Asus EEE Pad Transformer

Asus Transformer Review

So basically how this came about is that i got tired of my dell mini. I loved the fact I could install the OSX, but the Atom CPU just wasn't cutting it. I looked over other netbooks and wasn't that impressed. The next step was obviously tablets and currently the king is the iPad 2. The problem with the iPad was that I already had an iPhone, so why would I want a bigger version of my cell phone? I was also looking for something with HDMI out and expandable memory, so it looked like Android tablets were my only option which I didn't mind because I have always wanted an Android device. Then I discovered the Asus EEE Pad Transformer, and when I found out you could attach a keyboard to the device it was an obvious choice.

Hardware

IMG_0541mini.jpgIMG_0539mini.jpgIMG_0544mini.jpgIMG_0549mini.jpgIMG_0547mini.jpg

This thing is a tiny powerful beast. With the nVidia Tegra 2 dual core 1ghz (people have oc?ed this thing to 1.5ghz), it'll do almost anything you throw it (keyword almost, but we will get to that later) . 1080p MKV videos, no problem, graphic intensive games with ease and multi tasking abilities that the iPad wishes it could pull off.

The thing is also very nicely built, while not as light as the iPad 2 (1.5lbs total, about .3 lbs heavier) it feels well built and something that would be able to take a couple of falls without a problem.

Battery life is great too, coming in about 6-7 hours when watching movies, browsing the web, checking email and playing games is pretty good. Attach the keyboard dock to it and you will get double that.

The screen on this little guy is also amazing. The very bright LED powered IPS screen is gorgeous and it's viewing angle is even better (at 178 degrees) anyone and everyone can see what is playing on this screen. I am able to look at the screen for hours and get no real eye strain, which is great, because this thing has now become my full time e-book reader (Kobo app rules!).

The camera isn't bad either, while the front is rated at 5MP, it's definitely not as good as my iPhones (which is fine because I never ever plan on using this as a camera). The camera on the front rated at 1.2MP which is more the good for video calls (whenever you feel like adding video support to Android Skype we would all appreciate it).

The keyboard dock is great but in my opinion a little over priced if you pay MSRP of $150.00 can/US. Luckily I was able to find it online for $110. With the dock you get almost full sized keyboard, a multi touch trackpad, a full SD card reader, two USB slots that will read external HDDs, a mouse, charge your phone with etc. and of course another battery. The keyboard feels great and compliments the tablet really well. The only problem though is that it can be a bitch to attach the dock to the tablet securely. The first time took me a couple of minutes to do it properly, but with practise you will get the hang of it (mostly...). Another downside though, is the dock will double the weight of the entire unit. My beef with the keyboard dock is as soon as it?s plugged in, auto correct and spell check are turned off, which definitely sucks when trying to do some office work with Quick Office or Polaris Office (which only comes with Asus tablets and better IMO) because those apps don?t have built in support for spell checking. I started writing this review in Polaris Office, jumped to Quick Office to try it, back to Polaris but now using Google Docs to edit the document and spell check it. One of those guys need to add spell check support! Also, they need to add the option that disables the trackpad while typing, it?s really annoying and really easy to do on such a small device.

I do have some beefs with the the way Asus came up with their design decisions. For one, the headphone jack in to the top right of the tablet. That means that the cord could dangle in front of you while are using the thing in it?s default configuration (yes i know you can just flip the tablet and let the accelerometer do it?s things, but that means you are technically using it upside down), especially when you use the keyboard dock. Also, I want to kick the dbag who decided that using a proprietary connector would be a good idea, then kick him again when he decided that you couldn't buy a replacement cable if you wanted to, and then kick one last time for only supplying a two foot data/power cable with the device. I would really love for someone at Asus to justify that decision for me. Also the adapter itself is based on USB 3 because of the extra voltage USB 3 puts out compared to USB 2, meaning unless you have a computer with a USB 3 slots in it, you can?t charge it when plugged into the PC. Another bad choice in my opinion.

Software

P20110702111415mini.jpgP20110702111556mini.jpgP20110629192914mini.jpgP20110702113449mini.jpgP20110624221542mini.jpgP20110702113256mini.jpgP20110702113233mini.jpgP20110702113032mini.jpg

Now here is the best and worst thing about the Transformer. Android is a great mobile/tablet OS and Asus did some great things with it. The default look is beautiful. They integrated the keyboard and trackpad really nicely into the OS where as you can use the dock with pretty much no problems. The Asus email app is great and so are the included Asus widgets. It's fast, optimized really well and really responsive. It's also, in my opinion, a gorgeous looking piece of software. I love iOS, and think the elements and UI are really nice looking, but man do I hate the way the icons looks. You think Apple could pull of something nicer looking. With Android, I have no problems. Also, I love widgets. My sports, email, weather, kobo and Pulse widgets are awesome.

Navigating the OS is also really easy as well. I can swipe through the screen with my finger or do a two finger swipe on my trackpad. I can open an app up with a trackpad click or a finger click, and being able to do both whenever I want to is great. This thing really makes a good case that netbooks should have a touchscreen monitor.

Having flash on the device is almost great, but barely over good. While going to my favourite sites and seeing i can view their content no problem, flash runs slow as on Android. If there are flash elements on webpage, scrolling will be slow. Also, for whatever reason, 720p flash videos ran like ass on this device, but work fine on the Xoom and Galaxy Tab 10.1. I really don't know who to blame for that, Asus or Adobe, but it needs to be fixed because 720p HTML5 videos on youtube work without issue. Who know?s, with Ice Cream (Android 3.2) just around the corner, it may fix that and hopefully bring full hardware acceleration, something that the iPad, iPhone, iPod Touch and iOS have.

A big problem though is the number of apps available. While there are tons of Android apps, a very very tiny amount of those apps are actually optimized for tablets and then you have to worry if those apps will actually work on your device as it may not be compatible. Fragmentation is bitch and is a big problem with android. Anyone telling you otherwise is rather just ignorant to the fact or a straight android fanboy. I have a up to date, top of the line android device, but that doesn't mean I can ran all the apps available to the OS. It's a giant pain in the butt when you see an app you want on the start page of the Android Market, click on it just to see it isn't compatible with your device. This is especially annoying as companies like Sony are swaying developers to make games that only work on their devices. Google has to figure this out. It's killing the user experience. I want to play Hockey Nations on my device, but I can't, because it's for the Xperia Play only...

Also, a lot of programs like to freeze and lock up. Yes that may be the app's fault, but I get a lot more of them as compared to the app's I use on iOS including the stock apps (music app like to freeze on me once in a while the music app will crash). What's funny is the Android OS is so good at detecting that sort of thing and letting you know about it. It's like Google is so used to apps not working well on their OS.

Honestly, the only thing missing from the Android is the proverbial Google Beta tag.

Conclusion

I really love this thing, but I am not in love with it because of the software issues it has and the proprietary cable. These things needs to be fixed and I have no doubt that they will be. Would I recommend this over an iPad to a normal not tech savvy person? No. To geeks like us though I would because we can deal with stuff like this and can fix things on our own, where as grandma and sister can?t. While Apple's device may not have the hardware or the openness that this thing does, it has the user experience down perfectly. Also, this thing is $100 (comparing the 16gb and 32gb models) cheaper then an iPad, which is another reason why I chose it over the said Apple device. Android tablets are getting there, but clearly the iPad is still the king.

Pros

• Solid hardware that looks great too
  • Fast
  • Great OS
  • Flash
  • Keyboard Dock
  • Screen is brilliant
  • Battery life (especially with the dock attached)
  • Light weight (half the weight of my current gen macbook and a bit lighter then my old dell mini with the keyboard dock attached)

Cons

• Flash runs like ass
  • OS lacks polish (need full hardware acceleration!)
  • App selection
  • Proprietary cable and can't buy a replacement
  • Can?t charge over USB 2
  • Headphone jack placement
  • Didn't mention it, but the volume is really low on this thing via headphones or the built in speakers, needed Voodoo Control Plus to fix that. Annoying as a heavy music listener.

I just bought one last week (no dock though) and agree with pretty much everything, except one thing.

How did you manage to play 1080p MKVs? I've yet to find a player that will even play 720p MKVs reliably, let alone 1080p. I either get choppy video, no audio, or both.

I just bought one last week (no dock though) and agree with pretty much everything, except one thing.

How did you manage to play 1080p MKVs? I've yet to find a player that will even play 720p MKVs reliably, let alone 1080p. I either get choppy video, no audio, or both.

i just threw a couple of files that I had on my PC and tested them with the default player. some files though did have no sound. That's because chances are those ones use AC3 encoding and the Transformer (or maybe honeycomb in general) doesn't support Hardware Accelerated AC3 encoding, which sucks. Programs like Plex though, which work awesome, can let you steam HD content from your PC to your Android no problem though.

Yeah, I've been using Plex for watching videos while at home and it does work wonders (although the app is a bit buggy).

I'm going on vacation next month through and the plan was to take some movies/tv shows with me :\ (Not only does Air Canada's in-flight "enRoute" video selection tend to suck, but it takes them half an hour just to get it up and running. Then when it's finally working, they pause it every 10 minutes for some random announcement.)

If you discover anything on this front, please post an update :)

P.S. I couldn't agree more about the cable. Two-freakin'-foot long proprietary cable that only works with USB3 and you can't buy any replacements. Who's brilliant ****ing idea was that? *cocks shotgun*

I'm going on vacation next month through and the plan was to take some movies/tv shows with me :\ (Not only does Air Canada's in-flight "enRoute" video selection tend to suck, but it takes them half an hour just to get it up and running. Then when it's finally working, they pause it every 10 minutes for some random announcement.)

If you discover anything on this front, please post an update :)

the only solution right now is converting them to MP4 with a program like handbrake. take a look here for a profile for handbrake that'll work great with the transformer http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?p=13411527

Great review! Did you notice any light bleed on your unit? Mine has some light bleed at the bottom center area near the charging port, a bit annoying but I can live with it because from what I've read around, most of the units have some form of light bleed and it appears to be a norm on IPS panels it seems.

Nice review! If it wasn't for the issues you mentioned (apps randomly not being compatible and all, I do not dare to say the f-word), I would be all over this thing. The pricetag, the keyboard in landscape-mode, Honeycomb... but the app-thing is such a bummer...

Is there any way do disable Flash, btw?

Great review! Did you notice any light bleed on your unit? Mine has some light bleed at the bottom center area near the charging port, a bit annoying but I can live with it because from what I've read around, most of the units have some form of light bleed and it appears to be a norm on IPS panels it seems.

yeah mine has it in the same spot too. and yeah you are right, apparently it's an IPS thing. not really that much you can do about it. it bothered me for a lil bit but i can't even notice it really anymore unless i look for it.

Surely if it uses a USB3 plug you can just buy a USB3 extension lead to make it longer?

Anyway, great review man, thanks! :D

yeah you can do that.

Nice review! If it wasn't for the issues you mentioned (apps randomly not being compatible and all, I do not dare to say the f-word), I would be all over this thing. The pricetag, the keyboard in landscape-mode, Honeycomb... but the app-thing is such a bummer...

Is there any way do disable Flash, btw?

yeah you can disable flash. just uninstall it. it doesn't come installed by default.

lol

pro: flash

con:flash

ok have fun watching those flash ads everywhere and clogging down to your useless machine. I would embed some kinda annoying flash about here, but lucky for you I can't :D

lol

ok have fun watching those flash ads everywhere.

Well, it indeed is both a pro and a con. It's great you can potentially run it if you wish so but unfortunately it seems to be running like arse.

I personally don't like flash and have it turned off because most of the time, it doesn't offer useful information or things I'd miss so I can live without it most of the time but here and there it would be great to have it available on my handset like when I want to watch South Park via the official website or something...

A powerful, affordable and stylish tablet. As for ads, if I where to buy it I'd root and run adfree.

1. There is a key to to disable / enable the trackpad; top row, fourth from the left.

2. I have plugins like Flash set to "on demand" in the browser settings; tap to activate.

3. The tablet will charge from USB but you can't be using it at the time (screen off) which is a little irritating. Still, as the cable isn't really long enough unless your connected PC is on your desk...

4. Buying the dock bundled with the tablet is far cheaper than individually. If there's the possibility you'll use it (and why not, when you can attach USB devices including keys and drives), then it is good value.

Point of note: Some (myself included) have dock problems; if the dock drains completely it might never charge again. You also can't charge the tablet when docked when this has happened. It is thought the dock never receives a "charged" signal from the tablet so continues to try to top up the tablet until it is drained. YMMV, but beware. I can still use the dock functionality but it is annoying to have to undock to recharge.

"Also the adapter itself is based on USB 3 because of the extra voltage USB 3 puts out compared to USB 2, meaning unless you have a computer with a USB 3 slots in it, you can?t charge it when plugged into the PC other..."

"Can?t charge over USB 2"

Is there any tablet that can charge on USB 2? I just figured it was simply too low voltage for any device with such a big battery and those power needs.

The iPad also can't charge over USB 2 so you have to use the charger you get with it, USB 3 charge fine though

The iPad also can't charge over USB 2 so you have to use the charger you get with it, USB 3 charge fine though

Sure the iPad can be charged over most computers USB 2 port. On the Mac, however. On Windows, the PC often times does not understand when the iPad sends the message "Yo, you can give me more power than the standart amount, so go ahead". Just for the record. ;) But you are part-right - not every computer can charge the iPad via USB 2.

"Also the adapter itself is based on USB 3 because of the extra voltage USB 3 puts out compared to USB 2, meaning unless you have a computer with a USB 3 slots in it, you can?t charge it when plugged into the PC other..."

"Can?t charge over USB 2"

Is there any tablet that can charge on USB 2? I just figured it was simply too low voltage for any device with such a big battery and those power needs.

iPads charge over USB 2.0 but I've only seen it on Macs. Apple uses ports that can provide extra current: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4049?viewlocale=en_US

If you're on a 2011 MBP, they even supply a full 10W like the AC adapter:

IjrEI.png

yeah mine has it in the same spot too. and yeah you are right, apparently it's an IPS thing. not really that much you can do about it. it bothered me for a lil bit but i can't even notice it really anymore unless i look for it.

yeah you can do that.

yeah you can disable flash. just uninstall it. it doesn't come installed by default.

well guess the light bleed issue is becoming a norm to most people, myself included. but i noticed so far no reviews that i've read mentioned about it, so i was wondering whether the unit that the reviewers had were bleed free or just that they fail to mention it? I'll be reviewing the transformer some time soon at my android blog, will let u guys know when I review it :)

Sure the iPad can be charged over most computers USB 2 port. On the Mac, however. On Windows, the PC often times does not understand when the iPad sends the message "Yo, you can give me more power than the standart amount, so go ahead". Just for the record. ;) But you are part-right - not every computer can charge the iPad via USB 2.

Oh well than :p

My old motherboard (USB2) couldn't charge it, the new one (with USB3) however charge it as fast as the adapter.

lol

ok have fun watching those flash ads everywhere and clogging down to your useless machine. I would embed some kinda annoying flash about here, but lucky for you I can't :D

you can get ad blocker software :p

1. There is a key to to disable / enable the trackpad; top row, fourth from the left.

2. I have plugins like Flash set to "on demand" in the browser settings; tap to activate.

3. The tablet will charge from USB but you can't be using it at the time (screen off) which is a little irritating. Still, as the cable isn't really long enough unless your connected PC is on your desk...

4. Buying the dock bundled with the tablet is far cheaper than individually. If there's the possibility you'll use it (and why not, when you can attach USB devices including keys and drives), then it is good value.

Point of note: Some (myself included) have dock problems; if the dock drains completely it might never charge again. You also can't charge the tablet when docked when this has happened. It is thought the dock never receives a "charged" signal from the tablet so continues to try to top up the tablet until it is drained. YMMV, but beware. I can still use the dock functionality but it is annoying to have to undock to recharge.

1. That key is useful, put I don't want to have to hit that key before and after every time i type. I want the software to figure it out. My trackpad on my macbook disables itself while typing, I would like this to do the same.

2. I run ad free, so flash ads aren't really a concern for me.

3. I thought you could do that, but it doesn't charge for me either way...

4. I couldn't find a bundle anywhere in any sort of canadian electronic store. I know a lot of european sites have them. I bought the unit for 400 and the dock for 110. I was pretty happy with that.

That true you can't charge the tablet while the dock is attached because the keyboard dock charges the tablet. If you have the charge cord hooked up to the tablet, it'll charge the dock which charges the tablet. Only downfall is that it'll take a while to charge. I have also never encountered the dock not charging issue. I know there are two versions of the dock out, the "bad" one which starts with B5 in the serial, and the "good" one that starts with B6. Luckily I have the B6 revision.

well guess the light bleed issue is becoming a norm to most people, myself included. but i noticed so far no reviews that i've read mentioned about it, so i was wondering whether the unit that the reviewers had were bleed free or just that they fail to mention it? I'll be reviewing the transformer some time soon at my android blog, will let u guys know when I review it :)

unfortunately yeah it seems that way. I was expecting it when i got it. All the iPads i have seen have the same issue too. I read that some people have gotten their eee pad's and the light bleed has been really bad to the point they returned and exchanged their machines.

How much storage space is on this thing?

You can get them with built in 16gb or 32gb. The micro SD slot on the tablet itself supports an additional 16gb via Micro SD where as the Keyboard dock as a full size SD Card adapter that'll do another 32gb.