Photo

Windows Vista Product Key Rubbed Off

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#16 +Tech Greek

Tech Greek

Neowinian

Posted 27 June 2011 - 02:53

Acer uses a Windows 7 image that doesn't require activation at all (it's "tattooed" in the motherboard).

Call Acer, they will have to issue you a new key for some money or send you the OEM restore cds for money that wont require the key.

#17 Unix2

Unix2

Without Unix, there is not OS X.

Posted 27 June 2011 - 03:02

Acer uses a Windows 7 image that doesn't require activation at all (it's "tattooed" in the motherboard).

Call Acer, they will have to issue you a new key for some money or send you the OEM restore cds for money that wont require the key.

I agree, if I was you, I will order the original restore CDs. They will only charge you a small fee for the shipping.

#18 +Karl L.

Karl L.

xorangekiller

• Tech Issues Solved: 15

Posted 27 June 2011 - 03:56

As others have already said, you should probably look at using SLP activation. If you ordered the restore discs from your system manufacturer, this is the method that they would use, but there is no reason why you can't do it yourself.

Here is a quick synopsis of SLP according to Wikipedia:

System Locked Preinstallation, often abbreviated as SLP, is a procedure used by major OEM computer manufacturers in order to preactivate Microsoft Windows before mass distribution. There are three different versions of SLP: 2.1, 2.0, and SLP, which is now commonly referred to as SLP 1.0 to avoid confusion. These versions roughly coincide with Windows NT versions (see table below). Operating systems that use SLP 1.0 check for a particular text string in a computer's BIOS upon booting. If the text string does not match the information stored in the particular installation's OEM BIOS files, the user is prompted to activate his or her copy as normal. SLP 2.0 and SLP 2.1 works in a similar manner. This effectively "locks" the operating system to the qualified motherboard. In addition, if an end user feels the need to perform a "clean install" of Windows, and if the manufacturer supplies the user with an installation disc (not a "System Recovery" disc that is a hard drive image), the user will not be prompted to activate the copy, given that the installation is performed on the same motherboard. Furthermore, because the check only involves the BIOS and not hardware, a user is allowed to change virtually all hardware components within the machine except motherboard, a procedure that would normally trigger re-activation in retail Windows copies.

Since your BIOS already has the SLP 2.0 certificate embedded into it, all you need are the other two pieces of the puzzle: the OEM's software certificate and master product key. Fortunately, these are not specific to your computer and can be easily installed. I wrote a small utility that will automatically do this for you. (So long as Windows Vista is up-to-date first, it will crash otherwise.) Before someone inevitably points this out, this is not piracy! Pirates use a similar method, except they install a loader that emulates the BIOS certificate. You have no need for that because you have a legitimate certificate already in your BIOS. My utility does not install a loader or otherwise attempt to spoof the BIOS certificate. It will only install the other two pieces necessary to activate Windows. This is the exact same method the your OEM used before they shipped your computer.

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!