Windows 7 codec support

They really could do with a few other formats... Ogg-related formats (Vorbis, Theora, etc.), at least, because Microsoft's competitors (most Linux distros and Apple) provide ways of playing ogg audio files at minimum (for video files and container formats, MPlayer and that ffplay application that comes with ffmpeg do well). Sure, things like the Combined Community Codec Pack, VLC, the K-Lite Codec [Mega] Pack and KMPlayer (not the KDE front-end to MPlayer) provide the necessary items to play these files, but it would be a lot better if Microsoft supported these formats out of the box.

finally i dont have to install crap divx drivers

Bear in mind however these encoders are not a replacement for commercial alternatives. The limitations include simple profiles, maximum bitrate and resolutions.

958617_105100.jpg

I have no idea what that picture means :blink: .

Scirwode

The days of searching for codec packs appear to be over with native support for most media files built-in to Windows 7.

Far from it. Bear in mind that (right now) it will only play H.264 if it's in an MPEG4 container. So if you have an mkv file with a H.264 stream, it will not decode it even if you install an mkv splitter (or the mkv splitter is incompatible with the new media foundation, we'll just have to find out).

Edited by bb10

MKV plays for me perfect i have installed from the Vista Codec Pack only 2 Options:

Gabest components.

Haali components.

All other option i have deseleted.

That pack is bloated and warez... But anyway, does that MKV file have a H.264 stream?

Do you mind doing a testrender?

Download: http://www.mediafire.com/?mywnoynzjod

Click on the textreport tab and open an mkv file. Copy the text and post it on pastebin.com and paste the url here.

Edited by bb10