Multiple explorer.exe's with no window open?

I see this now that I have closed all Explorer windows. The icon in the superbar no longer displays Explorer as running. *shrug* I'm not sure how I can diagnose this further, or understand what's going on. :s Maybe this is how it works in previous Windows versions too, and I have just not noticed?

post-21023-1250599736.png

I'm guessing you have 'launch new windows in separate processes' on then? The most I've ever seen with no windows open is 2 explorer processes. Do they go away after some time?

it could happen when you have selected launch new windows in separate processes or your explorer's first instance just became unresponsive & when you tried to launch explorer windows again windows started multiple instances, but since first explorer was holding back on locks subsequent instances could not display the window. just force terminate all the instances & restart explorer.exe from run. this should solve your problem?

I'm guessing you have 'launch new windows in separate processes' on then? The most I've ever seen with no windows open is 2 explorer processes. Do they go away after some time?

No, I actually haven't (I checked after posting and that mode doesn't seem to be the default in Windows 7), and no windows to be open in their separate processes either, even if I would have. Hmm... :s

No, I didn't see them go away, and I was wondering if I could kill the processes in the task manager, haha. :p