We can run Android apps in Windows

We can run Android apps in Windows, says newly-funded BlueStacks

After working for nearly three years on a solution for delivering Android applications on systems with x86-based processors, Silicon Valley company BlueStacks today has officially "opened for business" with $7.5 million of series A funding.

BlueStacks started simply enough. After playing with her father's Android phone, the child of one of BlueStacks' founding engineers asked if she could get those apps on her MSI netbook.

And in short, that's what BlueStacks has done with virtualization and shared drivers. Android apps can run either as apps or as icons on the Windows desktop, or the whole system can switch from Windows to the Android OS. It is an ideal solution for convertible notebooks. In notebook mode, you can run Windows, and in tablet mode, you can run Android.

"From the naive user's point of view, these are all just apps," said BlueStacks President and CEO Rosen Sharma. "They don't care if it's webOS or Windows or Android or that it's virtualization. In the end, it's just an app."...

Now officially out of "stealth mode", BlueStacks will be showing off its Android + Windows solution at Computex in Taipei beginning on May 31.

http://www.betanews.com/article/We-can-run-Android-apps-in-Windows-says-newlyfunded-BlueStacks/1306289679

post-376446-0-12246300-1306308637.jpg

Most android apps are not native. They are made on separate framework. Just like Java or .NET. So it can reproduced on another OS. Like Mono (.net alternative, which is available for linux).

And is there a reason why anybody sane would want to do this apart from general pass time IT expert doodling (and, possibly, debugging under unexpectedly weird circumstances)?

I'd give stupid amounts of praise to the opposite though - run Windows apps on Android!

Then I could at least show a finger to all those lame Hello World / Entry Course level apps that are thousands in the Market, because I just can't be arsed to fiddle with damn smelly cup of Java juice.

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW it's COOOOOL :woot: :woot: :woot: :woot: :woot: :woot: :woot: :woot:

Why not just download the Android development environment and run yourself a Virtual phone?

Its free and easy to do

It's lame bro and it's not as cool as what you think :no:

Believe in BlueStacks!! they are making something very cool and very easy for everyday work :yes: :woot:

Forgive my ignorance but what would be the point of such a venture? Surely anything an android app can do your computer can already do?

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW it's COOOOOL :woot: :woot: :woot: :woot: :woot: :woot: :woot: :woot:

Believe in BlueStacks!! they are making something very cool and very easy for everyday work :yes: :woot:

Getting paid by BlueStacks much?....

I could see a point if perhaps the netbook could swivel the lcd panel and turn into a tablet, thus activating the virtual instance if android (having touch technology too)

But I don't see much fun in having to use the keyboard and mouse.

Also, isn't Dalvik a virtual machine in it's own right? We need more abstraction layers and virtualization. It's not enough already. And put it in the cloud inside a cloud while we're at it.

AYhTc.png

Really? I don't know how you have set it up then as its fine on my PC. Albeit it runs slowly on my laptop but then its a laptop so its what I expect

methinks you protest too much

Also are we going to get a plugin usb accelerometer?, I can't wait to pick up my PC and tilt it around to play some of these android apps

I can't wait to pick up my PC and tilt it around to play some of these android apps

LOL....You really think that you will be able to do this?

LOL....You really think that you will be able to do this?

NOPE!! LOL :D

Maybe with one of my little Antec 300 cases but certainly not my old Armour case that I have. I can barely lift that bad boy when its empty :D hehe

I remember x86android from AGES ago because I tried it.

I wouldn't say this is new at all, they've just built a bit of an emulator for it...

I remember x86android from AGES ago because I tried it.

I wouldn't say this is new at all, they've just built a bit of an emulator for it...

As far as I know, Android-x86 was a port of the entire Android OS to the x86 architecture while this is an Android Compatibility Layer for Windows.

Why?

Is there some shortage of apps and web apps available to Windows? What is available for Android that would even be worth running on Windows that you can't do with native Windows apps or websites anyway?

Also, isn't Dalvik a virtual machine in it's own right? We need more abstraction layers and virtualization. It's not enough already. And put it in the cloud inside a cloud while we're at it.

AYhTc.png

Dalvik is an alternative Java VM, all this will be doing is providing Windows with a VM capable of interpreting Dalvik code, presumably not all that dissimilar to the way that Oracle Java works