Does Apple need to introduce Widgets for iOS?

iOS and Widgets  

151 members have voted

1. 1. Should widgets be added to iOS?

• Yes!!
    • No!!
    • Don't care, next!

Then please explain what you mean by multitasking, as im assuming its multiple things running programs( or apps ) running at the same time.

And i am typing this on my iPad which is acting like i described, and nothing like your describing, itunes ( the music app) runs off the audio system, yes that has full multitasking, same with pandora, and planetary. As they use the audio sytem, the visual abilties are shutdown and restarted when the app reopens, that is not multitasking.

Your desceiption of a "widget" is just a plain jane iOS app that can be done since launch. Im considering a widget as something that you find on the Dashboard of OSX, or sidebar in vista, or Win7 supports. Currently iOS can not do anything like that

Again, you're confusing what the OS "CAN" do with what has been disabled. Again this is OSX, it's just been somewhat stripped down, but behind the scenes it has full multitasking, it has the capability of widgets. yes widgets are disabled in the current version of iOS, and there is no user accessible GUI or Developer accessible API for multitasking on iOS right now. However with iOS 5 they may enable both of them, at least to some degree, I doubt they'll ever go full multitasking like Android, as that is a terrible solution and fairly pointless on a phone/pad anyway. But a restrictive version similar to the one coming in WP7 Mango, yes. Widgets, they can enable this fairly easy by just enabling the dashboard system, though they'll probably add in some restrictions here as well.

I hate widgets. But somehow, I think Apple will make them better.

And I'm no fanboi of this money hungry company.

For me, it's just be something like Lockinfo for "at a glace info" and maybe a better way of accessing settings quickly ala SBSettings.

They NEED to put it in. IF I want to see say the temp or how many emails I have I do not want to have to unlock the phone to do so. They already have a music like one so why not.

it would be a good idea. I'd like to see the temps as well.

Also I like that lockinfo thing its nice.

It was a joke... no need to get your Apple defence gear on so quickly.

I thought he had on Jobs' Reality-Distortion Field/Spin Machine. Isn't that the proper term? :p

I thought he had on Jobs' Reality-Distortion Field/Spin Machine. Isn't that the proper term? :p

Yeah, sorry! :D

Hack Allows Custom Widgets To Be Created For Notification Center In iOS 5

Apple has integrated weather and stocks widget into the Notification Center in iOS 5, which gives users access to real-time weather and stock information from any application with a single swipe.

If you were disappointed that the widgets were limited only to weather and stocks, then we have some good news. Will Homer ? a UK based iOS developer has figured out a way to hack iOS 5 to create widgets for Notification Center.

As an example, Homer has created a test widget, which says ?Hello World?. He explains:

Its pretty easy to understand, you create a class that implements the BBWeeAppController protocol. The only required function you must have is '- (UIView *)view' in which you must return the view that you want to appear. There are also other methods in the protocol for launching URLs when tapped and for rotation detection, view height, etc.

The i is set by settings the 'AppBundleID' key in the Info.plist file to an app id. The icon will then be the icon for that app (e.g. Setting 'AppBundleID' to 'com.apple.mobilesafari' will make your widget have the Safari icon). The name is set in the 'InfoPlist.strings' file.....

http://www.iphonehacks.com/2011/06/hack-allows-custom-widgets-to-be-created-for-notification-center-in-ios-5.html

• Like 2

Apple really doesn't need to add widgets to the so-far-know Home Screen or the (in)famous "boring grid of icons".

Don't get me wrong, I am an iPod Touch user and I really like to use it. It's comfortable to have access to all my apps in instant tapping and instant scrolling (through Home Screen pages).

Anyway, in iOS 5, the Notification Center will include widgets in a really interactive way, so that you can check all your missed calls, messages, e-mail and apps/games reminders and at the same time have an at-a-glance look, almost instantaneously, at widgets. As said above, developers will indeed create widgets for the Notification Center and, who knows, Apple might give us the option to install them or switch that setting. An App Store option to buy/download widgets for the NC would be pretty cool.

:cool:

• 4 weeks later...

But but but.. how many of you were crapping on Android? Let's face it.. even iOS5 is trailing Android. It copies feature by feature trying to match it but it looks just awful and you can clearly see that iOS was NOT properly designed to support all of the Android's features and look good. It's getting overcrowded, looks stupid and doesn't even work as good. LOL, copy notification system and not include clear all functionality. Brilliant.

the iOS interface has gotten old and stale over the past 4 years. It has barely changed since the very first introduction, with perhaps the addition of a background wallpaper and the ability to group icons into folders being the only notable changes I can think of. The same basic concept of an array of 4 x 5 square icons with rounded corners has remained unchanged and I'm bored of it now. Widgets will help to break the monotony of it and express our personality a little more, they will also allow developers to do some fancy creative things.

If they had widgets I might consider getting a new iPod. PerPageHTML doesnt slow down my 2g very much and based on what Apple did with multitasking, only fourth gen and later devices would *officially* :devil: get them. We might get them in iOS 6 but I'm not holding my breath. :no:

I can't wait for Apple's magical, revolutionary and industry first iWidgets, just like those notifications! :rolleyes: