Photo

Forza Motorsport 4

official forza motorsport 4 turn 10 studios microsoft studios xbox 360 microsoft

• Please log in to reply
476 replies to this topic

#16 Charisma

Charisma

e-1337-ist

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 26 May 2011 - 19:41

So gorgeous! I loved the other three--cannot wait for this!

#17 Ironman273

Ironman273

Neowinian Fanatic

• Tech Issues Solved: 5
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 830

Posted 26 May 2011 - 19:41

Buying the game twice so I can get the BMW and the Subaru.... :heart:

I'm sure they'll be available as DLC down the line. Just pick the one you prefer and wait for the other one.

#18 BajiRav

BajiRav

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Lumia 920

Posted 26 May 2011 - 20:43

It's times like this I wish I had a working Xbox 360 :(

You can get one for as low as $100 these days - a friend got 4GB 360, extra controller, 3 months of XBL, $50 GC for a grand total of $199 (effective xbox price is ~$100)

There have been so many such offers in recent weeks, I wonder if MS is testing waters for an upcoming price cut (E3 ?). ;)

Edit: stupid me! You are based in UK. :blush:

#19 SteelToast

SteelToast

Neowinian

Posted 26 May 2011 - 20:46

Just wait until you try racing with Head tracking and you'll see what the "better with" really is.

Head Tracking is just another gimmick, IMO it does not add that significant value to the game, since you can effectively still move the 'head' around in FM3 without kinect.

#20 Dan~

Dan~

Neowinian Senior

Posted 26 May 2011 - 20:58

How can Forza 4 be 'better' with the kinect, hoping there not getting rid of the realisticness of forza4 and focusing more on kinect, they should but you never know :(

#21 Ironman273

Ironman273

Neowinian Fanatic

Posted 26 May 2011 - 21:34

How can Forza 4 be 'better' with the kinect, hoping there not getting rid of the realisticness of forza4 and focusing more on kinect, they should but you never know :(

Say you have a full great game. You have a bunch of cars, realistic driving, great online. Wow! It's a tremendous game. Well, worth getting it. But wait! They've added the ability to look at the cars in the showroom and interact with them using Kinect? That's better! The same great game is still there, they just added some features for Kinect users. I don't know why some people are so afraid of this. :blink:

Head Tracking is just another gimmick, IMO it does not add that significant value to the game, since you can effectively still move the 'head' around in FM3 without kinect.

You can move your head but the view doesn't change.

#22 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 4
  • Phone: Noka Lumia 1020

Posted 26 May 2011 - 22:00

Yes you can move the head, but it's awkward and doesn't work very well.

do a youtube search for GTR+TrackIR, and see what head tracking does in a racing simulator. it allows you to properly look "into" corners, allowing you to take corners much better and have much better situational awareness.

So no head tracking isn't just a gimmick. it's a great extension to realistic racing sims. and one that will put you ahead of the curve of those that don't have it, much like driving with a wheel makes you much better than those racing with a pad.

#23 SteelToast

SteelToast

Neowinian

Posted 26 May 2011 - 23:19

Yes you can move the head, but it's awkward and doesn't work very well.

do a youtube search for GTR+TrackIR, and see what head tracking does in a racing simulator. it allows you to properly look "into" corners, allowing you to take corners much better and have much better situational awareness.

So no head tracking isn't just a gimmick. it's a great extension to realistic racing sims. and one that will put you ahead of the curve of those that don't have it, much like driving with a wheel makes you much better than those racing with a pad.

You are definitely correct on wheel vs pad part but somehow I am not just yet buying into the head tracking thing...

#24 Ironman273

Ironman273

Neowinian Fanatic

Posted 27 May 2011 - 01:11

#25 SteelToast

SteelToast

Neowinian

Posted 27 May 2011 - 02:30

Pretty Nifty, but this same thing can be handled by the secondary stick, since Turn 10 can make the secondary one only for this purpose...

#26 Ironman273

Ironman273

Neowinian Fanatic

Posted 27 May 2011 - 11:24

Pretty Nifty, but this same thing can be handled by the secondary stick, since Turn 10 can make the secondary one only for this purpose...

I know they can, but the purpose is to make it seem as close to driving as possible. That's why people spend hundreds of dollars to purchase wheels instead of driving with a gamepad. It's also great if you are driving with a wheel because you don't have to take your hand off of it to look into a corner.

#27 MikeFu84

MikeFu84

m0o!

• Phone: Nexus 5 (KitKat 4.4.4 w/ Franco Kernel)

Posted 27 May 2011 - 11:27

I guess I had better start playing more of Forza 3 before this comes out.

#28 +Matthew S.

Matthew S.

Your worst nightmare

• Tech Issues Solved: 2
  • Phone: iPhone 6 Plus 64GB

Posted 27 May 2011 - 17:06

*preorders the special edition* :woot:

#29 HSoft

HSoft

Neowinian Senior

Posted 27 May 2011 - 17:18

Here's what I don't get about head tracking :-
I'm driving along and come up to a sharp left hander like the Loewes Hairpin at Monaco, I look left to look into the corner but now I am no longer looking at my TV. I can see how it would work if you have the multiple monitor setup that forza allows but on a single screen you'll end up not looking at your TV for most of the time unless the sensor if very sensitive in which case you'll probably end up "head tracking" when you really didn't mean to.
The head tracking in GT5 with the eye cam wasn't upto much due to the above.
Guess I'll just have to wait and see if it's any better in Forza as I have the kinect.

#30 Ironman273

Ironman273

Neowinian Fanatic

Posted 27 May 2011 - 17:58

Here's what I don't get about head tracking :-
I'm driving along and come up to a sharp left hander like the Loewes Hairpin at Monaco, I look left to look into the corner but now I am no longer looking at my TV. I can see how it would work if you have the multiple monitor setup that forza allows but on a single screen you'll end up not looking at your TV for most of the time unless the sensor if very sensitive in which case you'll probably end up "head tracking" when you really didn't mean to.
The head tracking in GT5 with the eye cam wasn't upto much due to the above.
Guess I'll just have to wait and see if it's any better in Forza as I have the kinect.

That is the downside, because unless you have a huge TV or sit really close :shifty: you need to shift your eyes to keep looking at the screen. The advantage is the movement of your head (as your eyes stay on the screen) panning the camera instead of doing it with a thumbstick. I would imagine this is just like the system in GT5, so if you didn't like that you wouldn't like this implementation either.