WMP Toolbar in Win7 Beta 1 7000?

Ok thanks for your help sorry for an already made topic hopefully in the final version of WMP 12 it will be a bit better in showing the song playing and such in the preview window.

I too asked the same question in that WMP12 thread, I miss it so much already. I still have high hopes, seeing this is a beta, they might just probably add a toolbar in the RTM. I for one am mailing them this suggestion.

It's possible, but it's not worth the trouble. It involves replacing two files for Windows Media Player, registering the deskband and restarting Windows Explorer... and, while it works, it partially breaks Windows Media Player, returns the user interface to that of WMP11, and crashes every time you close WMP.

But, because this is the internet, here's some proof.

post-267402-1232872746_thumb.png

post-267402-1232873145_thumb.png

Edited by Mercellus

Looks like after some more tinkering, I've got it worked out.

*** PROCEED AT YOUR OWN DISCRETION! I cannot be held responsible if something breaks. Any bug reports sent about this to Microsoft will probably be shot down faster than a UFO over Roswell, as this is completely unsupported. You've been warned. ***

- Locate a copy of wmpband.dll from an installation of Windows Vista - it is located in X:\Program Files\Windows Media Player, where X stands for your installation drive.

- Copy the file to your desktop on Windows 7 and rename it to wmpband2.dll.

- Move the file to Z:\Program Files\Windows Media Player, where Z stands for your Windows 7 drive.

- When prompted by User Account Control for permission, click on Continue.

- Open an elevated command prompt window (Right click on Command Prompt, click Run as Administrator, and provide consent to the User Account Control dialog).

- Type the following command: regsvr32 ?%ProgramFiles%\Windows Media Player\wmpband2.dll?. You should be presented with a dialog stating that the registration completed successfully.

- Restart Windows Explorer by typing the following command in the command prompt: taskkill.exe /F /IM explorer.exe && explorer.exe

- Open Windows Media Player and begin playing a song, and then minimize the player window.

- Right click on the Taskbar, click on Toolbars, and then click on Windows Media Player. It should appear within a few seconds.

There are some known issues with this, such as the deskband not appearing correctly, disappearing, and the visualization does not work correctDon?t bother sending bug reports to Microsoft about this, or anything related to Windows Media Player after performing this is not a supported configuration.n.

post-267402-1232875655_thumb.png

Edited by Mercellus

im curious why do you think its better maybe i am missing something?

for me the only good thing about WMP12 is native mp4 playback apart from that its worse in every way

firstly i think it looks worse, glass controls are far nicer than a solid black bar

secondly the list pane is far too wide and you cant make it smaller without it disappearing

there is no colour picker so we are stuck with horrible blue in the library

and the fact there is no toolbar controls

I cant remember where (i'm sure it was on technet somewhere) but i read up on the windows 7 API's and there was a whole section on deskbands, the image illustrating them was of WMP deskband so i'm sure they will do it (at least i hope so!!!)

WMP12 is worse than WMP11 in every possible way

dont know how they managed to mess that one up :rolleyes:

I agree... I was hoping because it was Beta but I have a feeling it won't change much :wacko:.