Which hard drive is better?

Hey, I need a new hard disk and I'm currently looking at these three:

WD 500GB 3.5" SATA 6Gb/s Caviar Blue Hard Drive - 7200RPM 16MB Cache

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/241715

Samsung SpinPoint F3 500GB Hard Drive SATAII 7200rpm 16MB Cache

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/146252

Seagate 500GB 3.5" Barracuda SATA-III 6Gb/s Hard Drive - 7200RPM 16MB Cache

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/252857

I guess they are all pretty much the same just different brands, but I can't seem to find any benchmarks. Does anyone know where I can find benchmarks for these 3 drives, or what one would be the best to go for?

Also, anyone know the difference between the WD5000AAKS and the WD5000AAKX?

Cheers

eviljedi

I doubt any of those drives will have radically different speeds. If this is meant to be your system drive and you want to speed up your system, then I suggest forking up for a 10,000 RPM drive, or even an SSD. If this is for data storage, then I honestly wouldn't worry about it at all.

As for those three, I recommend WD. They are the most reliable in my experiences.

The "X" in the model number signifies it as being a 6GB/s model. "S" means it's 3GB/s. Just keep in mind that you won't notice the difference between the two standards on a mechanical drive.

Get the WD velicoraptor, it's 10k rpm.

I've got the 150GB as my main, then everything else is on my servers, but you could could another HDD or another velicoraptor. Just checked and they now do a 600GB one, okay its quite pricey but it's good, very much worth the extra money imo.

But my opinion is stick with Western Digital, i've used all users and WD is the best. At work we use different HDD's in some of our HP machines and the WD chug along, whereas seagates always seem to die.

But at the end of the day it's your choice, but if I could hint anymore, go with western digital

unless price if a huge concern i would go with a 1TB or larger hard drive as you can get 1TB (or bigger) hard drives for pretty cheap nowadays and they offer a lot more space than a 500GB.

so unless your never planning on using that space or need cheaper price possible then it's wiser to get at least a 1TB hard drive.

if your mostly concerned with storage you can get a 2TB hard drive for around $80 nowadays which is very cheap for that much space.

......whereas seagates always seem to die.

Luck of the draw which ever you go for and sometimes just bad models I've got 30910 of power-on hours out of my Seagate drives.

Thanks for the advice dudes. It's actually for my parents computer and I really don't think they need a velicoraptor or 1TB of storage. They had a 320GB WD drive that was enough for them, but it has died after 3 years. I'm thinking of going for the seagate as I've never used them before and I've had both Samsung and WD drives die now.

Go for the Western Digital. They're the most reliable from my experience as others have mentioned, and it should provide the best real life performance.