Alternative OS to TomTom's default?

Hey

Im wondering if its possible to replace the TomTom's OS with a alternative one with some more programs, different GPS sources/maps, etc...

Its a TomTom XL IQ Routes

Those run a custom Linux distro so you may be able to enhance it by finding other linux apps for it.

However, the kernel, packages, etc might be different or other things put in place to prevent that.... however, it is worth a shot.

Also I will note that you'd have to get the garmin map app to be able to use maps from navteq and that is not legal to do that. tom-tom uses teleatlas data, in which, they now own that company, so the map intergration is even tighter.

most GPS units are rockin a custom build of WindowsCE which you can run miopocket on it and have access to the CE apps, thus, in turn, being able to run other nav apps on those.

there may be an alternative made for linux as well.

The following brands and OSes are listed below

Linux:

Gamrin

Tom Tom

WindowsCE:

magellan

mio

navigon

Sanyo

Pioneer

Alpine

Those run a custom Linux distro so you may be able to enhance it....

most GPS units are rockin a custom build of WindowsCE which you can run miopocket on it and have access to the CE apps, thus, in turn, being able to run other nav apps on those.

there may be an alternative made for linux as well.

The following brands and OSes are listed below

Linux:

Gamrin

Tom Tom

WindowsCE:

magellan

mio

navigon

Sanyo

Pioneer

Alpine

Not sure if you understood me right :)

Im not looking for alternatives to TomToms, just looking for alternative software.

Example: If my PC had Red Hat and Id ask for a alternative to Red Hat, I problably get Ubuntu as a answer :)

I understood, this was just to let you know that you cannot use, for example, magellan gps software on the tom-tom since it's linux powered and magellan's software is made for windows ce.

I understood, this was just to let you know that you cannot use, for example, magellan gps software on the tom-tom since it's linux powered and magellan's software is made for windows ce.

I cant use Garmin's software on TomToms either even though according to you there are both Linux; Im still confused on what your post tried to say :(

I was saying that becuase of mapping sources being different. You can try it though.

I recall there were alternates, I once had a media player OS running on a TomTom but this was years ago.

Yeah :) Ive found loose information but nothing that really "brings it together"

Do you know any site/forum that has information on modding TomToms? Google shows nothing "dedicated"

• 1 year later...