Unlocking an iPhone 4

I know this probably has been done to death, but the search isnt working for me at the mo for some reason, and a google search doesnt really answer all my questions

Iv got an iPhone 4 with Three (UK) and im going to spain in 2 weeks for a week, i want to be able to use some of the data services out there but at ?1.25 a mb each way is a bit steep! So was thinking of using a local sim but of course the iphone is locked.

So would like it unlocked just for the week. From what iv gathered the only way to do this is to Jailbreak it. But iv heard once you've jailbroken it, while you can go back to the official iOS (how would i do that?) the changes to the baseband are permanent, so if my iphone ever breaks, my insurance maybe void if they look at the baseband info and see its been jailbroken, or if it ever needs repairing by apple they may refuse to as guessing it will void the warranty

So was just wondering if that was all true basically lol

Thanks

ok after doing a lot of reading it seems if i used redsn0w to unlock my iphone, i avoid changing the baseband, is this right? and how easy is it reversing the jailbreak and carrier unlock?

and how easy is it reversing the jailbreak and carrier unlock?

Simply restore your iPhone using iTunes and all is back to normal (99% sure of what I say here)

Wouldn't it be easier to use Gevey SIM or Rebel Micro SIM? That way you don't have to mess with the software.

unsure about using those, since they use the 112 emergency number

suppose ill just have to wait til Ultrasn0w 1.3 comes out with the baseband unlock for 04.10.01

ok after doing a lot of reading it seems if i used redsn0w to unlock my iphone, i avoid changing the baseband, is this right? and how easy is it reversing the jailbreak and carrier unlock?

redsn0w is only used to jailbreak the iPhone, it does not unlock it. and for the iPhone 4, only baseband 01.59.00 can be unlocked. if it has anything other than that, you're out of luck unless you can get your current carrier to unlock it for you

*to use redsn0w, you need to have the IPSW that matches the firmware installed on your phone

http://www.felixbruns.de/iPod/firmware/

suppose ill just have to wait til Ultrasn0w 1.3 comes out with the baseband unlock for 04.10.01

if and/or when that will come, nobody will ever know