How do I locate my Army Basic Training Drill Sergeant?

I went to Fort Benning, GA for basic training and AIT. For those of you that have been in the Army this question is for you. I never had the chance to thank him for what he did for me. I moved away to my duty station right after I graduated. All I know is his last name and his age. He told his age because it was his birthday when we almost graduated. I hope someone here can help me out with this. Thank you.

This might help soldier. I worked on a virtual recruiter for goarmy.com out of Ft. Knox and I can tell you if you go to goarmy.com and find Sgt. STAR - their pop-up virtual recruiter, you can get into a live chat with real recruit staff right there at USAAC. I would wager that one of those fine folks might be able to direct you to the proper chain or maybe even send word forward for you. It's worth a shot. Other than that you might have to try and get word through to the training ranks there at Benning.

Best of luck soldier! Hooah!

Most soldiers have a Facebook account. But most drill sergeants won't associate with privates until after they get out of TRADOC. Assuming you did OSUT at Benning and you're an 11B. He already knows that he made a difference. I used to train soldiers as a civilian contractor on Fort Benning.

Another thing to keep in mind, is like stated above, he already knows he made a difference. This coming from a NCO, it is awesome seeing a kid grow up in the military become knowledgable and then using his knowledge when it's needed. Also, most NCO's seperate themselves from lower enlisted to keep that professional level, but, there are a few soldiers that know work is work, play is play. When I got to my first duty station, my squad leader and I would hang out all the time because I knew at work he is my superior and even when he told me not to address him by his rank on off duty hours I did so to keep that professionalism.

• 2 months later...

Hopefully I can get help from people here. My computer just died and I have to get a new one anyways. It's seven years old now. A old laptop. Also my friend's computer just got stolen from him. I am typing this from my city library. I was wondering if someone here can help me search for him. He was a Staff Sergeant in basic training. He trained me at Fort Benning. His last name is Woodward and he told me his age at the time. He should be 48 or 49 years old by now. I was ready to register with AKO but couldn't because no computer available. I hope someone here can help me with this. Thank you.

You don't have an AKO account yet? You've been in the military for how long? As your team leader to help you out, because on the results alone for "Woodward" there are 15+ SSG people, how do you know he didn't pick up E7 yet?

I ran into one of my Drills about 2 years after basic, we chatted a bit, and he went on with his career, was weird at first because of course he didn't remember me, I was not always in trouble or always doing the "right" thing.

I ran into one of my Drills about 2 years after basic, we chatted a bit, and he went on with his career, was weird at first because of course he didn't remember me, I was not always in trouble or always doing the "right" thing.

I met mine back in air assault school around 3yrs after OSUT. He remembered me, and I remembered him, getting smoked like crazy and what not as a company size element.

• Eric locked this topic