[Official] Apple WWDC 2011 Keynote

Apple WWDC 2011 Keynote

wwdc_2011_banner-500x258.jpg

Date and Time:

Monday, June 6

10:00 PST - 13:00 EST - 18:00 BST - 19:00 CEST (for other time zones see here)

Live blogs:

Live stream:

No announcement yet. I will post a link if there is one.

What can we expect to see?

Live discussion of the event:

irc.neowin.net, #apple (channel to be opened in time for the keynote)

Confirmed thus far: News about iOS 5, Mac OS X 10.7 'Lion', iCloud.

What else could be expected: Lion release date (as early as June?), beta release of the next version of Safari, maybe news about the next iteration of the iPhone or - as one more thing - a refresh of the Macbook Air.

Do you expect to see other new or updated products? Are you excited for the Stevenote yet? Discuss below.

I'm really looking forward to the iOS 5 announcements. From all reports (granted they are rumors) it sounds like they are finally giving notifications a revamp. They fix that and I'll be happy for another couple years.

As for the one more thing - I seriously doubt it would be a Mac hardware refresh - the MacBook Pro and iMac were both quietly announced with press releases and I see no reason why a refresh of the Air and MacBook wouldn't be the same. On the other hand, given that the audience for this show is developers, a Mac Pro refresh could be a possibility, as could some partner announcements regarding Thunderbolt tech (which I'm really looking forward to).

I'd honestly put my money on a "one more thing" related to iCloud - as in it's available starting now and potentially (based on recent rumors) only $25/year.

[...]

I'd honestly put my money on a "one more thing" related to iCloud - as in it's available starting now and potentially (based on recent rumors) only $25/year.

Too much leakage already... They can't surprise anyone with it.

Also they announced it themselves quietly, so yeah...

The "one more thing" could be... idk! A surprise or so...

I also wouldn't mind some Mac Pro refresh, whether this will take place on WWDC, well I don't know, but it would make sense, as there also have been some - granted - rumors...

iOS 5 I'm reaaally looking forward to, I guess it's gonna be nice.

The only thing that's a bit weird, is that they add tight Twitter integration, yet, I wish they added more social networks and maybe even make it open to plug-in to the Contacts app and stuff... now that'd be sweet!

I really hope they jazz up way more stuff, also the core apps...

They haven't seen love in ages.

Yes, I'm looking at you, Contacts, Photos, Youtube, Maps, Mail, Calendar, ...

I might publish my wish list tomorrow on my blog and when iOS 5 gets released I'll tick off some of the stuff, but I guess a sadly huge amount stays in there with no tick.

That's mainly due to my wish list being HUGE.

Glassed Silver:mac

Yeah, iCloud is certainly not the one more thing. Apple Keynotes usually treat about 3 subjects + one more thing.

On the labels, we have Lion, iOS5 and iCloud, which are our 3 subjects. One more thing needs to be something else.

I was really looking forward to iOS5, until this rumor that said it wouldn?t support the iPhone 3GS. I hope it?s not true, they need to support these devices 3 years. I know not a lot of cellphones have updates for even 2 years, but come on, it should at least last for the time of the contracts of the first people who buy it, which is 3 years.

So what I?m looking for really is Lion only. I don?t really care a lot about iCloud, especially if they charge for it. I don?t think I would even pay $25, unless it?s a reaaaaaaally good service which allows me to share big files, have a lot of personal storage and has all of the MobileMe features. MobileMe, even if it was by far the best email service out there, was a joke of a theft at $100.

I?d love if the one more thing were iWork ?11. This set of applications is due for a major update since the first day it was out. Now it?s only getting even more ridiculous.

I'm looking forward to Lion and iOS 5 the most. iCloud is something that has yet to take off.

Really looking forward to that.

And smart move by Apple to pre-announce the announcements. In the past, people were often ****ed that the rumors didn't come true and although some announcements were great, they all wrote on how the rumored thing was not released.

This time, everyone was able to get it out of their system early and when no iPhone is announced, noone will be ****ed, because they knew it before and everyone can write/talk about Lion/iOS/iCloud.

Maybe, one more thing could be something like "Oh yeah and you all are invited for our special announcement later this year. Get ready to hear something about iPhone 4S/5". :D But I don't care anyways, as long as there's a new iPhone next year, when my contract runs out.

If it follows the iMac refresh there will be a slight price reduction also (in the UK at least the lowest end iMac went from ?1020 to ?999)

I'm just hoping to hear Steve say the words "Lion is available from today" :woot:

(Unlikely, but hey, we can hope!) :p

Lion need more serious refresh than iOS..windows 7 and 8 is a huge threat to core of Apple Mac business..as for iOS 5 just need to satisfy what most user been complaining for years...the surprise should be on lion software..

I'm just hoping to hear Steve say the words "Lion is available from today" :woot:

(Unlikely, but hey, we can hope!) :p

Not unlikely, and if true and cheap, it's an INSTANT BUY. (NOT from the AppStore! :p I like my boxes...)

Might even go to Hamburg to the Apple Store to buy it there when I got time again. atm it's all too busy for me.

Glassed Silver:mac

As for the one more thing - I seriously doubt it would be a Mac hardware refresh - the MacBook Pro and iMac were both quietly announced with press releases and I see no reason why a refresh of the Air and MacBook wouldn't be the same.

There's a rumor about an ARM based MB Air, this would be a bigger deal.

I was really looking forward to iOS5, until this rumor that said it wouldn?t support the iPhone 3GS. I hope it?s not true, they need to support these devices 3 years. I know not a lot of cellphones have updates for even 2 years, but come on, it should at least last for the time of the contracts of the first people who buy it, which is 3 years.

AT&T contracts are only 2 years. ;)

Just pointing out that you really can't go by carrier contracts. More likely, they're going by AppleCare extended warranty, which lasts 2 years on the iPhone.

Lion need more serious refresh than iOS..windows 7 and 8 is a huge threat to core of Apple Mac business..as for iOS 5 just need to satisfy what most user been complaining for years...the surprise should be on lion software..

As far as I know Apple hasn't seen a decline in market share since the release of Windows 7. By the time Windows 8 has become mainstream the newt version of Mac OS X will probably be well underway as well and so far Windows-based tablets have yet to make an impact at all. I agree though that at this point Mac OS X Lion offers very little spectacular over Mac OS X Snow Leopard. It's basically the same thing with a revamped interface. Currently I really can't think of a single reason why I should recommend people to upgrade. :/

Currently I really can't think of a single reason why I should recommend people to upgrade. :/

Why? Is it in any way unstable or not as good as SL? I know you have used it a lot and because I am not, I am not in the position to judge here wheather it's worth upgrading or not but firstly, it's a new version of an OS, which is usually not a bad thing. Secondly, there are a few new features that may not be incredibly useful for everyone but Versions, for example, is pretty great from what I've heard. Launchpad I like aswell, the concept that is, and I see me using this a lot, but that depends on your way of using Mac OS X in general. And Mission Control... I really like it, from all I've seen, heard and read, it may get the "simple" out of Expos? but I really love the concept so far. Will see how it turns out. For me, AirDrop also is a great feature and the new looks... I love it.

Yeah, sounds fanboyish but I don't see a real reason NOT to upgrade, when it doesn't do anything worse than SL plus has a few features that I, personally, find useful (or at least expect them to be). So the only thing I can think of that might stop one from upgrading is the price point. The one we don't know yet but which for sure won't be 120? again so... why?

I know not a lot of cellphones have updates for even 2 years, but come on, it should at least last for the time of the contracts of the first people who buy it, which is 3 years.

Canada seems to be about the only country with these crazy 3 year contracts. Apple typically caters to the demands of their home market first (the US), where contracts are generally 2 years. That is probably the reasoning behind their typical 2 years of updates for iPhone models.

Canada seems to be about the only country with these crazy 3 year contracts.

WHAT!? I thought the entire world was like that. :cry:

You know what that means? If you guys in the USA pay an iPhone $299 or $199 and pay a monthly fee of $60 + taxes, the carriers are able to pay the remaining fee you haven?t paid for your iPhone in under 2 years, then you can go on with a custom contract that?s not too expensive. On the other hand, we?re paying the big price for 12 additional months, which means they?re putting this extra money right into their pockets. And it?s not like we had good contract prices and features either?

It?s sad because there?s this huge, global hate towards cellphone carriers in Canada, yet we all have one in our pockets. They?re grabbing us by the testicles.

The government is the only entity that can do something about it, but they will usually add a law every 3 years or so regarding that. And now we?re stuck with Mister Stephen "Economy" Harper for another 4 years :x He clearly wouldn?t accept if the cellphone carriers had less revenue.