E3 2011: Nintendo Press Conference

Well 2012 could be before April and that would be before the next E3 :/

Could be, I dono, it just seemed a bit..well lame...

No Kirby makes me a sad panda.

Kirby Mass Attack logo was shown on a screen along with a few other games. Maybe we'll get a preview at some point.

They *really* should have pushed this as a console revision. It has more or less the same name, looks more or less the same, and now the controller is the size of an entry level tablet. Here we go again with a Smash Bros. launch game too. I am one of their biggest supporters but Nintendo I am disappoint.

They *really* should have pushed this as a console revision. It has more or less the same name, looks more or less the same, and now the controller is the size of an entry level tablet. Here we go again with a Smash Bros. launch game too. I am one of their biggest supporters but Nintendo I am disappoint.

I'm disappointed too, but since the N64 days I've bought every Nintendo console just for Smash, lol. I love Smash Bros that much. And I was wanting to sell my 3DS until today. Smash 3DS! And Wiiu! Probably gonna be worse than Brawl since Sakurai isn't motivated to actually do it, but I'm hoping for the best...

It's more like "there's no way in hell any gamer with any sense would play an fps with the controller of any console".

Just keep telling yourself that. I'm sure everything will be fine and this fad of playing FPS with controllers will pass. :laugh:

I mean, it's not like FPSs are even doing that well on home consoles, right?

Kirby Mass Attack logo was shown on a screen along with a few other games. Maybe we'll get a preview at some point.

I missed the stream so I didn't see that. As that looks to be a Wii game that may be something I buy.

Reggie just told G4 that the Wii U does 1080p.

So there's some definitive info :p

The Darksiders guys have said it is more powerful hardware than the PS3/360.

Though I have a feeling it is going to be more PS2 vs Xbox in terms of quality and not an actual leap of any sort.

The funny thing is I guess that Sony has already shown remote play as it were with the PSP and PS3, and I guess now the Vita is touch screen that everything Nintendo has shown can be done on those two together as well.

http://www.officialnintendomagazine.co.uk/27210/nintendo-wii-u-everything-you-need-to-know/

Video Output: Supports 1080p, 1080i, 720p, 480p and 480i. Compatible cables include HDMI, component, S-video and composite.

So far all the press stuff says "by creating a second window into the video game world. " - does this mean it can only stream to a single Wii U controller at once?

That controller looks ridiculous :/

Doesn't seem like Nintendo are taking this seriously enough, online plans? The next PS/Xbox are going to leave this thing in the ground.

I don't agree. All this did was show us that this console generation is going to go on as long as Microsoft and Sony predicted and wanted -- we've still probably got a good three years left, I would imagine, if not more. Nintendo hasn't forced either company's hand with this console -- it just evens the playing field. When Microsoft released Kinect and Sony released Move, Nintendo had to do something. Its competitive advantage of an innovative control scheme was gone.

First, let me precede my forthcoming comments by saying I was one of the few people who thought both the Wii and Kinect would be a success. I'm pretty sure almost everyone on Neowin was saying they'd both be a massive failure, because everyone here only thinks about the hardcore gamer, not the mainstream market. I've had some time to watch the videos of it and catch up on what I missed, but after watching, I honestly have no clue about the Wii U. This seriously could be a gigantic success or a colossal failure for Nintendo -- I don't see much room for in between. The graphics are only par for this generation, and the controller honestly doesn't set it apart as much as I'm sure Nintendo would like to think it does.

The best thing for Nintendo is that they're finally getting some third-party support, which they're in dire need of. But the online information is still missing, and so is a lot of the entertainment information. Reggie said they plan on making it more entertainment-oriented in an interview on G4, but I have serious reservations about that. Consoles are entertainment devices now, not just gaming devices. If this console winds up with the same problems as the Wii, Nintendo is going to be in trouble in terms of the console race.

My prediction: this will sell like hotcakes for a year, maybe two (far less than the Wii's dominance). Nintendo is no longer is the only company with an innovative control scheme for their console, because the Kinect's right there, and to a lesser extent the Move (no disrespect to Sony fans, the PS3 is a great console, but the Move is just a misfire -- it doesn't set itself apart from the Wiimote, even if it is more accurate, and it's basically been a tack-on feature in almost all the games released). The good news for Nintendo is I'm pretty sure this won't cost them much to manufacture, so they should be making money from day one on console sales.

Nintendo has a chance, but it's a very small window of opportunity for them. I'm well aware that its lack of third-party support hasn't hurt them so much for the Wii, but they need it for this console, given the time frame its being released in compared to its competitors.

just another gimmick IMO. and the controller is going to be expensive IMO. zelda looked badass though

Everyone thought the Wii was a gimmick, now with Kinect and Move they copied it.. this may look like a gimmick, but they're probably right on the money with what people want .. again, and this'll probably be the next big thing.

This console won't come out for another year and a half, why do you guys expect EVERYTHING right now? Their wasn't a full reveal of everything at E3 2005... hell PS Vita is coming out this year and I still haven't seen much of the console UI itself.

You guys are being unbelievably too hard to please. If they announced everything right away by the time it came out everyone would have been bored of waiting.

I'll just leave this here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Remote_Play

It is normal for all the tech companies to take each other's ideas and improve them. Look at Apple this week taking things from Android and Blackberry, and putting them in iOS with a spit shine.

Not even remotely the same thing. Apple basically took the exact features from Windows Phone and Android; this is almost completely different from the PSP's remote play.

Everyone thought the Wii was a gimmick, now with Kinect and Move they copied it.. this may look like a gimmick, but they're probably right on the money with what people want .. again, and this'll probably be the next big thing.

What, like the 3DS?

:laugh:

Kinect is nothing like the Wii's motion controls, somewhat inspired I guess, but not a copy.

How much is this controller going to cost? The one thing the Wii has going for it is it's cheap price.

Why would this be the next "big thing"?

Wii was popular not because of the games, but because they got casual players interested. How is this going to captivate the casual market? My parents would not give a sh*t about this product.

this is almost completely different from the PSP's remote play.

Sure it isn't - the Wii U trailer suggests playing without the TV is possible, which is the same as streaming (granted one of the few) compatible PS3 games to PSP via remote play, while the TV is off. Right?

Not even remotely the same thing. Apple basically took the exact features from Windows Phone and Android; this is almost completely different from the PSP's remote play.

Can you explain why it's completely different from Remote Play? Remote Play never really took off because the PSP's controllers were limited. But it is fundamentally the same thing as the Wii U.

Remote Play:

Insert game into console. It beams a streaming video to the handheld. You can use the handheld to control the game.

Wii U:

Insert game into console. It beams a streaming video to the handheld. You can use the handheld to control the game.

Sure it isn't - the Wii U trailer suggests playing without the TV is possible, which is the same as streaming (granted one of the few) compatible PS3 games to PSP via remote play, while the TV is off. Right?

You're significantly over simplifying things on purpose to make them appear more similar than they really are. It's like saying a wheel barrow is the same thing as a Ferrari because they both have tires.

The features of the Wii U controller dwarf the remote play the PSP offered. Furthermore, the PSP wasn't even the first with that idea of remote connections like this.

just another gimmick IMO. and the controller is going to be expensive IMO. zelda looked badass though

Just wanted to throw this in just in case you hadn't seen it yet:

(Before those Nintendo fans set expectations to impossibly stratospheric, please note that Nintendo said this Zelda demo, sporting a Twilight Princess artistic sensibility, was only a demonstration. There were many "ifs" and "maybes" in this "Wouldn't it be cool if we did this?" presentation, but no promise of an actual game.) Kotaku

I don't agree. All this did was show us that this console generation is going to go on as long as Microsoft and Sony predicted and wanted -- we've still probably got a good three years left, I would imagine, if not more. Nintendo hasn't forced either company's hand with this console -- it just evens the playing field. When Microsoft released Kinect and Sony released Move, Nintendo had to do something. Its competitive advantage of an innovative control scheme was gone.

Sounds like you are kind of thinking all the same kind of lines that I am in that this is just a stepping stone until MS/Sony release their next console. In my opinion, the Wii U isn't destined as a next generation console as some in here kept mentioning.

This console won't come out for another year and a half, why do you guys expect EVERYTHING right now? Their wasn't a full reveal of everything at E3 2005... hell PS Vita is coming out this year and I still haven't seen much of the console UI itself.

You guys are being unbelievably too hard to please. If they announced everything right away by the time it came out everyone would have been bored of waiting.

We actually seen real games for the Vita and they are playable so I think it is kind of a tough comparison to this situation. There are so many concepts with little real direction yet, you can't be surprised that people are skeptical.