E3 2011: PS Vita global launch, $249

Before Kaz Hirai or any other Sony officials announced the actual price of the recently renamed PlayStation Vita, the company's PR wing tipped us off to the price and release date: PlayStation Vita will launch worldwide "by the end of 2011," and will arrive in two models starting at $249. SCE detailed the two separate PSV models as a 3G/Wi-Fi version running $299/?299/?29,980, and a Wi-Fi-only model for $249/ ?249/?24,980.

Sony excuses the bizarre name by explaining its Latin roots, saying "Vita" was specifically chosen for its meaning of "life." Apparently Sony believes mobile gaming is life? We're trying here, but it's ... it's kind of a bizarre name.

Joystiq

And confirmed on stage, lol.

That's a great price to go head to head with the 3DS, we will probably be ripped off here though. :p

TROPHIES :D

Joystiq

That's a great price to go head to head with the 3DS, we will probably be ripped off here though. :p

Meh I'd much rather buy something for $250 like the Vita which has been seriously improved rather than a DS Lite with 3D Tacked on

Makes me glad I held off on picking up a 3DS because it looks like I'll definitely be picking this up instead. While there are many Nintendo games I like, I just can't resist being able to play Uncharted on the go, and the integration with the PS3 is looking promising if Ruin (I think it was this game?) is anything to go by for future games.

Joystiq

So its going to have trophies too? :whistle:

So its going to have trophies too? :whistle:

They showed it was going to have trophies a while ago, I just wanted to mention it again anyway, lol.

Just saw

Oddworld: Munch's Oddysee and Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath coming to PS Vita this holiday season, with cross platform cloud saves #

Awesome :D

Definitely a solid price point. Between the price point and the inclusion of Street Fighter vs Tekken, it's looking like a really tempting buy. The Vita pretty much saved Sony's E3 press conference for me (though that name will take some getting used to).

I have to give Sony kudos for finally having a damn clue. Pricing it the exact same as the 3DS, whilst being better, isn't normally a Sony move. They may finally get a win in the handheld market.

I have to give Sony kudos for finally having a damn clue. Pricing it the exact same as the 3DS, whilst being better, isn't normally a Sony move. They may finally get a win in the handheld market.

Let's not get ahead of ourselves. It'll take more than an equal price(for the moment) for nintendo to lose the section of the gaming market they've held for over 20 years.

OH wait now that I tihnk of it, They'll probably sell it for like $500 here in aus.. Looks like I'll be buying US Version :shiftyninja:

Rumor has it the Aussie price is gonna be ~AU$399 (~USD$428/~?293)...as usual looks like we are getting screwed over :/

Rumor has it the Aussie price is gonna be ~AU$399 (~USD$428/~?293)...as usual looks like we are getting screwed over :/

Wow. Just Wow

Wow. Just Wow

Yeah I know, I mean it's not confirmed yet but still. The official price from Sony Australia is TBA, however, based on what they will say speculation has been an AUD$399 price is likely.

Why is there over a $160 dollar mark up for euro/pal regions again? God dammit Sony.

The Japanese will pay about $310. If rumours are true, the Australians will have it the worst. Why do Americans get everything cheap? :blink:

The Japanese will pay about $310. If rumours are true, the Australians will have it the worst. Why do Americans get everything cheap? :blink:

Because their market is damn huge. Even at a low price they stand to make a massive profit, while tiny markets like Australia they need to inflate the prices to profit off the smaller customer base (plus high import taxes and other government taxes offset the profits as well). This is often why Australia misses out on so many things, the cost of getting it here and selling it out weights the profit they'd make off our tiny population. That is how I understand it, could be wrong.

Because their market is damn huge. Even at a low price they stand to make a massive profit, while tiny markets like Australia they need to inflate the prices to profit off the smaller customer base (plus high import taxes and other government taxes offset the profits as well). This is often why Australia misses out on so many things, the cost of getting it here and selling it out weights the profit they'd make off our tiny population. That is how I understand it, could be wrong.

I'm sure you're right and that's what it's all about.

At least, it makes sense in terms of Australia. But is Europe such a small market? Or is it all the regionalisation necessary there?