The new forum order revealed

Nope, no skin yet.. but a heads up for our new forum setup that I want to implement next week.

I took into consideration the popular forums that need more exposure (Gamers) and also put all the member submitted stuff into one category (news/tech guides etc)

The Windows Support forum was made a bit smaller and a lot easier to navigate and Mac/Linux now have similar sections, easier to navigate and remember, customization has now taken a back seat since it isn't that popular here anymore, so I dilluted the sections a bit.

post-2-1261130650_thumb.png

Please check it for comments.

This is not a thread to suggest yet more forums, but to see if I missed anything with the setup. Admins & some Supervisors are happy with this already.

And yes, its heavily censored :p

The forum order is shown on the default IPB3 theme. This is not our new theme!

So far so good. One minor point - wouldn't it make sense to merge 'Customizing Windows' and 'Customization and Skinning Section' into one forum, with a sub-forum for animated wallpapers and WindowBlinds skin?

Also, enforce tagging in the Customization area. E.g. which Windows version is the skin for etc.

So far so good. One minor point - wouldn't it make sense to merge 'Customizing Windows' and 'Customization and Skinning Section' into one forum, with a sub-forum for animated wallpapers and WindowBlinds skin?

Also, enforce tagging in the Customization area. E.g. which Windows version is the skin for etc.

I thought about that, but the customizing section with the windowblinds section is doing well on its own, so i left it.. don't want to dilute it too far.

Mmm... I don't know. Looks "all over the place" in the screenshot.

A lot of empty space, that could have been used better.

Thats a skin issue, just ignore it.. Our skin is wayyyyy better ;)

It's looks pretty great but I still prefer the current look. :( .. Or as Neobond said it may look way better once uploaded. :-)

It's looks pretty great but I still prefer the current look. :( .. Or as Neobond said it may look way better once uploaded. :-)

Don't worry, they are not using the skin in the image, read the title and post once again :)

---

@Neobond, looking good. All the forums look fun :p I can't wait to see it, next week? Will it be with or without the new skin?

BTW. look at the Introduce Yourself sub-forum. The description text has a spelling error. It's missing a 'W'

wow, combining the xp and vista support forums. thats a big change, from an organizational point of view it makes sense because previous versions of windows can be combined as support for them should fall. but from a technical perspective xp and vista are very different so support that works for xp may not for vista and vice versa, surely it makes more sense just to put xp and eveything older in one forum and vista and 7 in another.....

wow, combining the xp and vista support forums. thats a big change, from an organizational point of view it makes sense because previous versions of windows can be combined as support for them should fall. but from a technical perspective xp and vista are very different so support that works for xp may not for vista and vice versa, surely it makes more sense just to put xp and eveything older in one forum and vista and 7 in another.....

Not really, we'll require users to tag their support question with [xp] or [vista]

Actually, thinking about it I think you're right, see the updated Windows Support section (as shown from the admincp)

post-2-1261138047.png

Not really, we'll require users to tag their support question with [xp] or [vista]

Actually, thinking about it I think you're right, see the updated Windows Support section (as shown from the admincp)

well I'm sure having tag would be fine but yeah I think the way you've shown in the screenshot is really good. I really think that xp and vista shouldn't be in the same forum. thanks for taking it onboard :)

Edited by mad_onion

Looks ok! Why not allow users to modify the forum layout as to how they want [Like ajax drag and drop)? Or is that being too picky? :p I hate having to scroll down all the way to the recreational forums for the digital camera lab =P

Looks ok! Why not allow users to modify the forum layout as to how they want [Like ajax drag and drop)? Or is that being too picky? :p I hate having to scroll down all the way to the recreational forums for the digital camera lab =P

;) :shiftyninja:

Oh yeh, I never noticed that. I consider that a major change! Can't decide if it's for the best (as they're different OSs) but they're also rather similar so maybe it's a good idea?