• Added a shellstyle (thanks to KoL)

Screenshot (clickable) & download:

XimianS.jpg

Download at DeviantArt

Extra:

Ximian Y'z Toolbar theme

Ximian IconPackager theme

Edited by Schmoove

Schmoove please default the theme to use XD2's default BitStream font, it renders perfectly on Windows and is compatible with Windows full screen text smoothing (NOT ClearType which makes you dizzy, it's the one silimar to OSX), which the trick for other fonts I will later post on Neowin forums.

Schmoove please default the theme to use XD2's default BitStream font, it renders perfectly on Windows and is compatible with Windows full screen text smoothing (NOT ClearType which makes you dizzy, it's the one silimar to OSX), which the trick for other fonts I will later post on Neowin forums.

Sorry, but no. I am not going to change that.

I have the fonts and I tried them. What I found out is that they render completely different on Windows then they do on Red Hat (Ximian). The spacing is between the characters is larger then on Linux for example.

It looks really akward if you use those fonts. Besides that I just don't think it is a pretty font (in Linux it is).... well at least not on Windows.

So the fonts stay where they are, if you really want it with Bitstream fonts, be my guest. You can mod it for personal use, grab Stylebuilder and change it, it is 30 seconds work.

You can mod it for personal use

Are you sure you are allowed to impose this kind of restrictions when you port this theme? Isn't it under a GPL-compitable licence; meaning that you will have to grant us the right to release our mods?

But I love the theme, and I am glad you ported it. :shifty:

Are you sure you are allowed to impose this kind of restrictions when you port this theme? Isn't it under a GPL-compitable licence; meaning that you will have to grant us the right to release our mods?

But I love the theme, and I am glad you ported it.?:shifty::

lol mod it for personal use doesn't necessarrily mean to re-release it:pp

and by the way Schmoove, the problem actually isn't on the spacing of the font, it's due to a bug in Windows' font smoothing mechanism that messes up the thickness of fonts (therefore hard to read) when redrawn (and due to the fact Bitstream forced Vera Sans' font smoothing to be on nomatter how small the size is)

I guess I will tweak the font a bit when I got time and anyway, I did mod your theme, but instead of editing the font face to Vera Sans I simply changed it to Tahoma... Verdana is too wide and wastes too much of my screen space :whistle::

great job Schmoove! I wonder will Ximian want to "acquire" your style for promotion purposes...

Edited by AquaDex

But I love the theme, and I am glad you ported it.?:shifty::

It took me a while to create this... even if it is a port.

It isn't really respectfull to rip my work (or work from any other skinner/themer/artist) without asking me.

I know that some people would love to grab a theme change a few pixels and re-release it with their own name stamped on it, but I just don't think that is the way to act.

Look I can't restrict anybody from screwing up what I made... I mean you can grab it change it and re-release it without asking me, I can't really stop you.

Though a decent person doesn't do this. If I encounter rips I will do everything within my possibilities to get it offline (that is if it was released without my permission).

You're free to think of this whatever you want.... This is my point of view, please respect that.

Edited by Schmoove

Schmoove,

Just wanted to let you know I think this is absolutely excellent work, this instantly became my new favorite... great job! (Y)

The theme is nice, but if your porting a theme or a program under a GPL or doing anything to a GPL licensed thing, you have to allow mods. Let me ask, did you get permission to port that theme?If not, then thats being a bit (well, maybe a lot) hypocritical.

The theme is nice, but if your porting a theme or a program under a GPL or doing anything to a GPL licensed thing, you have to allow mods. Let me ask, did you get permission to port that theme?If not, then thats being a bit (well, maybe a lot) hypocritical.

Look I stated my point of view.... take it or leave it.

I can't stop people from modding and re-releasing, but I don't like it.......... end of discussion.

Funny you didn't state whether you got permission or not. I'm not saying its a rip, but to say we can't unofficially release a mod of a GPL theme (Your theme has to be GPL if its based off GPLed work/images) is going against the license. :whistle:

Now thats being an ######. I hope someone does go ahead and release a mod for the hell of it. :happy:

Funny you didn't state whether you got permission or not. I'm not saying its a rip, but to say we can't unofficially release a mod of a GPL theme (Your theme has to be GPL if its based off GPLed work/images) is going against the license. :whistle:

Now thats being an ######. I hope someone does go ahead and release a mod for the hell of it. :happy:

I had contact with Ximian about permission. They took a look and they really liked it. I have mails of Ximian people telling me that I did a great job on the port and that they really like it.

Though they couldn't say anything about permission. Well as it is released under GPL I technically have permission as long as I credit the original author, which I did in the installer. So the whole thing about permission is not an issue.

As I explained above, I don't like people modding other peoples work. If you play by the rules you people have the right to mod it and re-release it, but that does NOT mean that I have to agree with that.

I don't see you bitching in KoL's threads about his MacOSX ports for permission to mod it. Well I highly doubt that he has permission from Apple to port it, because I know that Apple just doesn't give permission for that. Infact Apple took down applications as Y'z Dock because it is their 'invention'.

Same with Binary porting Watercolor, that is Microsoft's artwork.

Is it when you 'steal' (in this case I don't see the harm in it) artwork you suddenly DO have the power to grant people permission??? I port a GPL licensed theme and suddenly I DO NOT have the power to grant people permission...... that is the world upsidedown if you ask me.

The GPL says I have permission... I don't have any commercial intentions with it, it is free advertisement for Ximian.... so actually I can't see why they should have a problem with it, especially as they stated they love it.

I have the feeling you just want me to say that people can freely mod it and re-release it.

Well sorry, but I am not going to say that. I do not like it if people would 'steal' my work and put their name on it.

If you want to make a different Ximian port, why don't you just get of your lazy ass and make a port yourself.... grabbing other peoples work is just CHEAP.

Again, I can't stop anybody from doing it, but again I do not like it and I will do anything within my possibilities to stop it.

I'm sure there are still decent people around though, who do respect the work other people do.

If you don't agree with this, that's fine with me..... but I'm not the ###### here.

If you do not appreciate the work I did, then just get the hell out of here.

I don't see you bitching in KoL's threads about his MacOSX ports for permission to mod it. Well I highly doubt that he has permission from Apple to port it, because I know that Apple just doesn't give permission for that. Infact Apple took down applications as Y'z Dock because it is their 'invention'.

Same with Binary porting Watercolor, that is Microsoft's artwork.

Firstly, I was not bitching about your permission to release this theme. Without a doubt you could release it without Ximian's approval and not be in any trouble because of the GPL license. What I was bitching about was your failure to comply with the GPL.

You modded a GPL work, so unapproved (by you) mods are allowed as it falls within the fair use policy of the GPL. I don't care what you say, you do not own the images or the theme, its GPL. If you don't like it you shouldn't have ported a GPLed theme. Next time try making something yourself.

I port a GPL licensed theme and suddenly I DO NOT have the power to grant people permission...... that is the world upsidedown if you ask me.

The GPL says I have permission... I don't have any commercial intentions with it, it is free advertisement for Ximian.... so actually I can't see why they should have a problem with it, especially as they stated they love it

That's exactly it. You released a mod of something under the GPL. We don't NEED your permission. Like I said, I understand you have permission to release the theme, what you do NOT have is the permission to deny us to release any mods on this theme. The GPL works both ways you know. (Such a great license) :whistle:

I have the feeling you just want me to say that people can freely mod it and re-release it.

Well sorry, but I am not going to say that. I do not like it if people would 'steal' my work and put their name on it.

If you want to make a different Ximian port, why don't you just get of your lazy ass and make a port yourself.... grabbing other peoples work is just CHEAP.

Sorry, we don't need it buddy. :D It's GPL. It's not your images, and its under a license that allows us to release mods.
If you do not appreciate the work I did, then just get the hell out of here.

Oh I do. But I highly suggest you read the GPL. It's not the license that lets you mod whatever you want and deny the right to release mods that you think it is.

Wow some response compared to mine.I can tell some thought really went into that. And apparently you haven't read about the GPL or just plain don't give a **** about it. You know what?I think maybe I will release a mod on this theme just to smite you and teach you a lesson or two about the GPL.

The nerve of these porters. I'd like to see you do something that isnt an imitation of another OS's theme. Bluecurve and Ximian, oh how wonderful.

EDIT: And I'm sorry it had to come down to this, but your lack of respect for the GPL and the audacity of what you said made me.

Edited by kairon

Wow some response compared to mine.I can tell some thought really went into that. And apparently you haven't read about the GPL or just plain don't give a **** about it. You know what?I think maybe I will release a mod on this theme just to smite you and teach you a lesson or two about the GPL.

The nerve of these porters. I'd like to see you do something that isnt an imitation of another OS's theme. Bluecurve and Ximian, oh how wonderful.

EDIT: And I'm sorry it had to come down to this, but your lack of respect for the GPL and the audacity of what you said made me.

I'm really curious about your opinion of modding WaterColor and the MacOSX ports.

Do you think those porters are allowed to grant permission???

hehe, lets get back on topic.  this is a wonderful port.  you did a great job.  Wonder why people didn't complain like this about bluecurve? :l

Beats me too....