Rumor: iPhone 3GS Won

With Apple wrapping up its software announcements for the WWDC set to kick off in San Francisco on June 6, a new rumor suggests the two-year old iPhone 3GS won?t get the iOS 5 upgrade when Apple releases the first betas this summer and the final version of the OS likely this Fall. According to Russian analyst and Mobile Review editor Eldar Murtazin, the 2009 iPhone 3GS will stay on iOS 4, thus leaving the iPhone 4 and next-generation device Apple is scheduled to announce later this year as the only iPhone models capable of running iOS 5. Murtazin wrote in a tweet posted earlier today:

Just one comment. Apple iPhone 3Gs wont be upgradable to iOS 5.x. iPhone 4 will....

http://www.macstories.net/news/rumor-iphone-3gs-wont-get-ios-5/

Of course it won't be, were even lucky to get 2 years software updates. This is how apple works forcing you to upgrade.

Hopefully they don't, when 3G updates were cut the 3GS users laughed at us and told us to buy new hardware... OTHER WAY ROUND NOW B***** :shiftyninja:

Of course it won't be, were even lucky to get 2 years software updates. This is how apple the industry works forcing you to upgrade.

Corrected.

And no one is forced to upgrade jack. The 3GS has more features than what was originally on the device with the 2 years of updates provided. The 3GS will continue to work after iOS 5 is released. No one is forcing anyone to upgrade anything.

Of course it won't be, were even lucky to get 2 years software updates. This is how apple works forcing you to upgrade.

2 years is very good for updates. Some Android phones don't even get updates past 6 months.

+1

This is a big fail for Apple considering Microsoft updated all 2 years old WinMo 6.5 to WP7 not forcing users to buy new phones, and the same can be said about Google

that upgraded all 2 years Android phones with OS 1.5, 1.6, 2.0.... to the latest 2.3.3 OS version.

Is anyone really surprised? Their standard policy has been roughly two years worth of updates from the time the model is first released. With the iPhone 5 coming up within a few months, the 3GS will be two models behind. They will likely do the same thing with iPod touch 3rd gen models as well.

Still a hell of a lot better support than most Android phones get. Many are lucky to ever get an official OS update, much less two years worth of them.

The specs of the 3GS are much higher than that of the 3G. And I will be very surprised if it didn't, and it would be a very bad move on Apple's part if they did this. Think about this for a moment...

Every iOS handset so far, that has been discontinued support, has had two major software updates...

iPhone, iPod touch 1G - iOS 2 and 3

iPhone 3G, iPod touch 2G - iOS 3 and iOS 4 (Limited)

iPhone 3GS, iPod touch 3G - iOS 4

It has only had one major update. I imagine iOS 5 will support it and that will be it, nothing more than iOS 5.x

If this happens I'd be tempted to flog my iPhone and get a Galaxy S II or a WP7 handset.

+1

This is a big fail for Apple considering Microsoft updated all 2 years old WinMo 6.5 to WP7 not forcing users to buy new phones, and the same can be said about Google

that upgraded all 2 years Android phones with OS 1.5, 1.6, 2.0.... to the latest 2.3.3 OS version.

:rolleyes: I think you forgot your sarcasm tags there. Gotta be careful with that, some moron searching Google will soon see your post and proclaim it as fact somewhere else.

no people, you are lucky to get any upgrades..

Apple are generous giving any updates at all once a model has been made obsolete

*sigh*

Hopefully they don't, when 3G updates were cut the 3GS users laughed at us and told us to buy new hardware... OTHER WAY ROUND NOW B***** :shiftyninja:

umm.. no, it's the same thing :s

no people, you are lucky to get any upgrades..

Apple are generous giving any updates at all once a model has been made obsolete

Made obsolete? Its still for sale.

You've really bought into the Android model.

• Like 3

You're all useless. The reason you get updates for 3GS is because they still sell 3GS. By the time iOS 5 comes out, iPhone 5 will be out, iPhone 4 will still be sold and 3GS won't be sold therefore no need to update it.

• Like 3

Made obsolete? It's still for sale.

You've really bought into the Android model.

engage brain next time, it won't be still for sale when iOS5 is released will it?

can't believe someone repped you for that post.. :pinch:

You're all useless. The reason you get updates for 3GS is because they still sell 3GS. By the time iOS 5 comes out, iPhone 5 will be out, iPhone 4 will still be sold and 3GS won't be sold therefore no need to update it.

The first iPod touch still got updates after it was discontinued, 2 years afterwards. The reason that they stopped updating the older models wasn't because of this. It was because of poor performance on the hardware. This is apparent and you can see it for yourselves.

The first iPod touch still got updates after it was discontinued, 2 years afterwards. The reason that they stopped updating the older models wasn't because of this. It was because of poor performance on the hardware. This is apparent and you can see it for yourselves.

Exactly. This is all that matters. If the performance is going to suck, like iOS4 on my iPod Touch 2G with no way of downgrading back to 3.3, then by all means don't update the device. If the iPhone 3GS can support iOS5 without a big performance drawback then Apple will release it.

engage brain next time, it won't be still for sale when iOS5 is released will it?

With a fall release of iOS your probably right. Although I still think we might see a cut down version.

can't believe someone repped you for that post.. :pinch:

:laugh: Me neither.

Exactly. This is all that matters. If the performance is going to suck, like iOS4 on my iPod Touch 2G with no way of downgrading back to 3.3, then by all means don't update the device. If the iPhone 3GS can support iOS5 without a big performance drawback then Apple will release it.

And looking at the performance it should be fine. The iPhone 3G was slightly sluggish on 3, then suffered a lot with 4. That's not surprising since its processor was 412 MHz, the 3GS has a 600 MHz and the iPhone 4 has a 800 MHz (All of these are underclocked btw).

Again, I can't really see why performance would be an issue. Also BGM, I repped that post, want to know why? Because its' true. Maybe it will be discontinued at the release of the iPhone 5, probably will be. But bear in mind that the 3G got dropped from support after the iPhone 4 came around.

feel sorry for you.

What are you sorry for? Him getting awesome games/apps and updates? If so, then I'm sorry too that I don't have that.

3GS was only availible on O2 in the UK for a long time, other operators have not had the phone availible for two years so that arguement isn't strictly valid.