Bing grabs 10 percent of search market

Bing grabs 10 percent of search market

by Lance Whitney

Microsoft's new Bing search service is the fastest-growing U.S. search engine among the top 10, according to a Nielsen report released Monday.

The total amount of searches on Bing rang in at 1.1 billion for the month of August, a leap of 22.1 percent over July, winning Microsoft a 10.7 percent share of the search engine market.

Google remained in the top spot with a commanding 64.6 percent share, accounting for 7 billion searches in August, a gain of 2.6 percent over July. Yahoo saw its search results drop 4.2 percent for the month to 1.7 billion, earning it 16 percent of the market.

(Credit: Nielsen)

Other players in the top 10 included AOL Search in fourth place with 333 million searches and Ask.com Search in fifth with 186 million searches.

Similar studies have also seen a boost in Microsoft's search business. An August report from ComScore discovered that Microsoft's share of the global search engine market lept 41 percent from July 2008 to July 2009. Bing was introduced in May, taking the place of Microsoft's Live Search.

Earlier this week, Microsoft showed off a "visual search" feature for Bing that returns thumbnail images for at least some search results. Microsoft reportedly will be debuting a Bing 2.0 sometime soon sporting a variety of new features.

Source: cnet

Source: cnet

Kind of hard not get to 10% when you power MSN/Live and Yahoo, number should really be higher based on buying market. The only way they will grow that awful engine is to buy out competition anyway.

Kind of hard not get to 10% when you power MSN/Live and Yahoo, number should really be higher based on buying market. The only way they will grow that awful engine is to buy out competition anyway.

You obviously didn't read the article. Yahoo has 16%, Bing itself all on its own has 10%. Combined thats 26%. Google have only 64%

What exactly is awful about it? I've been using it exclusively since it was introduced and have found everything I need just as easily as with Google.

You obviously didn't read the article. Yahoo has 16%, Bing itself all on its own has 10%. Combined thats 26%. Google have only 64%

Ahh, I did the read the arcticle but missed this was July, when Bing was not powering Yahoo yet.

Ahh, I did the read the arcticle but missed this was July, when Bing was not powering Yahoo yet.

Bing is still not powering Yahoo and by all accounts it wont't be till early 2010. Do some research before trolling Microsoft. ;)

What exactly is awful about it? I've been using it exclusively since it was introduced and have found everything I need just as easily as with Google.

Anyone who has bothered to actually use it before formulating an opinion can see why its growth is so strong. Bing has much more to offer than its competitors and usually returns what I am looking for in the first couple hits. Microsoft finally has search done right.

only 64%? Thats a huge market.

AS for Bing..it's quite cool.

I wonder how much live.com had before it got rebranded.

Microsoft learned some lessons from Google, Bing has the simple name, simple page design, with only the box to type what you want, and the button to search.Not the "big, fat, heavy" page like Yahoo or MSN.

What sounds really unique for me, is the video preview thing, when you hover with the mouse on the video results, haven't seen it anywhere else so far and it is really cool.

not really though

They are when you've had a Google account and have been training Google as to what you prefer to see as top hits for ages now.

I will start using Bing IF their maps have hi-res sat photo of my area. Google have it albeit 5 years old.

Google it is for me for a long time :) Uses less bandwidth than bing. They load too much images. Google only loads one image (their logo).

You know the one time I used Bing, it found something for me Google couldn't. I'm glad there is more competition around. Microsoft's got a great product here. They are (way) late to the game but they are trying to take it to places where Google is not.

I for one enjoy this news and welcome our new Bing overl...

wait nvm thats going too far but you get my point :p

And for people who says Bing results are "awful". Its in my opinion pretty relative. ALl I am willing to say is that its different, but awful seem quite a strong word to use.