Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Movie Coming! (Again!)

A big announced for today's 25th anniversary celebration of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles - the heroes in a half shell are returning to the big screen!

Variety says that the Mirage Group, which owns the property, is moving forward with a live-action film focusing on the origins of the iconic crime fighters.

The project, targeted for release in 2011, would mark the fifth big screen outing for the sewer-dwelling heroes Leonardo, Michelangelo, Donatello and Raphael as well as their master Splinter.

Legendary Pictures former chief marketing officer Scott Mednick is producing the new film alongside Galen Walker, who produced the 2007 computer-animated TMNT. Peter Laird, Gary Richardson, Frederick Fierst, Eric Crown and Napoleon Smith III are executive producing the film, which is based on the characters created by Laird and Kevin Eastman.

Laird said the film will remain true to the spirit of the original comic books. He added that the film may employ face replacement technology, which would allow the turtles to be much more expressive.

Source

Looking forward to it. I still watch the original movies from time to time and feel like a kid when I do. To be a kid again. :(

Hell, I still have a copy of their album. *jams out to Pizza Power*

You know what, as cheesy as the other movies were, the Turtles is one of the few things from my childhood that was never really ruined. I can still watch the movies or old episodes today with a happy sense of nostalgia and enjoy every minute of it. As long as they do a good job of it i'm quite looking forward to this :D

Looking forward to it! :D I'm glad that Peter Laird is involved and that the film will be close to the comics. I agree with Si that TMNT was never really ruined, I'm still a fan to this day.

If it's anything like the 2007 film, pass.

Hollywood just won't leave my childhood favourites alone :cry: Stop trying to make a quick buck ffs! Same goes for game adaptions.

Again?.. did anyone like the one that came out last year :/

I thought it was pretty good. A bit shallow in terms of story depth, but it was acceptable, in my book.

That sound you heard last week? That was millions of ?Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles? fans yelling ?Cowabunga!? at the news that the famous Heroes in a Half Shell would be returning to the big screen in a new movie scheduled to hit theaters in 2011.

While rumors of a new TMNT movie have been circulating for a while now, last week?s official announcement kicked off a nationwide celebration of the characters? 25th Anniversary.

Back in September, I spoke with ?Ninja Turtles? co-creator Peter Laird to clear up some of the initial rumors surrounding the film, and now that it?s official, he was able to offer a few more details about the return of Leonardo, Donatello, Raphael and Michelangelo to the big screen.

?I can say that at this point there are a lot of positive feelings about a ?Batman Begins?-style ?reboot,? which would, of necessity, include a retelling of the Turtles? origin story,? Laird told MTV News of early plot discussions regarding the film. ?Having said that, I would also be into an all-new story, if it was decided that that was a more desirable direction. Either way is fine with me, to be honest!?

Laird went so far as to share some specific story points that TMNT fans hold near and dear to their hearts as potential elements in the upcoming film.

?Simply telling the story of what happened in the first issue of the ?TMNT? comic book would be a pretty short movie, so I suspect other things from the Turtles? history in the comics might be brought into it,? continued Laird. ?I would not be unhappy to somehow see the tale of Baxter Stockman and the robotic ?mousers? folded into this movie, as well as some elements possibly setting up the TCRI connection for a possible sixth (or seventh) movie. But I think I?m getting a little ahead of myself there.?

As for other characters we?re likely to see in the film, the ?Ninja Turtles? co-creator said the villainous Shredder would be a necessity for any TMNT origin story, and also mentioned that both intrepid reporter April O?Neil and vigilante Casey Jones came up during recent creative discussions.

Finally, Laird also offered a few more details regarding the way in which the live-action filming and computer-generated effects will blend to bring the Turtles to the screen in the upcoming film.

?The basic idea, as I understand it, is to do an all live action shoot, with actors and stuntmen in full Turtle suits,? said Laird. ?To add expressiveness to the Turtles? faces which would be difficult if not impossible to get with animatronics and/or puppetry, there would be ?face replacement,? with CGI Turtle faces superimposed on the live action performers? heads.?

?This technology has been proven to be incredibly effective if done correctly,? added Laird. ?Look at the character of Davey Jones in the ?Pirates of the Caribbean? movies, with his mass of writhing tentacles? an incredible effect.?

Source

the problem I saw with some of the movies was the lack of Shredder and seriously disappointing enemies. The CGI was pretty boring since it was almost as if was a Raphael movie, or that new wolverine movies, they are a team! The turtles are pretty cool but their enemies is what made them really interesting. Hopefully they won't make a "based on the real world, and make it really about the fights. Hopefully Usagi Yojimbo can be used and stop making Casey Jones the main hero, he is even less than a secondary character.

If anything, they could just base the movie on the arcade games and it would be 10x better.

The Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles are coming to DVD and Blu-Ray in a collection with all four of the films featuring the heroes - Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles II: The Secret of the Ooze, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles III: Turtles in Time, and TMNT.

The Blu-Ray Collection, which retails for $84.99 includes all four films, as well as the following collectible items: Comic Book, Sketch with Co-Creator Peter Laird's Autograph, Radical Beanie Hat, 8 TMNT Character Cards

5rszzbycnvjt3krn8dex.jpg

The DVD Collection will retail for $39.92 and includes a Tin DVD Travel Case and four cloth turtle masks

These collections are the definitive way to collect all four of the Ninja Turtle movies. Both the Blu-Ray and standard DVD collections will arrive on shelves June 4, 2009.