doubt Forza 4 will be 1080p....expect Forza 5 to be 1600p though, so that's good there...

i think Soldier is right, for the first two-three years most first party MS games will be dual version. we all know that what MS and Sony mean by their ten year lifespan is general support, not primary position. there's no way they will let everything from iPhone 6 to social gaming sneak up on them, it's time for the brute force approach to show gamers who's boss :whistle:

Yeah of course, anyone would be a fool to believe that the half way through it's life means they are running another 5 years without a new console. Same situation with Sony. They will release/show a new console late 2011 early 2012 I believe for a possible Xmas 2012 release, all the while they will no doubt continue producing games for their current machines though, right to the death of the machine. Just look how long the PS2 has gone on for and how long the original Live was kept running.

with all the detail theyve putting into the cars and stuff, i wonder if theres a mode where you can be a mechanic or something using kinect, like taking pieces off the car

there's really no need for 60fps in a racing game, though, 30fps or there about will work just as well!

Are you kidding? A racing game is exactly where you'd want 60fps!

with all the detail theyve putting into the cars and stuff, i wonder if theres a mode where you can be a mechanic or something using kinect, like taking pieces off the car

That's a pretty cool idea now that you mention it, but I dunno if that's in. Something to look forward to in the next one if it doesn't make it in 4.

That's a pretty cool idea now that you mention it, but I dunno if that's in. Something to look forward to in the next one if it doesn't make it in 4.

well i was thinking like you could have mode thats a cross between that 'Operation' game (http://www.tvscoop.tv/operation-game.jpg) , Nintendogs, and Half Life 2's gravity gun, where you get a damaged car and you try to fix it, maybe you or a friend crashed the car in-game... not sure what kind of damage model they have, if this is possible or not

it could be semi-realistic in a way, you use gestures that look like you are doing everything with your bare hands and superhuman strength, the tools arent going to be simulated much.... like you literally 'rip' pieces off the car instead of unscrewing things, probably not down to the chassis but you will definitely get to see more parts exposed, you straighten dented bodywork by pulling it straight, you can pick an engine straight out of a car with one hand, it would stay floating in mid air where you left it, and for parts which are too complicated or delicate to be fixed by brute strength, you can sort of stroke or rub on it to fix it... then at the end, you slap everything back onto the car

basically an extension of the AutoVista mode, where everything you do fixes something on the car

hey ironman, why? racing games there's no a lot of movement overall, i mean it's quite one-directional and there's very little "twitch" movement.

carmatic - oh no, don't suggest that, Forza is good because it's quite realistic, playing a mechanic with superpowers will just seem to out of place!

That book with the special edition looks nice. Does it give an indication of it's size or how many pages?

A 96-page book :D

hey ironman, why? racing games there's no a lot of movement overall, i mean it's quite one-directional and there's very little "twitch" movement.

carmatic - oh no, don't suggest that, Forza is good because it's quite realistic, playing a mechanic with superpowers will just seem to out of place!

There needs to be a sense of speed. Not from the cars so much but from the scenery. I'd much rather have a quick and fluid scenery, guardrails and even tarmac going by at 720 than less fluid 30fps at 1080.

• 4 weeks later...

Top Gear and Forza 4: From "Car Soccer" to "Car Bowling"

xlarge_top-gear-soccer.jpg

As part of the tie-up between Microsoft's Turn 10 Studios and the BBC's penultimate motoring show, Top Gear, Forza Motorsports 4 will include a number of single-player and multiplayer modes ripped right from the TV show. Yes, it will include "Car Soccer."

The Turn 10 / Top Gear tie-up includes, in addition to the aforementioned multiplayer "Car Soccer" mode, it also includes Jeremy Clarkson providing audio commentary in the new car dealership-like "Autovista" feature, and single player career modes ? like "Car Bowling" and a series of "Top Gear"-related Rivals challenges, "Star in a Reasonably-Priced Car" being chief among them.

"Car Bowling" is exactly what it sounds like ? you knock down bowling pins with your car as you drive around the Top Gear test track.

The "Car Soccer" mode is modeled after two segments from the Top Gear TV show (Season eight, episode five and season six, episode one ? for all you Top Gear fanatics out there) where the hosts played in a giant game of soccer between Volkswagen Foxes and Toyota Aygos. The best part? The mode isn't limited to just the Fox or 'yota, you can use any car you want and in any combination of cars that you want.

Top Gear isn't new to tie-ups with video games, starting with a very basic but still drivable version of their test track appearing around 2003 for the PC racing simulator, Grand Prix Legends. There's also a version of the test track for other PC simulators, including rFactor and World Racing 2.

But it wasn't until Grand Turismo 5's release last year that the track appeared in a mainstream console racer. I never got a chance to fully unlock all of the gameplay modes on the track because although I spent four infuriating hours trying to beat the caravan race level ? I could never do it.

While the tie-up was cool because of the novelty, I eventually gave up in frustration of ever having a chance to play what I want and how I want on the Top Gear test track. Turn 10 Studios says they've learned from Sony on that one. Here's to hoping that's true.

Source: Jalopnik

Top Gear and Forza 4: From "Car Soccer" to "Car Bowling"

xlarge_top-gear-soccer.jpg

As part of the tie-up between Microsoft's Turn 10 Studios and the BBC's penultimate motoring show, Top Gear, Forza Motorsports 4 will include a number of single-player and multiplayer modes ripped right from the TV show. Yes, it will include "Car Soccer."

The Turn 10 / Top Gear tie-up includes, in addition to the aforementioned multiplayer "Car Soccer" mode, it also includes Jeremy Clarkson providing audio commentary in the new car dealership-like "Autovista" feature, and single player career modes ? like "Car Bowling" and a series of "Top Gear"-related Rivals challenges, "Star in a Reasonably-Priced Car" being chief among them.

"Car Bowling" is exactly what it sounds like ? you knock down bowling pins with your car as you drive around the Top Gear test track.

The "Car Soccer" mode is modeled after two segments from the Top Gear TV show (Season eight, episode five and season six, episode one ? for all you Top Gear fanatics out there) where the hosts played in a giant game of soccer between Volkswagen Foxes and Toyota Aygos. The best part? The mode isn't limited to just the Fox or 'yota, you can use any car you want and in any combination of cars that you want.

Top Gear isn't new to tie-ups with video games, starting with a very basic but still drivable version of their test track appearing around 2003 for the PC racing simulator, Grand Prix Legends. There's also a version of the test track for other PC simulators, including rFactor and World Racing 2.

But it wasn't until Grand Turismo 5's release last year that the track appeared in a mainstream console racer. I never got a chance to fully unlock all of the gameplay modes on the track because although I spent four infuriating hours trying to beat the caravan race level ? I could never do it.

While the tie-up was cool because of the novelty, I eventually gave up in frustration of ever having a chance to play what I want and how I want on the Top Gear test track. Turn 10 Studios says they've learned from Sony on that one. Here's to hoping that's true.

Source: Jalopnik

It just keep getting better! :cry:

• 2 weeks later...

These guys have such an awesome job. So, so jealous :).

EDIT: See the post beneath. It's a better version than the one I posted.

The game looks like it is shaping up really nicely. I personally never had a problem with Forza 3's visuals (maybe I just have low standards), but it looks like they're kicking things up a notch for those of you who were underwhelmed the last time around.

Watch The Bernese Alps Go From Real Life To Forza Motorsport 4

Turn 10 Studios, the people behind the Forza Motorsport series, have a rough job. In order to make a top-shelf racing game, they had to go to one of the most beautiful places in the world and hike, examine, and photograph the landscape. They have our sympathies.

Check out this behind the scenes look at how Turn 10 is making the Bernese Alps track in the upcoming Forza Motorsport 4 look and feel like the real mountains. These guys are detail oriented. Multiple exposure photos? Check. A new lighting engine highlighting different magnitudes of brightness? You got it. Turn 10 shows off the full journey from snow topped mountain photos to a polished final track. Looks like that mountain top vacation was worth it.

Source: Kotaku

Forza 4, showing you don't need 5+ years to make a great looking racing sim. :whistle:

• 2 weeks later...

Forza Motorsport 4 Shows Off Classic German Track

The people over at Turn 10 Studios give us another sneak peak into how and why Forza Motorsport 4's tracks are chosen and created. In this video they show off the historic Hockenheim track in Germany. The location seems appropriate considering our continuing coverage of Gamescom in Cologne, Germany. Check out the high tech gadgets Turn 10 uses to capture this beautiful track.

Source: Kotaku