Two 360's+Same Network=NAT Issues

Ok guys, I have two 360's connected on the same router via Ethernet. When I use both consoles at the same time such as playing Call of Duty or even if one is on Netflix/Hulu and the other is playing a game the first console that is turned on will have a open NAT, the second console will connect with a moderate NAT. I have hunted all over trying to find a solution to this problem from assigning ip addresses to each console with the necessary ports forward to enabling UPnP and nothing seems to work. I have a Ubee DDW3611 DOCSIS 3.0 provided by my ISP. Any help would be much appreciated as this is extremely frustrating :blush:

Here is the link to the modem info: http://www.ubeeinteractive.com/index.php/products/product-overview/docsis_3.0_wireless_cable_modem_gateway/

how about DMZ one of them?

I have tried that as well, everything I have tried just fails and I really don't understand why. :blink:

I'm no expert, but as far as I know, you can't have two different machines communicating through the same port at the same time. One of them gets the open port(s), and the other one doesn't. That's simply the way networking/NAT works.

I'm no expert, but as far as I know, you can't have two different machines communicating through the same port at the same time. One of them gets the open port(s), and the other one doesn't. That's simply the way networking/NAT works.

That's not correct.

As for the issue at hand, I'm not sure what would cause it, I've never had this problem even using three xboxes on the same

network, just make sure UPnP is enabled, you may have to put the modem into bridge mode or whatever they call it

and get another router.

Unfortunatly what you're trying to do is impossible.

XBox live is hardcoded to use port 3074. If you enable port forwarding it can only forward to one IP [one XBox] so that XBox will always be open and the other moderate. If you use uPNP it'll just hand 3074 inbound to the first console that asks for it.

http://jakebillo.com/two-xboxes-one-router-making-upnp-work-using-dd-wrt-or-tomato

This guy posting supports my theory that the modem-router combo is just crappy

His posting gives some good ideas on how to get it to work, as to whether your modem-router will support it, that's another question.

Thanks guys, I will give this a shot and see what happens. Very frustrating but I guess it might be something I have to live with.

I have never had to do this, but from everything I read it will work with 2 or more if your router supports UPnP correctly where the devices will look for different ports to use. I have seen many threads on this -- many people say it works. But it comes down to the feature set of your routers UPnP support.

I don't know of any way to hard code the different boxes to use different ports that you would manually forward. Generally speaking, many online games do not support multiple devices from behind the same nat to join the same game, access the same service, etc.

That's not correct.

Actually, that's entirely correct.

Two systems cannot use the same port on the same LAN. That's why systems support initial connections via port X then offload the connection to port Y.

Thanks guys, I will give this a shot and see what happens. Very frustrating but I guess it might be something I have to live with.

You can run 2 XBox's on live at the same time.

I have never had to do this, but from everything I read it will work with 2 or more if your router supports UPnP correctly where the devices will look for different ports to use. I have seen many threads on this -- many people say it works. But it comes down to the feature set of your routers UPnP support.

I don't know of any way to hard code the different boxes to use different ports that you would manually forward. Generally speaking, many online games do not support multiple devices from behind the same nat to join the same game, access the same service, etc.

uPNP should allow for ports redirects and should handle it automatically tbh.

I'd be inclined to suggest the modem isn't handling the upnp connections correctly. It's not exactly uncommon for router software to fail at this..

I ran 6 XBox 360's onto live on a single network. It's doable :)

According to this KB article, you should just be able to connect them both and they should work.

And yes, they can use the same port number as long as they have different IP addresses. All your web browsers use port 80... :p

uPNP should allow for ports redirects and should handle it automatically tbh.

I'd be inclined to suggest the modem isn't handling the upnp connections correctly. It's not exactly uncommon for router software to fail at this..

I ran 6 XBox 360's onto live on a single network. It's doable :)

Some routers are not designed to understand devices trying to use the same uPNP ports. Gaming routers see that multiple devices are trying to use the same uPNP ports and open a different set of ports for that other device. Not all routers support this. Get a gaming router or a router that supports this. You had a router/firmware that supported that, congradulations that you did and didn't have this issue out of the box...some people do because they are using routers older than 5 years or a low end router.

According to this KB article, you should just be able to connect them both and they should work.

And yes, they can use the same port number as long as they have different IP addresses. All your web browsers use port 80... :p

Indeed, and then the webserver redirects the connection to a different port and starts serving data over it >.< Port 80 is for the initial request. As of HTTP1.1 (I think >.>) HTTP supports multiple simultaneous connections called "Asynchronous Get". Multi-threading for your socket handler :p

Some routers are not designed to understand devices trying to use the same uPNP ports. Gaming routers see that multiple devices are trying to use the same uPNP ports and open a use a different set of ports for that other device. Not all routers support this. Get a gaming router or a router that supports this. You had a router/firmware that supported that, congradulations that you did and didn't have this issue out of the box...some people do because they are using routers older than 5 years or a really low end router.

Yes, that's exactly what I was trying to say.

It's nothing to do with gaming btw, it's just a poor deployment of the upnp standard, or an old one, I'm not sure which because companies rarely publish such information about their routers.

My point was however that it was likely a router problem >.<

Not sure if your reply was meant to be narky or I'm just being a girl tonight >.>

Right outgoing uses the same port....it is the incoming. When you play a game you connect to the outside (you initiate the call). When you host a game people connect to you (they initiate the call).

When you host multiple web servers on your network (they all use port 80 too) can they all allow people to see every website they are hosting? No.

Some routers are not designed to understand devices trying to use the same uPNP ports. Gaming routers see that multiple devices are trying to use the same uPNP ports and open a use a different set of ports for that other device. Not all routers support this. Get a gaming router or a router that supports this. You had a router/firmware that supported that, congradulations that you did and didn't have this issue out of the box...some people do because they are using routers older than 5 years or a low end router.

+1

I bought a Linksys gaming router and my 2 Xbox on the same LAN issues went away.

Indeed, and then the webserver redirects the connection to a different port and starts serving data over it >.< Port 80 is for the initial request. As of HTTP1.1 (I think >.>) HTTP supports multiple simultaneous connections called "Asynchronous Get". Multi-threading for your socket handler :p

Yes, that's exactly what I was trying to say.

It's nothing to do with gaming btw, it's just a poor deployment of the upnp standard, or an old one, I'm not sure which because companies rarely publish such information about their routers.

My point was however that it was likely a router problem >.<

Not sure if your reply was meant to be narky or I'm just being a girl tonight >.>

You didnt make it very clear that it was hardware that was the issue, you said that uPNP should do it. There is a difference between uPNP should and a hardware issue.

You didnt make it very clear that it was hardware that was the issue, you said that uPNP should do it. There is a difference between uPNP should and a hardware issue.

"I'd be inclined to suggest the modem isn't handling the upnp connections correctly. It's not exactly uncommon for router software to fail at this.."

Fair enough.