Has anyone tried Crunchbang Linux?

The latest version is based on Ubuntu 8.10 with the OpenBox WM, which makes it very appealing for older hardware systems and new systems alike. I installed it on the laptop I am posting with now, a Intel Celeron 2.0Ghz with 256m of RAM, and it runs very well. Since it is based on Ubuntu, it uses the Synaptic package manager, and should be a pretty seamless switch from *buntu if you need a lightweight distro. Check it out - Crunchbang Linux

How much space it occupies after you have installed into your computer?

I always think that Ubuntu is too huge in size and too fancy. I prefer Debian with minimal install and install additional package myself.

I'm not real sure of how much space it takes once installed, but if resources or hard drive space is limited, they also have a Lite version, which is a "stripped down" version of Crunchbang. It offers lighter apps and a lighter panel and file manager, so that may be an option if you are considering using it.Try the live version to see if it fits. I went from Zenwalk, Xubuntu, and Vector linux on this laptop before I found !# (crunchbang) and I don't regret it at all.

It's based on ubuntu 8.10 meaning desktop effects (enabled by default) will crash 845G hardware and freeze. I tried 8.10 on my old PC and the gnome mouse loading thing comes up then freezes right when it's about to display the desktop (when desktop effects start...) :(

It's based on ubuntu 8.10 meaning desktop effects (enabled by default) will crash 845G hardware and freeze. I tried 8.10 on my old PC and the gnome mouse loading thing comes up then freezes right when it's about to display the desktop (when desktop effects start...) :(

I'm not sure (again :() if desktop effects are enabled with the Openbox WM, which I don't think they are. I've had no problems on this older laptop running it right out of the box. I had to install the Broadcom Restricted drivers for wireless, but other than that, everything worked on install. Give the live CD a try to see if it runs.

You are incorrect. Crunchbang runs Openbox as a Window Manager. The desktop effects you are talking about are Compiz. You can't run Compiz on Openbox, because they are both Window Managers.

You are incorrect. Crunchbang runs Openbox as a Window Manager. The desktop effects you are talking about are Compiz. You can't run Compiz on Openbox, because they are both Window Managers.

Thanks, Mark. I thought the desktop effects didn't run on Openbox, but wasn't quiet sure.