Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Sigma 50mm 1.4 EX DG HSM

11 posts in this topic

Posted

[img]http://robbiekhan.co.uk/root/photos/stuff-cam/canonsigmanikon.jpg[/img]

Hey everyone,

I've had this lens a week~ now and feel I have used it enough to post a review on it and say a few words on whether it is worth the extra cash (

Posted

What camera do you use it on? A FF or a crop? Because if you're recommending the 50mm Sigma on a FF, you should also mention their 30mm F1.4 lens, which gives the same effective focal length on a crop.

Personally, I'd find 50mm on a crop, i.e. 80mm effective, pretty limiting and annoying.

Posted

I'm on a Canon 1.6x body so yes it's 80mm but it's a perfect lens for portrait photography which is exactly the reason many people get one on a crop body too.

Posted

[quote name='Superluminal' timestamp='1310895390' post='594166176']
What camera do you use it on? A FF or a crop? Because if you're recommending the 50mm Sigma on a FF, you should also mention their 30mm F1.4 lens, which gives the same effective focal length on a crop.

Personally, I'd find 50mm on a crop, i.e. 80mm effective, pretty limiting and annoying.
[/quote]

Agreed with that, 50mm on a crop is always a bit odd for me, but now I'm on an FF, and this Sigma is delicious, I love this lens. Also agree with regards to the 30mm counter part, I had that lens previously when I had my 7D, it was great as well, damn light compared to the 50mm, but produced excellent IQ and bokeh as well.

All in all, the 30mm and 50mm f1.4's from sigma, are the champion primes for the bang for buck.

I guess one of my only down falls with the 50mm is poor QA, mine has a slight back focussing issue, but luckily a bit of micro-adjustment on the camera did it for me, but for people who are on bodies that don't allow micro-adjustment, it's a PIA to bring it back to a sigma dealer to have it recalibrated.

Posted

Sigma's QC is hit and miss yeah but luckily I've not encountered a problem although I do have a Sigma dealer local so the 3 years warranty will be well covered.

Posted

Wouldn't it be better compared to the similarly priced Canon 50mm f/1.4? :s

Posted

[quote name='richardsim7' timestamp='1310902301' post='594166302']
Wouldn't it be better compared to the similarly priced Canon 50mm f/1.4? :s
[/quote]

I guess that its compared to that one because that's what he has :p

Posted

I only have the 1.8 to compare to at the moment although the image quality improvements are still the same because the Canon 50mm 1.4 and 1.8 mkII lenses have comparable image quality. Slight difference in bokeh smoothness but IQ/Flaring and CA are almost the same.

The Sigma is better than them both.

There isn't really a comparable price 50mm to the Sigma either. The Canon 1.4 is

Posted

Hmm this has me intrigued. I've been meaning to get a 50mm for my 7D (but not sure if I want 35mm because of the crop factor) but I guess the 50mm could be used as a portait lens... :)

Posted

Don't let the crop put you off because you won't have to get a 50 down the line when you go full frame either and then sell the 30 or 35 :)

I use the 50 exclusively for portraits and closeups where I want that creamy bokeh!

Posted

Found it for