• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#1 Ironman273

Ironman273

Neowinian Fanatic

• Tech Issues Solved: 3
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 920

Posted 08 June 2011 - 11:30

Nintendo admits its Wii U highlight reel was spiced up with PS3 and Xbox 360 footage
By Vlad Savov

Posted Image

Nintendo's E3 2011 keynote yesterday gave the world its first official look at the all-new Wii U hardware plus (we thought) a glimpse at the graphical capabilities of its next console. As it turns out, the impressive list of upcoming games for the 2012-bound console was just that, a list, with the visuals we saw on screen coming from PS3 and Xbox 360 versions of said titles. Nintendo of America chief Reggie Fils-Aime has confirmed that to be the case in an interview with GameTrailers, where he also points out that the eventual Wii U games will look at least as good as their PS3 / 360 counterparts. Which is why, in his eyes, it's okay to show us those games being played on the competition's (current-gen) hardware. He does remind us that the Wii U will be delivering graphics at a 1080p resolution, and points to the garden tech demo that also graced E3 as an indicator of what can be done with Nintendo's next console. That's all well and good, but maybe tell us in advance next time, Reggie?

Source: Engadget

:pinch: Ouch! Not cool.

#2 The Protagonist

The Protagonist

time for a little wget magic

Posted 08 June 2011 - 11:33

thats not like nintendo? the console was at E3, so no reason not to demo its graphics, unless it was just an empty case :shiftyninja:

#3 sweetham

sweetham

Will Hump for G-nades

Posted 08 June 2011 - 11:33

Pretty quick to own up to it, so I can give them props for that. The WiiU may just not be developed enough or have firm hardware specs yet, which may be why they had no real WiiU footage.

#4 TheLegendOfMart

TheLegendOfMart

Neowinian Senior

Posted 08 June 2011 - 11:35

Then why announce it at this years E3 then if its not ready and is more than a year away?

#5 sweetham

sweetham

Will Hump for G-nades

Posted 08 June 2011 - 11:40

Then why announce it at this years E3 then if its not ready and is more than a year away?

PR, Specs could be close to being finalized but not quite, Not enough time, and without the announcement of the WiiU, Nintendo's E3 line-up would have proably been the worst out of the three.

#6 XIII

XIII

Neowinian Senior

Posted 08 June 2011 - 11:42

Nintendo is kinda like Apple, doesn't innovate but just go around ripping everyone off and sell last-gen products for a premium price.

#7 AbandonedTrolley

AbandonedTrolley

Dexter Freak

Posted 08 June 2011 - 11:49

Nintendo is kinda like Apple, doesn't innovate but just go around ripping everyone off and sell last-gen products for a premium price.

Doesn't innovate :blink: they are pretty much the reason for Move and Kinect, there was no real talk of main stream motion control on consoles before the Wii. Also wasn't the analogue stick first on the N64? I think you are about the only person i've ever seen claim that Nintendo aren't innovators!

#8 Davo

Davo

Neowinian

Posted 08 June 2011 - 11:54

Nintendo has been especially hard to defend recently

#9 OP Ironman273

Ironman273

Neowinian Fanatic

• Tech Issues Solved: 3
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 920

Posted 08 June 2011 - 11:59

They could've at least put a "target render" type message on the footage...

#10 Anooxy

Anooxy

iPhantom

• Phone: Nokia 500

Posted 08 June 2011 - 12:01

Doesn't innovate :blink: they are pretty much the reason for Move and Kinect, there was no real talk of main stream motion control on consoles before the Wii. Also wasn't the analogue stick first on the N64? I think you are about the only person i've ever seen claim that Nintendo aren't innovators!

Wasn't EyeToy created before Wii was released? And if I recall correctly, PlayStation Move was being planned during PS2 era. So no, Move and Kinect isn't ripped off from Wii. All the companies were heading that way, it's just that Nintendo released it first.

Also, http://en.wikipedia....ony_Flightstick was released before N64's controller, and PSone's controller set the trend for dual analog sticks cuz N64 only had one.

#11 Bonfire

Bonfire

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: Rotary Dial

Posted 08 June 2011 - 12:07

Well that was kind of lame, did they think no one would call them out on that?

#12 AbandonedTrolley

AbandonedTrolley

Dexter Freak

Posted 09 June 2011 - 13:47

Wasn't EyeToy created before Wii was released? And if I recall correctly, PlayStation Move was being planned during PS2 era. So no, Move and Kinect isn't ripped off from Wii. All the companies were heading that way, it's just that Nintendo released it first.

Also, http://en.wikipedia....ony_Flightstick was released before N64's controller, and PSone's controller set the trend for dual analog sticks cuz N64 only had one.

I'm not saying they ripped them off but they brought them mainstream before anyone else and the flightstick was a single peripheral, not a main controller for all games. What i'm saying is that the Wii made motion control more well known to the masses. Yes EyeToy was out before the Wii, but again it wasn't the MAIN control of the PS2, it was an additional peripheral that was poorly supported. BTW before you think i'm a Nintendo fan, I don't own the Wii and never will (although the WiiU looks interesting) I've had a 360 and currently have a PS3 with Move and love it.

#13 Geoffrey B.

Geoffrey B.

LittleNeutrino

• Tech Issues Solved: 9
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 928 WP8.1

Posted 09 June 2011 - 13:48

When will these companies learn from each others mistakes lol.

#14 Elliott

Elliott

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: iPhone 5s

Posted 09 June 2011 - 13:56

I have no doubt that the Wii U is able to deliver those graphics. The tech demos they had on the show floor looked incredible, and yes, those were realtime.

#15 BajiRav

BajiRav

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Lumia 920

Posted 09 June 2011 - 14:08

I haven't really followed Wii U (terrible name :pinch: ), what do they expect in terms of graphical capability? Will it exceed PS3/Xbox?