• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#16 +Frank B.

Frank B.

Member N° 1,302

• 23,328 posts
  • Phone: Sony Xperia Z2

Posted 15 July 2011 - 17:57

but im only using de inglish skillz i lrnd in skewl.
plz, no hate.

dnt c y.

Argh. Stop or I'm going to ask the Regular Ordinary Swedish Mealtime guy to feed you mayonnaise until you burst.

#17 +da00

da00

Kappa

• 1,640 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 1020

Posted 15 July 2011 - 17:58

Mmmm.. Mayonnaise..

Is it Man-Mayo, Meph?

Id gladly take the 8 hour train ride up to them for that ;D

#18 Detection

Detection

Detecting stuff...

• 8,369 posts

Posted 15 July 2011 - 17:59

Considering the majority of text applications have the ability to spell check, there really is no excuse for spelling mistakes, especially when they are underlined in red

#19 Solid Knight

Solid Knight

Neowinian Senior

• 5,140 posts

Posted 15 July 2011 - 18:00

We communicate in textual form more than we ever have before and it exposes people's poor writing skills (or inattentiveness). I know a lot of people like to blame the younger generation but the reality is that the older generations (middle-aged and older) can't type, spell, or write worth a damn either.

#20 Charisma

Charisma

e-1337-ist

• 4,545 posts

Posted 15 July 2011 - 18:05

Relying on spell-check is still being lazy, though. That's why we have brains!! Besides, it's not always just spelling errors alone. One example I saw just the other day is on uniqueskins.com, where I was browsing for pretty skins for my phone. They had a page full of mistakes--words that were spelled correctly, but weren't the correct word. My favourite was the bit where they said "Before a new device is released to the public we put it through several testes to insure the skin will not effect the functionality of your device in any way." :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

#21 +Frank B.

Frank B.

Member N° 1,302

• 23,328 posts
  • Phone: Sony Xperia Z2

Posted 15 July 2011 - 18:08

Relying on spell-check is still being lazy, though. That's why we have brains!! Besides, it's not always just spelling errors alone. One example I saw just the other day is on uniqueskins.com, where I was browsing for pretty skins for my phone. They had a page full of mistakes--words that were spelled correctly, but weren't the correct word. My favourite was the bit where they said "Before a new device is released to the public we put it through several testes to insure the skin will not effect the functionality of your device in any way." :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

What a great example of Engrish.

#22 Charisma

Charisma

e-1337-ist

• 4,545 posts

Posted 15 July 2011 - 18:13

What a great example of Engrish.

Eh, I don't know if that's what it was. There were a LOT of errors just like that, where the wrong word was used or it was spelled wrong. The grammar doesn't come off as coming from someone with limited English skills. Mostly just looked like typos that weren't caught since they also made legit words (testes=tests, prefect=perfect) and then instances of using the wrong version of a word (insure=ensure, effect=affect). In other words, the kinds of mistakes people who are either lazy, uneducated, or just apathetic make all the time, even in their native language.

#23 jakem1

jakem1

Neowinian Senior

• 6,519 posts

Posted 15 July 2011 - 18:27

Yes, it's bad enough when you people don't take the time to correct mistakes in forum posts but really unacceptable on commercial or government websites.

I just came across this one on the Australian High Commission's passport renewal page:

the passport your are replacing

Unfortunately I don't have the option to boycott them because they have a bit of a monopoly in the legitimate Australian passport market :laugh:

#24 YounGMessiah

YounGMessiah

"individual magnets"

• 2,192 posts
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy S3

Posted 15 July 2011 - 18:30

I don't mind typos, but blatant spelling errors and poor grammar push me away from most sites.

This ^

#25 @Leo

@Leo

Under Derp Patrol

• 606 posts
  • Phone: iPhone 4S

Posted 15 July 2011 - 18:46

So many retards from the UK type like complete twats... How many times have we seen the chavs type "there" for "their" or "should of" instead of "should have"? :whistle:

#26 OP Hum

Hum

totally wAcKed

• 62,542 posts

Posted 15 July 2011 - 21:00

I sometimes find errors on News sites.

Thank god for dictionary.com :laugh:

#27 7Dash8

7Dash8

Veritas Aequitas

• 597 posts

Posted 16 July 2011 - 02:44

Mr Duncombe says when recruiting staff he has been "shocked at the poor quality of written English".

I can vouch for this. Trying to find any staff who can write letters and emails to clients without making a dozen embarrassing grammar and spelling mistakes is almost impossible. I don't know what kids are learning in school, but it sure as hell isn't what I learned. Maybe they're picking up valuable social skills - like how to text and talk at the same time - instead of learning the fundamentals of the language?

#28 Marshall

Marshall

▇ ▂ ▃ ▁ ▁ ▅

• 12,614 posts

Posted 16 July 2011 - 02:57

Even more reason for the grammar Nazi's to come out and contribute more. I tend to correct people as well, which people take offense to.

I may correct people, but I'm not perfect by any means, so when someone corrects my typing, I reply with a 'Thank You'. I genuinely express my gratitude because hopefully it will keep me from making the same mistake in the future. :)

#29 7Dash8

7Dash8

Veritas Aequitas

• 597 posts

Posted 16 July 2011 - 03:24

If people are at the point where they can't tell the difference between "to" and "too", "you're" and "your", or "there" and "their" or "they're", then I don't think correcting them is going to teach them much. These sort of things need to learned in school over a period of time, not corrected on a case-by-case basis on a forum.

Also, as you've just said, you'll simply get abused if you try to correct grammar or spelling on a forum. Nothing worse than fixing someone's horrendous English only to have them say "omg your retarted" back to you!

#30 Tech Star

Tech Star

Neowinian Senior

• 10,547 posts

Posted 16 July 2011 - 03:35

It's called spell check. If you can't be bothered to do that, then I won't be bothered to buy your item.