How to center your pinned icons on the Windows 7 Taskbar

Well, when i post a desktop screenshot on 'Desktop thread', usually i receive some pm?s and people asking the same question: "How do you center your buttons on taskbar?", so i decide to make this thread (mods feel free to move this to 'tips and tricks' if you consider this a tip).

1.First tou have a normal taskbar

post-123877-1246601298_thumb.jpg

2.Create an empty folder somewhere (after this procedure you can choose to hide it)

3.Create a new toolbar on your taskbar with this empty folder.

post-123877-1246601536_thumb.jpg

4.Now unlock your taskbar, stretch it, arrange your toolbars like on screenshot and right click 'new folder' and untick both 'show text' and 'show title'

post-123877-1246602176_thumb.jpg

5.Now shrink taskbar, center your buttons as you like and lock taskbar.

Now, you have your buttons centered as your preferences.

post-123877-1246602434_thumb.jpg

Edited by warwagon

This is so much more difficult than it really is. Just move around the "quick launch" bar and that's it. No need for adding empty taskbars.

Not bad, thanks :) . It would be cool if it was really centered and moved when new programs were launched rather than branching to the right.

This is so much more difficult than it really is. Just move around the "quick launch" bar and that's it. No need for adding empty taskbars.

please, can you tell me where is the "quick launch" on windows 7? Am i missing someting?

please, can you tell me where is the "quick launch" on windows 7? Am i missing someting?

You can make one, but there isn't one there by default

How do icons expand? Like when you open an application that doesn't have an icon on the taskbar.

You can make one, but there isn't one there by default

thats the same process as creating the empty folder toolbar, so its not really any easier using that :p

It does look cool, but it just doesn't seem as useful or as functionality as the default arrangement.

• 1 year later...

Great tip, thanks. Until now I'd been using an application to do this, hadn't even occured to me. This is much better as I don't need one on startup and it was a tad buggy anyway.

Oh and OP, I couldn't bother you for that wallpaper could I? Much appreciated!

*embarrassed*

• 3 months later...

Seems like it would just be a big waste of space..

It's taskbar space you likely won't use anyway. If you have nothing on the taskbar but a few icons, this can make it look nicer. If you do a lot of stuff with the taskbar I doubt it'd make any sense to center your icons anyway.

Seems like it would just be a big waste of space..

I was thinking the same thing. It doesn't look amazing either because the icons are never really centered this way. The icons only expand to the right, instead of both ways like the Mac OS X dock.

Would be nice if they could really be centered and expand properly, just like the Longhorn alphas.

• 3 weeks later...