The "I stole it off eBay / Craigslist!" Thread.

I got a Dell Inspiron 570 desktop (Athlon 2 X4, 6gb ram, 1 tb hdd), Samsung LED 21" monitor, Logitech wireless keyboard and mouse, HD webcam, creative speakers and all the manuals & CDs for $75.00 on Craigslist. It wasn't stolen, but the people were moving and apparently not  knowledgeable about computers.  Today, I am using the computer everyday and have added a much better graphics card to it.  Craigslist is an awesome place!

Craigslist=

Ad specified a 42 inch "Element" LCD, the lady wanted $20 for it, I didnt have a way to test it on site, so I took it home, hooked it up, plugged it in, worked just fine, used it till the wife and I lost our home in January.

Today I had a customer give me a 27 inch i7 16GB Mid 2011 iMac for what ever I told him I would give him for it. I said $200. So I got that for $200

I then got a 24 inch HP Touchscreen 610 i5 6GB for just erasing the hard drive for this same customer.

When I was in college, I bought countless "broken" iPods on Ebay, which always turned out to be fixed by a hard restore or by replacing cheap parts.  That was basically my beer fund.

I also bought a RROD "launch day" 360 back in college and fixed it with $0.25 in screws and nuts (X-clamp fix).  Flashed it with iXtreme, and that thing lasted for about 3 solid years before baking it in the oven (don't ask haha) wouldn't revive it anymore.

When the iPhone 5 came out a year ago, I bought a ton of 4Ss on Craigslist for really cheap and turned them around on Ebay for about a $100 profit each.  I did the same with a few Galaxy S3s, but those weren't as profitable.  This actually reminds me that I should start hunting down some iPhone 5's and do the same gig.  Good money to be made on Apple crap.

The other good deal I can think of is when the Nvidia GTX 680 came out, I picked one up from a guy for $300 about 2 weeks after it launched.  At the time, I believe that was less than half price.  Couldn't pass it up. :)

not really ebay/cl, but one day after going to the grocery store,i noticed beside the dumpster bins a tv on the side,with a piece of paper that says free,not working. it was a 55" panasonic. took it home,opened her up,and replaced the hdmi chip that i got for 20 cents from hkinventory.com.

How did you diagnose the problem??

How did you diagnose the problem??

the panel would turn on, so i knew the power supply was in good shape, i just wasnt getting anything on screen. i began looking at the ICs on the board,and touching them to check the temperatures. if a chip is very hot, it could be a sign that something is wrong. to make sure, i hooked up my scope to some output pins,and lo and behold, the outputs were tri stated. this confirmed my suspicion. i also made sure to check with my magnifier to make sure there wasnt any debris that could be shorting the pins,or any nearby connections. jumped on hong kong inventory and found the exact same chip. desoldered the old one and put the new one in( luckily it wasnt bga, so it was an easy job), and i was back in business..

Got a surface Pro with type cover and stylus $325, wife's coworker got his wife the surface for Christmas and she bought an Ipad and she said Windows 8 was too confusing.

Traded Surface on Craigslist for a 6 month old Alienware ALX I7 all the bells and whistles.

I've gotten a couple deals, though I don't use eBay much..

Garage Sales:

• The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time / Master Quest for Gamecube - $10 (Local store was selling it for $110, eBay was around $80+)
  • Colecovision with original box, all cables and 1 game (Zaxxon) - Free (Was said to be broken, worked perfectly, just needed a converter)
  • Odyssey With original box, and all cables - Free (Claimed it didn't work, works perfectly, just needed the converter)

Kijiji

• James Bond 007 Golden Eye for the N64 - $5 (Local stores selling it for $45, used)

Friend

• XBox 360 120gig with 1 controller and headset - $60 (He wanted the new slim version)

2013 Sony PocketStation - ?14.03, inc. shipping from Japan to UK.

Fully working with FFVIII Chocobo World installed - device doesn't have a mark on it. Some joker is selling a poor state one in the UK for ?70 (and has watchers).

2013 - Assassins Creed Brotherhood & Revelations Double Pack PS3, ?12.98 inc. shipping

(week of release)

2013 - HP DOCKING STATION (port replicator), ?6 inc shipping

These still retail for ?80+

2013 - Darksiders & Darksiders II PS3, ?3.25 inc shipping

2013 Crash Bandicoot Warped (3) for the PS - ?9.50 inc shipping

Had a sticker on it (which WD40 removed with ease), in real "like new" condition. Almost destroyed versions can go for over ?18 + P&P...

2013 - Ridge Racer Type 4, ?2.79 inc shipping

Discs didn't even appear to have been played, as new.

2011 Joblot 3x Broken Xbox 360's - ?28, free shipping

All working to this day after reflow and a bloody good clean. I even have a first release 2005 console out of it.

I just got an 8GB Nexus 7 off craigslist for $100, in a case with screen protector the whole time, so perfect shape. May not be the best deal to most since it's only an 8GB, but I'm going to have USB storage plugged into it when it becomes my new head unit in my car. :)

Oh, and I guess you could count this one. When I bought the car my avatar came from, a 2003 Mustang Cobra, I paid $21,000 for it. I had fun with it for about a year then I sold it (wish I hadn't, but that's another story :laugh:) for $23,000, both times on craigslist.

I build RC cars and was ordering a carbon fibre chassis for a 1/16th scale car.

Listed it was ?75.00

When it was sent out, it had an invoice for ?7.50 :) :)

Yeah, I wouldn't be surprised if she divorced him too.  Surface?  WTF was he thinking....?

I dunno, definitely a poor decision on his part.

OK, so not tech related, but the best deal I got was for 150 pairs of Dr Marten Steel toe cap shoes (Royal Mail Surplus) for just over ?100.  A friend also bought 150 pairs for around the same price.  We easily made our money back even though people were so tight arsed they wouldn't pay ?5 per pair for them.

craigslist

Dell studio 19 touch screen   for $125   with kb , mouse   and sold  today  for $300 :D   ( only had for 2 weeks )

customer stops in my shop and sold me a ipad 1 16gb for $50   just reloaded ios  and works fine ( i asked him what he had to have for it and was told that price) got $200 for it i think    with  JB

verizon iphone 4   for $75

samsung galaxy tab 2 7"  ruby  for $80

gateway mini tower w windows 8 + 21"   for $100

i always get a bill of sale and driver license number if they sell to me in my shop

My best was 2xPolk Monitor 70s in perfect condition for $250, they retail for about $300 a piece.  Guy said he was given them in lieu of cash that a friend owed him.  They sat in his living room un-used for almost a year. 

• 11 months later...

Got a 32GB Galaxy Nexus Sprint off eBay for $29 free shipping. They said it wouldn't go pass the activation screen. I was like SWEET, assuming the screen works i'll just install a custom recovery and flash it. When the phone arrived and it got the activation screen and I tapped next and mext pressed, I was like SWEET screen, i'm home free.

Now I have it running Slimkat 4.4.4

Never intended to be used as a cell phone, just an internet device for a friend.

Ebay: A pair of used Polk Audio Monitor 40 speakers for $65 (June 2013) - new, these are $300 the pair, or you can buy factory refurbished from Polk's Ebay store for around $130.

Ebay: A used Polk Audio subwoofer PSW100 for $50 (January 2014)