World IPv6 Day coming - Are you IPv6 ready?

52 members have voted

1. 1. IPv6 Readiness at Home?

• Tunnelled
    • 6to4
    • Native ISP /64
    • I love my easy to remember IPv4 addresses!
    • IP what? And What happened to IPv5?

Ok so apparently World IPv6 day is coming. Not that it's a big deal to almost anyone that's currently reading this (no your internetz wont break! :D) but I was just curious as to how many people here at Neowin have some sort of IPv6 connectivity at home. This is kinda a techy site anywas so I assumed lots of people here would have it, cuz if not then IPv6 will take even longer!

Ok so yeah what's IPv6 Day anyways?

Q: What is World IPv6 Day?

This is a trial period where a number of major web sites will provide their content on both IPv4 and IPv6. This is being led by the Internet Society (ISOC). more information is posted on their World IPv6 Day page.

World IPv6 day, scheduled for 8 June 2011, is a global-scale test flight of IPv6 sponsored by the Internet Society. On World IPv6 Day, major web companies and other industry players will come together to enable IPv6 on their main websites for 24 hours. The goal is to motivate organizations across the industry -- Internet service providers, hardware makers, operating system vendors and web companies -- to prepare their services for IPv6 to ensure a successful transition as IPv4 address space runs out.

Why is World IPv6 Day necessary?

The address space used by the current version of the Internet protocol, IPv4, is expected to run out in 2011. Without action, we risk increased costs and limited functionality online for Internet users everywhere. The only long-term solution to this problem is adoption of IPv6, which provides over 4 billion times more space. IPv6 is used extensively in many large networks, but it has never been enabled at a global scale. World IPv6 Day will help industry players work together to support the new protocol on an accelerated timeline. With major web companies committing to enable IPv6 on their main websites, there are strong incentives for other industry players to ensure their systems are prepared for the transition.

On 8 June, 2011, Google, Facebook, Yahoo!, Akamai and Limelight Networks will be amongst some of the major organisations that will offer their content over IPv6 for a 24-hour ?test flight?. The goal of the Test Flight Day is to motivate organizations across the industry ? Internet service providers, hardware makers, operating system vendors and web companies ? to prepare their services for IPv6 to ensure a successful transition as IPv4 addresses run out

Information - Ars Technica

The Internet Society, an organization dedicated to the good of the Internet, is organizing "World IPv6 Day" on June 8 of this year. Web giants Facebook, Yahoo, and Google, with a combined one billion visitors per day, are participating by enabling IPv6 for their main services that day. Content distributors Limelight and Akamai are also joining the party by enabling their customers to participate. But unlike during the IETF IPv6 experiment, IPv4 won't be turned off.

Yahoo, Google, and Facebook have each been working on IPv6 for some time, but have been hesitant to simply flip the IPv6 switch and add an IPv6 address to their DNS records so everyone can reach them over IPv6. They fear becoming unreachable to users with broken IPv6 connectivity. Google did measurements in this area in 2008, which showed that at that time, 0.09 percent of their users would have to suffer delays as their computers try to connect over IPv6, and eventually fail and retry over IPv4.

IPv6 Testing - http://www.test-ipv6.com/ or http://www.ipv6-test.com or simply http://ipv6.google.com - If you can visit that Google page you have IPv6 running in one form or another.

When will Neowin be on IPv6? Only hosting companies know :D

NOTE - Once again - the internet will still work just fine for years to come so no need to panic! I was just curious as to the state of connectivity for Neowin users.

Your readiness scores

10/10 for your IPv4 stability and readiness, when publishers offer both IPv4 and IPv6

0/10 for your IPv6 stability and readiness, when publishers are forced to go IPv6 only

So my ISP isn't ready, is this common or does it work for everyone else?

Neither is my ISP. It will probably be another year before the majority of them will be IPv6 ready.

7/10

for your IPv4 stability and readiness, when publishers offer both IPv4 and IPv6

7/10

for your IPv6 stability and readiness, when publishers are forced to go IPv6 only

10/10 for your IPv4 stability and readiness, when publishers offer both IPv4 and IPv6

0/10 for your IPv6 stability and readiness, when publishers are forced to go IPv6 only

comcast

We don't need this now, with Iran quitting the internetz we should get a lot of IP's back :D lol

But seriously, My router I'm pretty sure isn't ready for it. My internal network, although it doesn't need to be ipv6 ready, is probably about half ready.

It will still be a few years yet I reckon as others have said

as usual!

a massive fail for the ISP when started operation last year for god sake :s

10/10 for your IPv6 stability and readiness, when publishers are forced to go IPv6 only

Although my IPv6 is actually tunneled over IPv4 (Your IPv6 service appears to be: he.net or tunnelbroker.net)

teledo tunnel.....

Yeah Im ready - It's not like there is any rush, its not going to be mainstream for years and years and years yet. But it is fun to play with ;) It takes all of about 10 minutes to setup a tunnel from hurricane electric. Now if your router run dd-wrt your good, or if if your router will forward protocol 41 you could use any w7 box as your endpoint for your network. Or if you use a linux distro you should be able to use it as your tunnel endpoint, pfsense does support ipv6 very well with development code.

What I don't like about tunnel endpoint into your network through your router/firewall is now you directly connected to public net on ipv6 with only software firewalls to protect your boxes.. Do they fully understand ipv6? I would not suggest anyone actually play with ipv6 unless they aware of how to secure themselves from public internet because your not behind a nat with ipv6.

I would suggest you put the tunnel endpoint at your router, and your router should be fully ipv6 aware firewall.. I am currently running ipv6 code of pfsense and works great. If anyone is interested in playing with IPv6 - PM happy to help. I suggest you do the certification test at hurricane electric as well.. You can get your sage level in a couple of hours on a rainy sunday afternoon ;) And you can get a FREE t-shirt ;)

http://ipv6.he.net/certification/

post-14624-0-01704200-1306707667.jpg

I would suggest you put the tunnel endpoint at your router, and your router should be fully ipv6 aware firewall.. I am currently running ipv6 code of pfsense and works great. If anyone is interested in playing with IPv6 - PM happy to help. I suggest you do the certification test at hurricane electric as well.. You can get your sage level in a couple of hours on a rainy sunday afternoon ;) And you can get a FREE t-shirt ;)

Just got to sage in like 5 min... however im one of testers of native IPv6 on my ISP and have everything setup for months. BTW he.net resolver is already resolving facebook ipv6 addresses for couple of weeks now :) so if you are runing somekind of dns server (bind) setup your forward zone for facebook.com to he.net resolver (ordns.he.net) and you get facebook over ipv6... you can also set it for google since they are in google ipv6 program as well.

Yep unfortunately my router doesn't natively support IPv6 (because Linksys sucks) so I am using a 6RD network appliance as a IPv6 DHCP server and tunnel provider since my ISP still won't accept the fact that IPv6 is coming.

Also I am running NIS 2012 which has a built in IPv6/v4 firewall to keep me going until I can get a native router with a firewall that supports IPv6.

10/10

10/10

Both tests... using OpenDNS's IPv6 test DNS servers.

Just got to sage in like 5 min..

Yeah I think I see you on the list Solor on latest 10 certs ;) Looks like you requested your t-shirt already as well ;) Going to prob wait awhile, I got sage back in jan and still waiting ;) But last email I got was my name is on the next shipment.. So should show up any day I hope..

Yeah if you had everything up and running already, and know your ipv6 then test should only take a few minutes! I had some trouble with getting email server to run on windows with ipv6 since I original did it with a tunnel to a w7 box.. And to be honest I was not up to speed and had to lookup up some of the answers to the tests.. But it was fun and learned a lot.

If you in the CA area, HE is running a free party for people that get sage before Jun 8, I would love to go - but kind of far for me here in IL ;)

http://www.tunnelbroker.net/forums/index.php?topic=1777.0

Stuck with Teredo and 6to4 with the help of the OS and router because I'm sure my ****ty ISP doesn't know what IPv6 is.

Depending on what DNS server I use, I'm either 9/10 or 10/10 for IPv6 connectivity.

I really don't like the idea of just putting it off, we're running out of addresses (APNIC is in it's final stages of allocation), and there is a finite amount that can be used. So I think World IPv6 day is a great idea, get IT guys thinking about implementing it on their network, make the IT press, etc.