Windows 7 Release Delayed Because Of Bugs

Off topic but my, Microsoft's translator looks awesome. :o

Holy cow.. Bing really has their crap together don't they? I am really impressed with Microsoft lately.

Now only if Google could have made their Translator that way!

Yeah, wow... I hadn't seen the Bing Translator before, but that is incredibly slick, isn't it? I'm REALLY impressed with Bing... I've been using Google for years, and now find myself using Bing more, which I NEVER expected to happen...

not to stoke an old flame, but perhaps there would be less bugs had the testers actually received more than 2 builds. And told that any bugs submitted were resolved in a later build we never saw.

EXACTLY! That was my argument as well... Updates should have been released to testers more regularly. What was the purpose of testing 7000 when Microsoft was already at build 7040 (Or whatever)? I've been in Beta programs before, but have never seen this before... It didn't make any sense...

I don't know, I don't really remember hearing anything about bugs previously. Windows 7 seems very solid already, so I don't really buy it...

This is just about as much info as I can give RTM this month (july) I know this because I work on campus at Microsoft.

you guys are so funny with your guessing games. :)

I hope they fix the router bugs and bluetooth issues as well. A lot of people I know, including me are experiencing them

What router problems are you facing? My WNR works perfectly with Windows 7, in fact my sister's XP machine craps out more than mine does

what is this silent elevation?

Its a new UAC feature, to automatically elevate certain binaries that are part of windows to reduce the amount of UAC prompts thrown up when performing common non-harmful administrative tasks

My only complaint with Bing so far, is how you find all of these services... I can't find any reference to their Translator service on the main page, nor is it under the More selection on search pages... No wonder I never saw it before...

Oh now, the anti-Microsoft campaign is starting again...

There has never been a bug with UAC. I agree with Microsoft about the issue; if a script can change the UAC, then it means that the security was already compromised to begin with.

Uhm... The point is that a program running as standard user shouldn't be able to automatically make itself administrator. Countering this by saying "yeah, well, you already compromised security by running it as a standard user!" is silly.

If OS X allows a user to write a script to change security settings (which can easily be done with keyboard/mouse emulation), does that man that the adminstrator security prompt is insecure....seriously...sigh

Well, the administrator prompt is already insecure (and the standard user credentials prompt even more so) by design, but anyway.

If a program running as a standard user can use automation to disable a security setting without consent from the user and thus gain access to some resource that normally wouldn't be available to it, then that is problematic. I do not believe that is possible on OS X like you claim, because actually changing the setting would bring up a sudo prompt (although then we're back to my last paragraph, since whatever doing the automation could just spoof the sudo credentials prompt).

That's not the issue here though, the issue is that UAC has a whitelist of programs that can bypass the admin approval prompt. This means a standard user process can inject code into one of these programs and then create an object as administrator and thus gain full access to the system. This makes AAM useless to the point where you might as well turn it off.

There is actually only one secure configuration on Windows, and that is one where you have a separate admin and user account, and do all administrative tasks by actually logging on as the admin. When you're logged on as admin, you also have to avoid running anything that the regular user has touched. Running a program as admin by clicking on it from the standard user and then entering your admin credentials is not secure, and also has to be avoided. Obviously this is not user friendly, but it is secure.

Of course, when it comes to a regular home PC... I'm not so sure if it matters that much. If a trojan infects just your user or the whole machines doesn't really matter, everything you care about is available as just the user. The admin rights have no special significance if you're a home user, although you could claim that if it only infected the user it would be easier to clean up so you don't have to reinstall the OS, and that it wouldn't affect system stability to the same degree.

any delays related to improvement of the pruduct are Welcome ... as Windows 7 is 'next main OS' many will use for lot years ... in fact i'm still unhappy about the RC2 skip ...

wow now thats an awesome translator..

microsoft/bing translator is nicer and translates more accurately than google translator...i'll be using it from now now

Holy cow.. Bing really has their crap together don't they? I am really impressed with Microsoft lately.

If you think that's awesome, check out the Microsoft Translator on my blog ;)

This is news? Win7 has bugs? SHOCKING..! You guys realise that when it's released there will be an additional 2,000+ bugs found over the next few years that they'll fix. And in turn, release a Service Pack or 3 (again, those packs will be delayed due to ... wait for it ... bugs).

It's called Microsoft History.

This is news? Win7 has bugs? SHOCKING..! You guys realise that when it's released there will be an additional 2,000+ bugs found over the next few years that they'll fix. And in turn, release a Service Pack or 3 (again, those packs will be delayed due to ... wait for it ... bugs).

Same can be said about OSX... but hey... you keep on being a troll. :)

:sleep: