I got hacked on iTunes

Last night, I was sitting around with friends enjoying the evening and happened to check my e-mail. To my surprise, I had received two e-mails from PayPal with the subjects "Receipt for Your Payment to iTunes Store." That's funny -- I hadn't bought anything on iTunes in over a week, and the last charge had already hit my account days ago.

Imagine my horror when I logged into the Account Management section and saw this: repeated charges totaling $95.30, split in two equal parts. Worse yet, it was for a game I had never downloaded, Sega's "Kingdom Conquest." Repeatedly, somebody had purchased within the app 1,200 CP (which I'm guessing is in-game credits) at $8.99 a piece.....

A Widespread Problem?

Kingdom Conquest's page on the iTunes store includes dozens of similar reports. From what I can tell, a large number of reports seem to be centered around the holiday weekend, although I was able to locate complaints as far back as May 17. My case seems especially severe -- the average amount bilked was around $43 or so, but the charges vary quite widely.

Worse yet, it appears that these fraudulent charges are occurring across a wide range of iTunes users -- having an iPhone was not important. This is especially concerning to everyone because it seems to indicate this may be a wider hack of iTunes itself -- or even PayPal -- because somehow whomever is doing this has access to account information....

Sega is apparently aware of it, according to this post in the official Sony Forum. "We are currently investigating this claim as well as some others," Administrator FrankFrank wrote in response to a complainant. "Allow me to state very clearly that SEGA and Kingdom Conquest are not acting maliciously in any way. It is in no way possible for this game to charge an iTunes account without someone installing the app, logging into that iTunes account with valid credentials and then choosing to make a purchase."...

http://www.betanews.com/article/I-got-hacked-on-iTunes/1306964962

A similar thing happened to me a few months ago. I woke up and had about 100 emails in my inbox. My itunes account had been used to purchase over 2500 in music and tv.

I couldnt get into the account, and called apple who told me that all itunes support needed to go through email. I ended up emailing sjobs@apple.com which helped a lot.

The weird thing is I was so busy and in the process of a move I hadnt even turned on my computer or fired up itunes except from my iphone. I had come across a lot of similiar reports as well.

In the end I got my money back and apple sent me a few hundred extra bucks for my trouble.

I learned the hard way,never leave your pay pal account open.I was buying a lap-top and received an e-mail stating I bought $299.00 on a site that I did not buy from.So i contested the charge and got my money back after weeks,but it caused my bank account to go negative,so I incurred bank charges.So I closed my pay pal and will never use it again.Because they have no way of stopping this from happening again.Never ever post any vital info on line,it will get hacked,(birthday,SS number,nothing).

You need to be more careful where you type your password or do a virus scan etc :)

Sometimes however secure you are crap like this still happens.. Computers have really been getting on my nerves lately. Main PC having GFX issues, server getting Malware then not booting after removal... arghhh. I'm rethinking my career path!

Sometimes however secure you are crap like this still happens.. Computers have really been getting on my nerves lately. Main PC having GFX issues, server getting Malware then not booting after removal... arghhh. I'm rethinking my career path!

Well unless your information and encrypted details were stolen from the Apple servers, you must have made a mistake somewhere.

Well unless your information and encrypted details were stolen from the Apple servers, you must have made a mistake somewhere.

No I didn't mean I was hacked via iTunes. I just meant I've had issues with my PC and my server recently no relation to this threads topic really. I've learnt that working with computers is not as fun as it is a hobby.. I much prefer it as a hobby. It kinda takes the fun out of in when I'm at work.

what is interesting about this is that the GAME is produced by SEGA which is a segment of SONY who's Playstation network got hacked which included users creditcard details...however SONY claims it was encrypted....but then last week SONY Pictures was hacked and the user information was stored in text...so no one knows for sure about their security.

This could be related to the SONY PSN hack?? who knows....

And this is also interesting if Apple's Itunes Store has been hacked also....but Apple hasn't said anything yet....???