[Official] Apple WWDC 2011 Keynote

Why?

Truly major features on the scale of Expos?, Time Machine, Front Row, Spaces, Spotlight, Dashboard, 64-bit, Grand Central, Dictionary etc. have yet to make an appearance with the exception of Versions and Resume. What we have now is Mac OS X Snow Leopard in a fresh new Aqua wrapper, under the hood not much has changed. Functionality-wise Launchpad doesn't bring anything new to the table we couldn't have done before with Stacks or even Spotlight. While Mission Control has made it easier to manage Spaces it makes application switching harder. Full screen apps pretty much pointless on many Macs. No new applications have been added.

Overall Mac OS X Lion is iPhoto '11 all over again: New appearance fooling customers into thinking a lot work as been done, once you look past that you'll come to the conclusion very little has been added when it comes to actual features. So I'm really hoping Apple will introduce another set of major features at WWDC.

At ?29 I'd say go for it, at ?79 I'd say the new Aqua, Versions, AirDrop and Resume aren't really worth it.

WHAT!? I thought the entire world was like that. :cry:

In the Netherlands we don't have a single carrier that offers 3-year contracts either. It's either one or two.

For the record, I've never had a contract with more than a 12 month tie in, and I sitll get unlimited x-net mins and texts :p

For the record, I've never had a contract with more than a 12 month tie in, and I sitll get unlimited x-net mins and texts :p

Typically a one-year contract just means you'll end up paying more for your phone upfront rather than over a two-year period.

Wasn?t there a date for this already?

It?ll be available this month on the Mac App Store at $299. We don?t know a specific date, but you may be on the right track about it.

Source : http://www.gadgetoz.com/post/apple-final-cut-pro-x-specs-release-date-and-price/

Yeah, all they said was June. I think tomorrow would be a perfect time to release it. I don't think they would announce it though...it'll just appear on the app store and on relevant pages.

Typically a one-year contract just means you'll end up paying more for your phone upfront rather than over a two-year period.

Well I've never paid for a phone either, gotta love having a really old contract :p

Well I've never paid for a phone either, gotta love having a really old contract :p

That's why I said "typically". I'm with the same carrier for 5 years now which means I can get basically every high-end phone for "free" as well with a one-year contract.

Overall Mac OS X Lion is iPhoto '11 all over again: New appearance fooling customers into thinking a lot work as been done, once you look past that you'll come to the conclusion very little has been added when it comes to actual features. So I'm really hoping Apple will introduce another set of major features at WWDC.

True. I also get the feeling that it is Snow Leopard, refined even more. But didn?t they hire someone to make a "revolutionary new feature" in their "next operating system"? Is it something that we have seen already, like Versions for example which I would definitely call a revolutionary new feature, or it?s something totally new? One can hope for something truly big.

I?m scared that the only big features that will be introduced tomorrow will be related to iCloud and Time Capsule. I?d like if they kept these as separated as possible from their announcement about Lion.

Now, something you haven?t mentioned though is better support for OpenGL, which can be a big or a small feature depending on how it goes in the next few months. A few game developers could be interested to go all-out on the Mac now, or they could decide it?s still not worth it as a gaming platform.

Truly major features on the scale of Expos?, Time Machine, Front Row, Spaces, Spotlight, Dashboard, 64-bit, Grand Central, Dictionary etc. have yet to make an appearance with the exception of Versions and Resume. What we have now is Mac OS X Snow Leopard in a fresh new Aqua wrapper, under the hood not much has changed. Functionality-wise Launchpad doesn't bring anything new to the table we couldn't have done before with Stacks or even Spotlight. While Mission Control has made it easier to manage Spaces it makes application switching harder. Full screen apps pretty much pointless on many Macs. No new applications have been added.

thanks, I see, valid points you're making. But I find Resume to be pretty awesome, for example. It looks like a small feature but I think it's pretty big.

Regarding full screen apps, you're right. I prefare smaller screen laptops and on my MBP 13", I'm really looking forward to them but on a 27" iMac.. not so much.

However, I still think Lion will make me happy. After all there is not really much I missed... nothing, in fact. So a few smaller new features are pretty great for me, personally, since I still think those are quite nice. But as I said, I am in no position to judge here - haven't tried it myself yet, so I stand corrected after a few days of use.

If there is a Safari 6 I hope they retry the "tabs on top" design they had back during the Safari 4 beta. I really liked that.

At ?29 I'd say go for it, at ?79 I'd say the new Aqua, Versions, AirDrop and Resume aren't really worth it.

I'd say that Lion is a mixture of developer and user centric but more biased towards the developer side - Apple is pushing the idea of giving features to developers, developers making great applications then the applications propelling the hardware sales forward. It is the AppStore that is the engine of growth which pushes hardware sales forward - people purchasing i-devices and Mac's because there are the applications they like available at their finger tips requiring a single click of the mouse.

Lion, from my experience, is a combination where a lot of small changes have been made rather than massive feature additions; Finder has finally got the option to merge folders for example, the SMB stack has been re-written from the ground up for SMB2 compliance, OpenGL 3.2 isn't something an end user will directly interact with but they'll experience the benefits through better games and applications, Safari 5.1 has now got process isolation where the various parts of the Safari engine has been broken off and isolated for greater security and stability, full disk encryption, optimisations for the new AVX instructions which should translate into faster encryption/decryption for those who opt for full disk encryption etc.

Where I am the max is 2 years; as you said it is a decision on how much of a subsidy you want on your hand set. When I purchased my WP7 I decided to purchase it outright rather than being hooked into a contract - it also allows me to use it on the three other networks if my current one starts to get greedy.

Yeah, all they said was June. I think tomorrow would be a perfect time to release it. I don't think they would announce it though...it'll just appear on the app store and on relevant pages.

*shrugs* iWork and iLife might be announced as show pieces that exploit features found only in Lion - maybe a Mac Pro refresh? there are so may variables the 'one last thing' could be multiple things or could even be a Thunderbolt to USB3 dongle lol oh well, we'll just have to wait till WWDC 2011 kicks off and see what happens. I feel like a school girl at an Aerosmith concert :p

How long is the flight to Los Angles from where you are?

Uh... I'm in San Francisco and am over for WWDC from Sweden so... I don't know?

Uh... I'm in San Francisco and am over for WWDC from Sweden so... I don't know?

Sorry I thought the event was in Los Angles for some reason lol

How long is the flight to Los Angles from where you are?

It's, at the most, a 2 hour flight from L.A. to San Francisco, which is where WWDC is being held.

I think you're thinking of E3, which is in L.A.

Sorry I thought the event was in Los Angles for some reason lol

Oh! Right, I see. From Stockholm I take a two hour flight to Amsterdam then a 10 or 11 hour flight to San Francisco.

Why doesn't Apple live stream these?

i have also wonder why apple doesnt either, but engadget will be doing a live stream of the event :p

i have also wonder why apple doesnt either, but engadget will be doing a live stream of the event :p

*shrugs* all I can think of is maybe if something goes wrong they're able to edit it out - I know when Steve was having phone issues on stage there were parts of the event that didn't end up on the webcast.

Probably because people pay a lot of money to be there and get the information "first". The event is posted later for everyone

Why doesn't Apple live stream these?

They don't? Well, they did with the last few keynotes, they were all available for livestream. Maybe at WWDC it's different, though.

They don't? Well, they did with the last few keynotes, they were all available for livestream. Maybe at WWDC it's different, though.

most likely unofficial live streams