OS X Lion Golden Master seeded to developers

Ah cool. Didn't know things were so far down the road in terms of burning a bootable Lion...

Ever since the first DP people have been extracting the DMG and then burning it and doing a clean install

I would imagine this is the finalized Mission Control app icon:

post-119000-0-44051000-1309571711.png

I was hoping they'd go with the metallic one shown at WWDC, but this one isn't bad, either.

Apple ****ing sucks ass for not including a new intro movie. Totally blows the entire Mac OS X Lion experience for me. I'm so sticking to Mac OS X Snow Leopard now... :angry:

:p

They're still using the Leopard/Snow Leopard intro video? I was actually expecting they'd do a new one, perhaps themed around Mission Control, Launchpad or w/e feature they consider the "best."

They arn't using ANY movie.

What happens when you do a completely clean Lion install then? The Setup Assistant just jumps directly to the account setup?

Kind of interesting, since a little startup animation seemed to be one of the neat little things about Mac OS X.

Apple added in keyboard shortcuts to switch between desktops in the GM, according to http://itsalltech.com/2011/07/01/apple-releases-mac-os-x-lion-gold-master-seed-to-developers/

Wouldn't the same shortcuts that switched spaces also work for the desktops in Mission Control? At least, the ones I was using in SL seemed to be working fine in Lion, too.

Yes, but I don't think they were turned on by default on Lion before this build. I think they were there, just not enabled. Maybe coming from SL changed that.

What happens when you do a completely clean Lion install then? The Setup Assistant just jumps directly to the account setup?

Kind of interesting, since a little startup animation seemed to be one of the neat little things about Mac OS X.

Goes directly to the location / user creation / how to scroll video.

Do i need to prepare anything to do a clean install when it's released. I use time machine to backup to my NAS so all data should be on there. I'd like to use the opportunity to upgrade the hard drive, maybe to 1 of those 320gb hybrid drives.

Is it just a case of burning lion, swapping the disk, clean install and then running a restore from time machine? i've never had to restore from a backup so i don't know how that works, plus i only want to restore MY files, i don't want it to pull all old logs and other trash that bog up systems.

Indeed it does. And I'm liking the GM, might have to wipe out my SL partition now...

Does the install DVD require an internet connection (the make a bootable DVD method works but it fails saying cannot download additional packages to install lion...)

Goes directly to the location / user creation / how to scroll video.

:cry: It's what made installing Mac OS X fun... You know, sort of like the rewarding clip you would see after completing a Command & Conqueror mission. :laugh:

I don't know what magic Apple pulled, but this seems blazingly fast in comparison to the DPs.

Don't DPs have a tendency to be slower because of all the extra debugging that's being done? I sort of remember a noticeable change in performance after every new Mac OS X release hits GM.

If you have multiple macs, don't forget you can use remote install :D is a tad slower, but saves ya from wasting a dvd/copying to usb drive.

How big was this video? Since Lion became a download only, I guess it makes sense for not including it. It's like those Ubi Soft logos when you start a game on the PS3, 1080p and everything. Must weight over 100MB. If Apple's movie makes you save 30-40MB of download, that's still something.

However, when you upgrade from Snow Leopard, they could trigger the video, because everybody has it right now. Are they just deleting it when installing... ?

--

Can someone explain me why would they take 14 days to validate it and upload it through the App Store? I would think this is release on Monday or Tuesday at worse, not July 14. I mean, I thought when you had a Golden Master, you would send it to the DVD Burning Factory and it would take one or two weeks to burn it on thousands of DVDs and box them up, and ship it through the stores. Apple doesn't have to go through this process if they're making it a download only... If it's really available through the App Store on July 14, there has to be at least one difference between the GM and this ... I'm confused ?

Ugh i can't seem to get the recovery partition to work or even get a bootable dvd to do a clean install :s

How big was this video? Since Lion became a download only, I guess it makes sense for not including it. It's like those Ubi Soft logos when you start a game on the PS3, 1080p and everything. Must weight over 100MB. If Apple's movie makes you save 30-40MB of download, that's still something.

A whopping 20 MB for the intro movie and another whopping 1,1 MB for the intro sound. Which means the download would take what, ten seconds longer to finish on today's connections? It's not like you'll be downloading Mac OS X Lion through your mobile data plan where every KB matters...

However, when you upgrade from Snow Leopard, they could trigger the video, because everybody has it right now. Are they just deleting it when installing... ?

How would that work for Macs that ship with Mac OS X Lion or when a Erase & Install is being performed? Obviously Apple wants a consistent experience.

Can someone explain me why would they take 14 days to validate it and upload it through the App Store? I would think this is release on Monday or Tuesday at worse, not July 14. I mean, I thought when you had a Golden Master, you would send it to the DVD Burning Factory and it would take one or two weeks to burn it on thousands of DVDs and box them up, and ship it through the stores. Apple doesn't have to go through this process if they're making it a download only... If it's really available through the App Store on July 14, there has to be at least one difference between the GM and this ... I'm confused ?

Even the GM has to be tested for any show stopping bugs before releasing it to the general public. Two weeks to test it isn't exactly unreasonable.

You have to keep in mind that Apple must give time to developers to test their apps on the GM

I am happy so far with the GM. The only app that is behaving erratic is Word 2011, but it isn't bad. I mean it works but it doesn't play good with Spaces.

Apart from that Lion is snappy and works great so far.

I am happy so far with the GM. The only app that is behaving erratic is Word 2011, but it isn't bad. I mean it works but it doesn't play good with Spaces.

Apart from that Lion is snappy and works great so far.

I remember the same happening with Office 2004 on Leopard; it seems to be a trend with Microsoft's OS X products. I wonder if it's because they didn't bother with Cocoa (except here and there)?

When should this be available for purchase?

I've heard July 14 or the 15 but that could have just been a rumor. It sounds reasonable as it gives the testers 2 weeks with the GM before going final. You testers better test the **** out of it so that it is perfect when I install the final ;).

GM works great, loving it. My only problem is with Logitech Performace MX. I use the thumb button to show desktop but it doesn't work. I guess it needs new drivers.