iOS 5: First Look at Notifications!

Do anyone know how it works with the calendar? Does it simply show a certain amount of upcoming events like lockinfo (I hope it does) or will just calendar alerts show up?

Also, I've seen someone say that developers can let their app put stuff in the notification list just like stocks and weather does, anyone know if that's true? Are there any such APIs?

Do anyone know how it works with the calendar? Does it simply show a certain amount of upcoming events like lockinfo (I hope it does) or will just calendar alerts show up?

Calendar notifications are predetermined by the alert associated with them (just like in iOS 4).

Also, I've seen someone say that developers can let their app put stuff in the notification list just like stocks and weather does, anyone know if that's true? Are there any such APIs?

Upcoming events are not displayed which is a shame, until the alert actually happens (a workaround might be setting an alert to a day before an event)

As for developer API's and adding widgets to the notification list - this isn't possible at the moment

Upcoming events are not displayed which is a shame, until the alert actually happens (a workaround might be setting an alert to a day before an event)

As for developer API's and adding widgets to the notification list - this isn't possible at the moment

So the notifications are actually inferior to lockinfo, well that is a shame :( it's nice to just have to look at my lockscreen to see the schedule for the next few days and not having to actually open the calendar app, reminders would work for my personal calendar that I add events for myself, but hardly helps the two ical subscriptions from school, can't add notifications to them can I? And if I can it would be a lot of reminders to set every week :p no thanks :p

Well, guess I'll have to learn checking calendar this autumn or hope someone makes a Cydia tweak for it...

Shame developers can't add "widgets", would have been awesome.

I mean, how many actually cares about the stocks? And while yahoo might work well in US or the UK it's pretty bad in some places, according to them the whole of south-eastern Sweden have pretty much the same weather as they get data from so few weather stations. Would have been nice if SMHI (wonder why yahoo won't just work with them.) could deliver their detailed weather directly to my notification list. Oh well... Maybe they will let developers do this in the future, seem like a perfect way to implement widgets in iOS.

Yup they are, don't know how you missed it ^^

I mean with all the coverage of everything from WWDC to that student claiming he came up with the idea of Syncing over Wifi and Apple stole his idea :p

What does the blinking icon mean? That it's a new notification?

Wonder why they didn't at least add a statusbar icon that indicates new notifications in the list...

Hmm wish Apple would allow third party apps to put stuff in the Notification list like stocks and weather do. Would be a great way to implement proper widgets (Apple has always called the weather and stocks apps widgets)

Also, for anyone saying it's a rip off of Android. It is similar yea, and the use the same activation method, I'll give you that, even though sliding down from the statusbar is kind of logical.

It is a list of notifications. A list is always going to be a list not much you can do about that, it's the most sensible way to display a notifications log.

In keeping with the iOS theme, the iPhone could add a "notifications centre" app which displays a red bubble with the number of notifications on the icon, and when you go into the app it lists all of your notifications.

It's a blatant rip off but I don't blame them for stealing the idea :laugh:

Does this new notification system have symbols (eg mail symbol) in the statusbar?

Not as far as I can see. Extra icons would be too much clutter. Imagine having the following...

Portrait Lock, Bluetooth, Play, Battery Percentage and the Battery.

Yeah... Plus a long carrier name puts the activity spinner on the right side.

I use a Cydia mod at the moment to have those icons and actually, I have no problems with the clutter. I like the fact that I can see if I have any missed calls, unread mails, ... the moment I activate my phone. The new notification system will replace that because of the notifications on the lockscreen but I tend to quickly look at the status bar. I guess it's a matter of getting used to. Without notifications on the lockscreen I'm thankful for having such a modifications.

I use a Cydia mod at the moment to have those icons and actually, I have no problems with the clutter. I like the fact that I can see if I have any missed calls, unread mails, ... the moment I activate my phone. The new notification system will replace that because of the notifications on the lockscreen but I tend to quickly look at the status bar. I guess it's a matter of getting used to. Without notifications on the lockscreen I'm thankful for having such a modifications.

Trust me, the items on the Lock Screen are big enough so that you won't overlook them. It will take one day to get used to looking 2cm further down. ;)

I came from Android to iOS and I'm actually glad I don't have to deal with a bunch of statusbar icons for separate notification icons. Everything looks so much cleaner because of it. Besides, the bubbles have replaced the notification icons for me.

IF they'd put something in the statusbar, I'd rather have 1 corresponding icon for the Notification Center in the statusbar. An icon which would tell you that there's a new notification in the Notification Center which needs your attention. No clutter and at least a notification in the statusbar.

I came from Android to iOS and I'm actually glad I don't have to deal with a bunch of statusbar icons for separate notification icons. Everything looks so much cleaner because of it. Besides, the bubbles have replaced the notification icons for me.

IF they'd put something in the statusbar, I'd rather have 1 corresponding icon for the Notification Center in the statusbar. An icon which would tell you that there's a new notification in the Notification Center which needs your attention. No clutter and at least a notification in the statusbar.

Smart idea. I could live with that! :laugh: