Coraline (2009)

coralinegallerypostermf5.jpg

Release dates:

North America: February 6, 2009

Australia: April 2, 2008

United Kingdom: May 8, 2008

A young girl walks through a secret door in her new home and discovers an alternate version of her life. On the surface, this parallel reality is eerily similar to her real life ? only much better. But when her adventure turns dangerous, and her counterfeit parents (including Other Mother) try to keep her forever, Coraline must count on her resourcefulness, determination, and bravery to get back home ? and save her family.

I thought the animation and story were very good. The only complaint I have is that I think they could of done better with the 3D parts of the movie, because a lot of the 3D parts didn't really stand out as I've seen it done in other 3D movies.

Anyone else saw this movie yet? If so, what did you think of it?

From the trailer, the story and visuals look really good, and I'm quite a fan of Neil Gaiman, so naturally I will be very much looking forward to this. I just wished they would show it here.

Saw this film with my girlfriend and her daughter and we all absolutely loved it. The film is pretty wild really, and is a lot better than the novella IMO.

If you enjoyed the visuals of The Nightmare Before Christmas and Corpse Bride, you're going to love the visuals in Coraline. They are more updated than those two films, and a lot more colorful, but still the same visual style.

My theater had the 3D available, this was the first film for them in Read D 3D, but to be honest I don't think it added anything to the film. Although it is humorous to walk into a theater seeing all these people wearing their 3D glasses. Quite cute and funny actually.

As for the film itself, I agree entirely with The Philadelphia Inquirer: "Is it premature to assign it classic status?"

4.5 out of 5 stars!

This film has a little something for everyone. I highly recommend it, especially if you have kids.

I agree with Hurmoth. The visuals are very good for a stop-motion film and the story seemed to be more enjoyable than the novella. The 3D was subtle (similar to The Nightmare Before Christmas 3D) compared to previously released films. However, I thought it worked well since it did not have odd camera angles to show off the depth (i.e. Journey to the Center of the Earth 3D, Beowulf 3D).

If you live in the U.S. and want to see the film in 3D, make sure you go before Friday. Most digital 3D theaters that are currently showing Coraline 3D will be switching to the Jonas Brothers 3D Concert film when it opens on Friday.

Damn, it's not even out here yet :( .

Scirwode

Saw it in 3D with my daughter. It was sort of creepy and not meant for a 7 year old at all.

Yea I went with my friend and his 5yr old to see it, did seem like a few parts pushed what i would think they would put in a kids movie :p

Was an odd, but decent movie.

You guys who say it pushed what would be a kids film need to remember that this is by the same guy who did The Nightmare Before Christmas, which pushed what would be a kids film as well. And of course there's also Corpse Bride too, which this also follows the same style.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Really loved it :)

5/5 and I don't give that alot

I feel in a few years like 5 or so this will be talked about in the same way Nightmare before Christmas is.

Saw this today while waiting at the dealership, and meh it was decent. I was kind of disappointed as animated films are usually better than this...

Saw this today while waiting at the dealership, and meh it was decent. I was kind of disappointed as animated films are usually better than this...

Can you post what was wrong about it?

The story was mediocre, and was slow too. Some scenes not appropriate for kids. Characters also weren't well developed. I usually love animated movies, and they all are unique and great in their own ways, but this was just disappointing.

The story was mediocre, and was slow too. Some scenes not appropriate for kids. Characters also weren't well developed. I usually love animated movies, and they all are unique and great in their own ways, but this was just disappointing.

The film was never really meant to be for kids. No different than The Nightmare Before Christmas and Corps Bride, which the former was mentioned in the trailer for Coraline.

To each their own, I loved it. Watched it again tonight actually :D

Certainly a great film and more aimed to a mature audience than children. We did watch it with the girls 6 and 10 the youngest got quite scared at various points in the film. That said the soundtrack and detailing was amazing 5/5 (Y)

• 5 months later...

I thought this was a great movie.

In fact, I went into this with low hope, as it's yet another Tim BUrton-esk stop motion movie, where the main character stumbles into another world. . . Nightmare Before Christmas has Christmas Town, Corpse Bride had the world of the dead. However, each film has significantly different stories which makes all of them enjoyable.

Coraline has a beautiful soundtrack, a good story, but I wouldn't really recommend it for anyone under 10 as some of the scenes are a bit. . . strange. BUt this is what you get with Tim Burton. I would suggest all his Stop Motion films are meant for over 10's. Obviously some under wil enjoy them and understand, but that depends on how you bring up your children.

A good movie, one to own on DVD :)