A live-action TV series set in the ?Star Wars? cosmos has been an elusive, tantalizing prospect for years. News of the potential production first surfaced in 2005 while George Lucas was promoting ?Revenge of the Sith.? Work on the ?Clones Wars? animated feature film and Cartoon Network series, though, took creative precedence. In late 2007, Lucas revealed that he and his team were about to begin writing scripts for the live-action show. Now MTV News has learned that casting for the series is currently underway.

During the junket for the Nicolas Cage thriller ?Knowing,? star Rose Byrne let slip that Team Lucas is casting a wide net for actors to join the show. ?A lot of my friends have been auditioning for it,? she said.

According to Lucas, the show will focus on minor characters from the saga and be set in the time period between ?Revenge of the Sith? (Episode III) and the original ?Star Wars? (Episode IV). The action will follow the Rebel Alliance as it slowly gains strength against the Empire. There will be Stormtroopers, but no Jedi or Darth Vader will appear on screen. As he did with the ?Clone Wars? series, Lucas will write and shoot an entire year?s worth of episodes before looking for a cable channel on which to air the series.

Thus, with casting just now moving forward, it looks to be quite some time before fans will be able to catch some live-action ?Star Wars? on the small screen.

Bryne couldn?t have been more pleased about her time working with Lucas on 2002?s ?Attack of the Clones.? ?My experience was wonderful,? she said. ?George is a great guy. I was just there for a week, standing behind Natalie [Portman] looking very demure and supportive. 95% of the fan mail I get is from ?Star Wars? and I?ve never seen them.?

As much as she enjoyed the ?Star Wars? experience, Byrne, who was nominated for a Golden Globe for her work on FX?s ?Damages,? will not be auditioning for the live-action series. ?I?m on a show,? she said. ?I don?t know if I look that good in space.?

Source

If they outright refuse to give ANY screen time to the Jedi or even acknowledge Vader then that could be a potential turn off for me but if they can work well showing the rebel alliance and building some solid characters with the inclusion of the odd Jedi every few episodes then I think that we may have a winner on our hands (Y)

Will be looking forward to this :yes:

• 2 months later...

I hope JJ Abrams direct some!! That man can't do NO wrong, it seems!

Rose, I think I speak for all the fans that we would LOVE you to be in it!!! :D

no Jedi or Vader?

zZzzZzzZzzzzZzzzzz

Man, I think it can happen maybe once a season. Not have to be every episode. Just the Season Finale!!!

That's retarded to me as well. If they don't want spend to much $$$, just show some guy in a Jedi dress doing Weak Mind Trick is good enough for me!

• 1 month later...

They should do it like the series Rome on HBO! Minus maybe the Nudity/Sex... although if it has Nudity with Big breasted Space babes, I sure wouldn't mind! ;)

Hope it's on FOX!!!

You guys DON'T get it!

George Lucas is actually a GREAT/BRILLIANT Writer!

He is just NOT a good (Actor's) director! It's what's his PROBLEM has always been!

Star Wars is actually very Complex, but GL is not able to convey that very well because his directing skills not that good like the one who able to direct BETTER.

DON'T confuse Directing with Writing!

Movies can SEEM more intelligent, when they are well Directed, Well acted. but they are really NOT all that interesting storywise.

It's an illusion.

Most of your Oscar-winning movies are Simple stories that are exceptionally well directed, and acted! But the plot is Mundane, simple, NOT all that interesting whatsoever!

Example - These is NOTHING deep storytelling wise about the new Star Trek, but because it is Well directed it is treated as if it's in the level of great story-telling. However, It is just a simple story, actually though.

How well you can direct, makes a HUGE difference!!!

Edited by JediXAngel