Windows Live Network needs to change your ID to prevent blocking?!

I'm quite confused, I got a message (see attached) from messenger@microsoft.com this morning:

hotmailMSN.jpg

Which seems to be pretty much telling me that if I didn't change my email ID, I'd be blocked from the service. This kind of thing usually seems fishy to me, until I went to the link that was provided:

http://support.microsoft.com/gp/Messenger/en

Which legitimately seems to exist on a Microsoft server.

The page explains that I should:

"As part of this service enhancement, you must now change the ID you are using for signing into Messenger in order to continue using this service.

Please proceed with changing your sign-in ID if you received:

1) An instant message from the Windows Live Messenger Service Staff

2) An error message when signing in to Messenger

3) Information that your company has just started using Microsoft Office Live Communications Server 2005"

But why would I do that when I'm using an @hotmail.com ID to sign in. This doesn't belong to a corporate network, in fact I use a separate live ID for work.

Anybody else get this message?

Think I should really change my ID?

i've just had this, posted in general forum by mistake. i'm @hotmail.com have had it for about 9 years now, yet never seen this before and don't want to do anythign yet.

i've just had this, posted in general forum by mistake. i'm @hotmail.com have had it for about 9 years now, yet never seen this before and don't want to do anythign yet.

Hmmm yes, it sounds a little 'phishy' to me.

The site's legit as well :/

Hmm, it seems that this is a known phishing problem.

DO NOT CHANGE YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES.

Microsoft will never contact you via Instant Messaging or email unless you have authorized them to.

The last time that article was updated was in 2006, well before the Windows Live Network existed.

I logged into my account it said failed to change? should i change my pass or is it legit microsoft login and site anyways?

What do you mean it failed to change? Screenshot plz?

Wierd, i got this too... the website explains it's got something to do with Live Office Communicator, which my hotmail account doesn't use.

i think maybe a bug in Microsoft servers.

same thing happened to me with my work email address when my work implemented Office Communicator/Office Communications Server. If you have Hotmail, I suspect it's a mistake.

It said 'cannot change windows live id at this time' whilst logged into my account on the offical microsoft passport section thing.

If you block them, the windows logo where a profile picture would be....THE COLORS of windows are in the wrong places.....I SUSPECT SOMETHING PHISHY....

Hmm, it seems that this is a known phishing problem.

DO NOT CHANGE YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES.

Microsoft will never contact you via Instant Messaging or email unless you have authorized them to.

The last time that article was updated was in 2006, well before the Windows Live Network existed.

It can't be a phishing problem since I have Block all others in my privacy options. Unless theres a bug, only Microsoft could get through. :s

It said 'cannot change windows live id at this time' whilst logged into my account on the offical microsoft passport section thing.

Bit weird really, can you still login to msn?

It can't be a phishing problem since I have Block all others in my privacy options. Unless theres a bug, only Microsoft could get through. :s

phishers can spoof any email address they want to. i get spam every couple of weeks from various "microsoft.com" email accounts and i've got it set to only allow communication from allowed contacts

phishers can spoof any email address they want to. i get spam every couple of weeks from various "microsoft.com" email accounts and i've got it set to only allow communication from allowed contacts

The Windows Live team has issued an announcement. This was all an accident