How to Reinstate Windows Mail on Windows 7

If you are one those people who are simply not happy with Thunderbird or Windows Live Mail and miss good ole' Windows Mail from Vista then here's your chance to get it back and install it on Windows 7 32 or 64 bit. Enjoy!

1. Download both Windows Mail 32 bit/64 bit versions and the "Take Ownership" files from HERE

2. Unzip the contents and click on the "Take Ownership" registry shortcut to activate it.

3. Go to your Programs folder and Take Ownership of the Windows Mail Folder. ** (make a copy of the folder in case something goes wrong) **

4. Now Delete the original folder and replace with the Vista ones.

5. Open the Windows Mail folder and right click on the WinMail.exe and create a shortcut.

6. Rename the shortcut to Windows Mail and the Pin it to the Start Menu or the Taskbar.

7. Start Windows Mail and Enjoy.

**Thanks to Naturecannon for this tutorial**

Edited by Scorbing

I personally dislike Windows Live Mail. I find it very sluggish and slow at times and its 32 bit only. Thunderbird I really don't care for much either.

i don't see much difference bt Windows Mail and Wlindows Live Mail, do you?

Considering that they're both OE with a different interface on them, so no.

I actually want to know how to uninstall them from vista

If you were to completely remove Windows Mail from Vista, Outlook 2000/2003/2007 will not function properly. Why Outlook has dependencies on OE, I'll never understand.

Live Mail doesn't let you edit mail by source. It will be gradually even more dumbed down like WLMovie Maker. :p Btw, how can Media Player 11 be made to run on Windows 7 without errors/conflicts with WMP12, iamwhoiam?

Considering that they're both OE with a different interface on them, so no.

that's like saying Firefox 3.5 is just NEtscape1 with a new interface

Live Mail doesn't let you edit mail by source. It will be gradually even more dumbed down like WLMovie Maker. :p Btw, how can Media Player 11 be made to run on Windows 7 without errors/conflicts with WMP12, iamwhoiam?

Ive amde a guide on winmatrix forums, but one problem with having wmp11 on windows 7 is that for some reason you will no longer be able to double click mp3 files becuase that will cause an error but they will still be playable if you open them through media player.

Calendar, Photo Gallery, Media Player, Ink Ball, and for 7 Ultimate, Dream Scenes, Texas Hold 'Em and Tinker can also be made to work.

You have any links? I'm having a tough time finding one for Texas Hold 'Em and Inkball.

Edit: Nevermind; changing up the search string I was using yielded better results. I got it sorted now.

Edited by 2Cold Scorpio

You have any links? I'm having a tough time finding one for Texas Hold 'Em and Inkball.

Edit: Nevermind; changing up the search string I was using yielded better results. I got it sorted now.

I'm not having any luck getting the search string right, mind sharing? If I have to load Vista Ultimate in a VM to get the files that isn't a problem.

I'm not having any luck getting the search string right, mind sharing? If I have to load Vista Ultimate in a VM to get the files that isn't a problem.

Inkball: http://thetechcorner.net/2009/01/11/inkball-on-windows-7/

Texas Hold 'Em & Tinker: http://www.wincert.net/forum/index.php?/to...l-and-windows-7

Hopefully the mods won't mind me sharing. :)

If you were to completely remove Windows Mail from Vista, Outlook 2000/2003/2007 will not function properly. Why Outlook has dependencies on OE, I'll never understand.

Umm, what? Of course it doesn't.

If you delete something that breaks MAPI then of course MAPI clients like Outlook won't work. But that's got nothing to do with Windows Mail / OE.

It will be gradually even more dumbed down like WLMovie Maker. :p

Have you tried the latest version of Windows Live Movie Maker under Windows 7? I'm actually quite impressed by it, it puts some paid for solutions to shame, ie: I no longer use PowerDirector 7 which costed me close to $100 USD because Live Movie Maker does everything I need from PD7 and more without crashing one single time.

Umm, what? Of course it doesn't.

The two of the offending DLLs are msoeres.dll and msoe.dll. So, umm, of course it does. You'd think for a MS employee that you'd know a bit more about the software you work with every day.

If you delete something that breaks MAPI then of course MAPI clients like Outlook won't work. But that's got nothing to do with Windows Mail / OE.

Well, I can most certainly tell you that when I've tried to load Office 2000, 2003 or 2007 after removing Outlook Express/Windows Mail, Outlook failed to load because of the dependencies on the DLLs in the OE/WM folders. It has nothing to do with breaking MAPI and everything to do with the Office team using dependencies from OE/WM.

Too bad you can't run the XP Windows Explorer on Windows 7. The **** in Windows 7 is what is mainly keeping me from upgrading.