PAL F-zero too slow?

I know a guy who's a manager for a Gamestation, and he played among other games the PAL F-zero.

Being the hardcore gamer that he is, he imported the Jap version ages ago, and now claims that after playing the PAL version he can tell that it's significantly slower than the Jap version which runs at 60Hz, and the PAL version has no option to run in 60Hz mode as far as he's aware!

He went as far as to describe the version he played as 'rubbish'.

Either he wasnt playing the final build and it'll be put in as an option by the time it goes final, or it's time to buy an action replay and import :huh:

I hate to ask, but how does the refersh rate (60 Hz) have anything to do with how quickly the game plays? It's more probable that any game slow-down was intentionally created when the Japanese version was translated/ported for Western gamers....

I hate to ask, but how does the refersh rate (60 Hz) have anything to do with how quickly the game plays?? It's more probable that any game slow-down was intentionally created when the Japanese version was translated/ported for Western gamers....

hmm doesn't the game run 17.5% faster at 60hz..? i remember having this convo when Street Fighter II came out in the UK:pp

apparently the rep running the booth said 'it cost too much to put a 60hz option in aswell as a 50hz option, and not everyone has a 60hz set' :blink::

someone else suggested to me that it maybe he was playing a review build, guess we'll just have to wait for the final build review, let's hope NoE don't screw the PAL conversion

I know a guy who's a manager for a Gamestation, and he played among other games the PAL F-zero.

Being the hardcore gamer that he is, he imported the Jap version ages ago, and now claims that after playing the PAL version he can tell that it's significantly slower than the Jap version which runs at 60Hz, and the PAL version has no option to run in 60Hz mode as far as he's aware!

He went as far as to describe the version he played as 'rubbish'.

Either he wasnt playing the final build and it'll be put in as an option by the time it goes final, or it's time to buy an action replay and import :huh:

:(

all i know is that the North American version of Fzero is EXTREMELY fast. its really the speed that makes the game difficult. very much a twitch game. and its hard :|

The Pal version is indeed ******, there's no 60Hz options afaik. It's just optimised PAL which if done right is better, but in this case it supposedly isn't. NoE can bite me...

The Pal version is indeed ******, there's no 60Hz options afaik. It's just optimised PAL which if done fight is better, but in this case it supposedly isn't. NoE can bite me...

no way...i was hoping that it was a load of bull :(

how did u find that out btw dazzla, i got a guy in a cube-europe forum whos ripping the **** outta me for even suggesting it

I've read it on a few forums, I dunno whether to believe it or not. I mean Super Monkey Ball had a 60Hz mode and it's the same developers. I guess we'll just have to wait.

I'd have to buy a whole new tv if it was designed for 60hz mode only.

I hope to god it's not slower than its other counterparts :no:

99% of games in 50Hz mode are slower than their 60Hz counterparts.

I am sure they are.

But I don't particularly want to shell out for a new tv atm, when I only got the current one recently.

Yup its the old TV standard speed problems again.

NTSC being 60Hz and PAL being 50Hz is why the speed reduction occurs. The difference in speed is 17.5% as it has always been. It was very noticable on NES, SNES and N64. Nwo it seems that teh occasional game on GC still seem to be affected.

With no option to switch it to 60Hz to gain full speed, This title will be a waste of time for PAL GC owners.

Sell your PAL GC's now and buy a USA NTSC import machine and buy F-Zero GX (USA).

Stop the madness now! BUY NTSC, say no to PAL crap! get full screen and full speed. Get releases 6 months before Europe! Get extra bonus disks!

You know it makes sense! Make the change now!

NTSC being 60Hz and PAL being 50Hz is why the speed reduction occurs. The difference in speed is 17.5% as it has always been. It was very noticable on NES, SNES and N64. Nwo it seems that teh occasional game on GC still seem to be affected.

With no option to switch it to 60Hz to gain full speed, This title will be a waste of time for PAL GC owners.

Sell your PAL GC's now and buy a USA NTSC import machine and buy F-Zero GX (USA).

Stop the madness now! BUY NTSC, say no to PAL crap! get full screen and full speed. Get releases 6 months before Europe! Get extra bonus disks!

indeed, we have been looked over far to long by. Nintendo europe should be shot ! :angry:

Well people with a tv that doesn't support 60Hz wouldn't be able to use an import console, and a lot of games now, whilst only supporting 50Hz still run at 60fps.

No, that is not correct a freeloader will run the imported game at 60hz, if the tv is equiped to handle the NTSC 60hz signal and you buy extra cable- so if tv can handle imported cube it can play imported f zero at 60hz. Anyhow the PAL version will mostly likely have 60hz option which you can utilize if you buy extra cable.

I play US Soul Caliber 2 on my PAL cube , full picture no borders and at 60hz- so if youre sure your tv can handle 60hz buy cable and freeloader or better action reply and away you go.

Most modern tv can handel 60hz ntsc signal, I know sonys do.

Edited by fatherted

Component or RGB as its known doesnt rely on any TV standard. Therefore if your TV is RGB capable an IMPORT NTSC machine is your best bet.

I dont understand some of you still hanging onto your PAL GC's! NOE is diabolical! Make the change now!

Forget Freeloader! Upgrade your TV when you can afford to do so.

Make sure it has teh following:-

MUST be Widescreen 16:9

100Hz refresh

Progressive scan mode

4-5 inputs (2 RGB component inputs 1 RCA and 1 SCART)

NTSC 4:43 and 3:58 compatible

PAL 60Hz capable too

Suggestion: TOSHIBA 36" 36ZP38 or TOSHIBA 32" 32ZP38

For full specs and pics try here: http://www.pictureframe2.net