syncing gmail and iphone

Hi everyone,

Ok, this is an unbelievably basic question, although I've realized that I've become so integrated that I don't really know what's going on anymore.

1. What's the simplest way to sync Gmail and your iPhone?

2. Does this need to be done through Mail on your Mac?

3. Does MobileMe play any role in this?

4. Can I sync Gmail without using that account within my "Mail", and yet still have it push?

Thanks,

Hi everyone,

Ok, this is an unbelievably basic question, although I've realized that I've become so integrated that I don't really know what's going on anymore.

1. What's the simplest way to sync Gmail and your iPhone?

2. Does this need to be done through Mail on your Mac?

3. Does MobileMe play any role in this?

4. Can I sync Gmail without using that account within my "Mail", and yet still have it push?

Thanks,

1. Using the gmail app for iPhone

2. With answer 1, no

3. With answer 1, no

4. Read http://mail.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?answer=72454

do you have a mac? if your contacts are synced with your mac you can just export them and import them into gmail. I but this doesn't keep them synced and frankly doesn't work all that well (yeah sounds simple but loses numbers like crazy).

http://www.google.com/support/mobile/bin/answer.py?answer=138740&topic=14252

that's something else I tried once but couldn't get it right.... it seems like you can't have both iphone contacts and gmail contacts contribute to the same pool. it kept deleting my gmail or iphone contacts.

once again the above solution sounds like it should do the job, maybe i am just doing things wrong.

OK yea, I've currently got my Gmail set up that way.

So my Gmail is currently not using MobileMe to sync anything? Or is it syncing the Mac-specific things?

Yea I've got a Mac.

I've been running Gmail through Mail, but I think I don't want to do this anymore. My inbox is overflowing and it just doesn't give me the functionality I need. So I took some time this morning to free up a few gigs on my Gmail...

If you have setup your iPhone like in the link that capr posted (and the method which I recommend) them one can safely say that MobileMe is not doing anything. It would only be providing services that are part of Apples MobileMe service

Ok, and will this screw up my contacts?

Why do we set up via an Exchange server rather than the "gmail" thing. Because I think I set up via the "gmail" button before. Should I delete and re-do?

Ok, and will this screw up my contacts?

Why do we set up via an Exchange server rather than the "gmail" thing. Because I think I set up via the "gmail" button before. Should I delete and re-do?

Using the Exchange ActiveSync protocol supports syncing of Mail, Contacts and Calendar and is pushed out and syncs between the iPhone and Gmail Server. So any change you do on the phone appears on the Gmail website and vice versa. I recommend you have your contacts stored in Gmail rather than just on your phone (so if you lost the phone you still have your contacts), but you can tell the iPhone when add the account the not to delete them off the phone. Setting it up via the Gmail option only setups up a basic IMAP connection and does not support contacts nor calender and is not true syncing. The ActiveSync support is newer than the Gmail option as far as I know.

Oh, excellent!

That's really quite confusing. But thanks for the explanation. I guess the "Gmail" option is for those that are perhaps less concerned with everything staying in sync?

If anyone has any further tips or tricks please let me know!

Thanks!

ok, and this is related:

How do I sync with my iCal? Do I select the "google" option, or use CalDav?

And is this a totally integrated sync? (i.e. can I create + invite via iCal and that'll translate into Google Calendar and my Email etc for notifications?)

I would just add the gmail account to the iPhones Mail and Calendar settings. I am not sure if Gmail do push out updates trough this option (Having mail notifications pushed out is one of the advertised feature of their app after all) but seeing how yahoo has done this from day one of the iPhone one would think a highly regarded mail provider such as Gmail does too...

If you add your Gmail calendar you should be able to add items to it from your iPhone yes, works for yahoo so...

EDIT:

Here are Googles own instructions for mail, http://mail.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=77702

That one uses the plain Google mail option, then there is this one, http://www.google.com/support/mobile/bin/answer.py?answer=138740&topic=14252

it uses exchange option to login and gives you both mail and calendar option, but I can imagine the first one does too.

wow. I can't believe that I've had my iPhone for nearly two years and I'm just finding out about this. FML. haha.

Thanks for the advice! If there's anything else I should know, and you can assume I don't already know it, please tell me. haha

Ok, big headache now.

Some of my contacts seem to have remained, others have completely changed. Dunno what's going on.

Any advice? I may have 'imported from SIM' somewhere down the road...

This probably isn't advice, but experiences like this are why I avoid all kinds of sync options. I read my mail in my browser / mail app. And leave my address book on my SIM

This probably isn't advice, but experiences like this are why I avoid all kinds of sync options. I read my mail in my browser / mail app. And leave my address book on my SIM

When it's setup correctly it works perfectly well.

Ok, big headache now.

Some of my contacts seem to have remained, others have completely changed. Dunno what's going on.

Any advice? I may have 'imported from SIM' somewhere down the road...

I can't really help on this. I never had my contacts on the actual phone to start with but at Gmail and have them pushed to my phone. Sorry I can't help.

Well I'm not sure I have my contacts on my phone, or where they are to be honest...

I thought that MobileMe was supposed to solve issues with syncing between your iPhone and your Mac... but apparently not, it just makes things more complicated by having a cloud-based address book as well...?

Hi everyone, Ok, this is an unbelievably basic question, although I've realized that I've become so integrated that I don't really know what's going on anymore. 1. What's the simplest way to sync Gmail and your iPhone?2. Does this need to be done through Mail on your Mac?3. Does MobileMe play any role in this?4. Can I sync Gmail without using that account within my "Mail", and yet still have it push?Thanks,

1.iPhone app

2. No, but it would be faster if you added your contacts on the computer first, then sync.

3.no

4.yes

Hi everyone, Ok, this is an unbelievably basic question, although I've realized that I've become so integrated that I don't really know what's going on anymore. 1. What's the simplest way to sync Gmail and your iPhone?2. Does this need to be done through Mail on your Mac?3. Does MobileMe play any role in this?4. Can I sync Gmail without using that account within my "Mail", and yet still have it push?Thanks,

1.iPhone app

2. No, but it would be faster if you added your contacts on the computer first, then sync.

3.no

4.yes

I came late to the party but I thought I'd throw my hat in the ring.

If I understand your question correctly you want to sync everything in Gmail except your actual mail. The easiest way I can think of doing this (totally computer independent) is to set up Gmail as an Exchange account like detailed here: http://www.google.com/support/mobile/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=138740

Then you can choose which services to sync: Mail, Contacts, Calendars, and with iOS 5 Reminders (Tasks).