E3 2011: Nintendo Press Conference

I dont see why people would think the controller would hurt their hand. Buttons seem to be placed in the same reach distance of a normal controller. I wonder if it the same people who said they would get tired swinging the Wii remote around when the Wii was announced. If people got tired/fatigued/arms hurt from a Wii remote then you are in terrible shape or really old.

The features of the Wii U controller dwarf the remote play the PSP offered.

I didn't say that it didn't? I was getting at the spit shine thing - they took a good idea and improved upon it

Sounds like you are kind of thinking all the same kind of lines that I am in that this is just a stepping stone until MS/Sony release their next console. In my opinion, the Wii U isn't destined as a next generation console as some in here kept mentioning.

Kind of. I don't think this is a stepping stone, I think it's more like Nintendo had a strategy of realizing the Wii wasn't going to last as long as the other two consoles, so they knew they'd have to release another console quicker than Microsoft and Sony. I'm sure Nintendo will launch a new console roughly around the time Microsoft and Sony do, but I think they'll stick with this strategy of releasing inferior hardware with something innovative in order to make a profit.

Nintendo doesn't have other areas of business to rely on like Sony and Microsoft do, so they're hell-bent on being profitable in the one market they compete in.

You're significantly over simplifying things on purpose to make them appear more similar than they really are. It's like saying a wheel barrow is the same thing as a Ferrari because they both have tires.

The features of the Wii U controller dwarf the remote play the PSP offered. Furthermore, the PSP wasn't even the first with that idea of remote connections like this.

The Wii U may have more features, but they are still fundamentally the same idea. Console pushes a streaming video to the controller that has its own screen. Maybe the Wii U has more refined, but it seems like very similar ideas to me.

It's no so much wheel barrow v. Ferrari as much as Camry v. Ferrari.

They are both fundamentally the same idea; it just so happens the Ferrari is more feature packed, powerful and refined.

~snip

Sold. Looks like a true Kirby game for home consoles and with Co-Op too.

The Wii U may have more features, but they are still fundamentally the same idea. Console pushes a streaming video to the controller that has its own screen. Maybe the Wii U has more refined, but it seems like very similar ideas to me.

It's no so much wheel barrow v. Ferrari as much as Camry v. Ferrari.

They are both fundamentally the same idea; it just so happens the Ferrari is more feature packed, powerful and refined.

The only major difference is that with Remote Play, you need to go out and buy a PSP. With WiiU, you get the controller free. :p

UGH!! Same old Crap Nintendo! I guess no good games for the Wii is coming out... :\ Same Old Mario games too i see..and there bringing the stupid Mii's back???

Time to something revolutionary... If they design a Mario game like this in the future... Im sold!

The_Mario_bros__by_LabrenzInk.jpg

UGH!! Same old Crap Nintendo! I guess no good games for the Wii is coming out... :\ Same Old Mario games too i see..and there bringing the stupid Mii's back???

Time to something revolutionary... If they design a Mario game like this in the future... Im sold!

And they'd lose the majority of their fans :/ it's kinda cool as a picture but a game based on that would suck

http://uk.kotaku.com/5809572/seven-different-ways-to-play-the-wii-u/gallery/

Still no mention of 2 Wiipads at one time... worrying!

Well I'm not sure game developers really feel like pushing out two additional possibly 720p streams along side a possibly 1080p TV feed. Sucks up too much power :p And I also think they assume very few people would buy an additional controller given that they'll probably cost about ?79 or something stupid.

Looks awesome, just as the wii did (to me) back when it was first announced. Im not getting suckered into buying another console that gets very little playtime from me. If it wasnt for homebrew on my wii it would have been sold ages ago.

I am underwhelmed.

The demos of the Wiipad looked more annoying and unwieldy than fun. Also, I really don't want to have part of my video feed on a small screen. I hated it with Four Swords Adventures. It's an interruption. Using it as a magnifying glass? Terrible idea. I have to hold this thing and try to line it up to magnify something? Why not have a zoom function on the screen?

The real key is implementation. This has A LOT of potential. The problem is that Nintendo usually only brings it when they're the underdog. The Wii pumped out some great titles but damn if everyone isn't in agreement that as a console it's largely mediocre because of how well it did.