SHERLOCK HOLMES is less tiptoeing and collecting clues and more kicking ass and taking names.

After digging around I was told that as of right now no one is "officially" signed on to play Watson but our sources are saying Farrell is the guy. It's not who I would pick (to be honest I don't know who I would pick) but they've already hooked me in with Robert Downey, Jr. and Russell Crowe. I'll have to trust Guy Ritchie on Farrell. What are you thoughts?

[Source]

Am I the only person who doesn't like the casting so far, RDJ as Sherlock is not bad but Farrell as Dr Watson and Crowe as Moriarty...its pretty crazy.

wow. the casting is horrible. colin farrell as dr. watson?? WTF!! it is totally not his char.

I would recommend Alfred from Dark Knight as Dr. Watson. not sure who for Holmes...

Not sure about Robert Downey, Jr. as Holmes, but he is a very good and accomplished actor, so I will give him the benefit of the doubt. Russell Crowe I can see as Moriarty. For me, Anthony Higgins is the best Moriarty (played him in Young Sherlock Holmes), but I think Crowe can pull it off.

As for Watson, Colin Farrell would just suck. Jude Law springs to mind as capable of the role.

The thing I can't get over is Guy Ritchie directing this. This movie is most definitely not his style. I've enjoyed several of his movies, but this is a totally different direction from his typical fare.

I'll hold my judgement for now but the casting is really not giving me any vibes.

Scirwode

• 3 weeks later...

9fmk52.jpg

Sherlock Holmes has found a lady to complement his adventures as a gentleman detective.

Rachel McAdams (the beam of light that brightened Mean Girls, The Wedding Crashers, and The Notebook) will be bringing her uncanny talents to Guy Ritchie?s re-imagining of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle?s world famous character. She joins the already stellar cast that includes Robert Downey, Jr. as the titular Victorian hero, Jude Law as his observant colleague, and Mark Strong as the big bad (Blackwood?who is apparently not Moriarty).

McAdams will be portraying Holmes? love interest, Irene Adler, who appeared in but one Doyle story, ?A Scandal in Bohemia.? The use of this character and the employment of this actor are just two in a long line of interesting choices we have seen during the preproduction of this re-imagining, which begins photography in October. The film is primarily based on a forthcoming comic book written by producer Lionel Wigram, titled ?Holmes,? which sees the 19th Century icon in a modern setting with less observation and more action-adventure.

[Source]

Glad to see I wasn't the only one who thought Jude Law was a good choice for Watson.

I'm still not sure about this. I understand Ritchie is going for a "re-imagining" of Holmes, but I don't think it will be too good if he strays far from the "traditional" mold of the character and his world. Of course, I'll see it since I'm a fan of Ritchie's work, and I'll try to reserve judgment, but we'll have to see how it goes.

This sounds like a total stinker.. Holmes is something I don't think that can or even needs to be reinvented.

Sigh.

This sounds like a total stinker.. Holmes is something I don't think that can or even needs to be reinvented.

Sigh.

I agree, I'm a big Sherlock Holmes fan but this just sounds like it's going to be terrible. Basil Rathbone and Tom Bell were my idea of Holmes to a tee, Robert Downey Jr's not fit to wear the deerstalker and I can't stand Russel Crowe :no:

Jude Law will be Dr Watson to Robert Downey Jr's Sherlock Holmes in Guy Ritchie's reworking of the super sleuth, the director has announced.

Ritchie, whose last film RocknRolla topped the UK box office, announced the casting at a London press conference.

Other stars confirmed include Rachel McAdams as Irene Adler, Mark Strong as villain Blackwood, and Kelly Reilly as Watson's love interest Mary.

Due out in October 2009, it will rival a Holmes comedy with Sacha Baron Cohen.

Ritchie and producer Joel Silver revealed the film will be shot in London for three months, at locations including St Paul's Cathedral and Freemasons' Hall.

The film-maker said of his new venture: "I'd like to bring something new to this project - I have a few tricks up my sleeve. It won't be a traditional Guy Ritchie thing, it will be a new Guy Ritchie thing."

He said the film, which has the biggest budget he has ever worked with, would be an adventure movie - but refused to reveal if Holmes and Watson will wear traditional tweed and deerstalkers.

Iron Man star Downey Jnr was reportedly introduced to the project - given the working title Sherlock Holmes - through his wife Susan, who works for one of the film's producers.

The Hollywood star said: "I think me and Guy are well-suited to working together.

"The more I look into the books, the more fantastic it becomes. Holmes is such a weirdo," he added.

The film is based on the stories by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle.

The Sherlock Holmes comedy being produced by Columbia Pictures, meanwhile, will star Will Ferrell alongside Baron Cohen.

Silver said he did not fear competition from the other movie as his is coming out earlier and is an action flick as opposed to a comedy.

Law was unable to attend the press conference in London due to a longstanding engagement.

Its confirmed now then but no Crowe...thank god for that!

• 2 weeks later...

First Pictures of RDJ as Sherlock Holmes

2nv9k6u.jpg

Here are the very first pictures of Robert Downey Jr. filming Sherlock Holmes on Friday, currently filming in Central London.

When asked what he could bring to a character portrayed countless times on film and television, RDJ has joked: ?Clearly I?m going to do it better than it?s ever been done. The more I read about it the more overwhelmed I was by the weight of it and the amount of people who will be watching to see if it?s gotten right.?

Check out the pictures below?it looks like RDJ and his stunt double are conferring with each other on how to jump off the building they?re standing on. Also pictured: director Guy Ritchie.

nyg0t1.jpg

2uj1e94.jpg

2rpcnr7.jpg

25ivuyh.jpg

2wgurs4.jpg

guy ritchie looks out of place in the photo's, and i think this film is too big for him.

at the minute, all i can imagine is a failure... hopefully i'll be proved wrong.

These are the first pictures of Jude Law as Dr. Watson, the sidekick to pipe-smoking sleuth Sherlock Holmes.

With his hair brushed forward, and wearing a huge handlebar moustache, Law unveiled the old school detective look for his role in Guy Ritchie's new film.

Wearing a white collarless shirt and black trousers, Law strutted onto to London set of the film.

article-1077122-02175DA8000005DC-48_468x493.jpg

Last week American actor Robert Downey Jnr was unveiled as Sherlock Holmes, and now Law has stepped into his braces and breeches to play the fictional doctor, created by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle.

While Downey's look in the film is reminiscent of his role as another British icon - Charlie Chaplin in the 1992 film Chaplin, for which he received an Oscar nomination.

Kelly Ruth, who plays Watson's girlfriend Mary says his accent is spot on.

'At the cast read-through, Robert's British accent was so good as Sherlock I remember thinking: "He's got a Brit inside him, that man,"' she said.

article-0-02175A96000005DC-786_468x738.jpg

[Source]

Sherlock Holmes Release Date Set!

Warner Bros. Pictures has set a November 20, 2009 release date for the Guy Ritchie-directed Sherlock Holmes, starring Robert Downey Jr., Jude Law, Rachel McAdams, Mark Strong and Kelly Reilly.

In the thriller, Downey Jr. brings the legendary detective to life as he has never been portrayed before. Jude Law stars as Holmes' trusted colleague, Watson, a doctor and war veteran who is a formidable ally for Sherlock Holmes. Rachel McAdams stars as Irene Adler, the only woman ever to have bested Holmes and who has maintained a tempestuous relationship with the detective. Mark Strong stars as their mysterious new adversary, Blackwood. Kelly Reilly will play Watson's love interest, Mary.

that S-Class looks out of place :(

also im assuming this movie is gonna be delayed since Guy's wife decided to screw somebody else

I don't think so the date was set after this divorce proceedings to I imagine to take his mind off things he will focus on Sherlock.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
IGN UK got a chance to talk to British actor Mark Strong about the villain(s) in Warner Bros. Pictures' upcoming Sherlock Holmes.

Strong said that Holmes' arch-nemesis Moriarty is in the film, "but you don't really see him. I think he's there because if the franchise carries on, there's a possibility that he will appear in a larger guise.

"But for the purposes of this one and the detective narrative, I'm the guy that Sherlock's after, Lord Blackwood. And he's a cultist/Satanist lord who is the ultimate cad."

Directed by Guy Ritchie, the thriller stars Robert Downey Jr., Jude Law and Rachel McAdams. It opens on November 20, 2009.

[source]

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...