Installing Clean OSX Lion from a DVD or USB stick

Thats because they dont need it.

That's an opinion, not a fact. I should be allowed to reinstall Lion whenever I please, even when I don't have access to the internet. Plus, not everyone has fast broadband to download 3.5GB every single time they want to reinstall Lion.

If my Lion installation craps out on me in a middle of a very important project I should be able to reinstall on the spot. Not wait 3 hours for the image to download.

• 2 weeks later...
That's an opinion, not a fact. I should be allowed to reinstall Lion whenever I please, even when I don't have access to the internet. Plus, not everyone has fast broadband to download 3.5GB every single time they want to reinstall Lion.

If my Lion installation craps out on me in a middle of a very important project I should be able to reinstall on the spot. Not wait 3 hours for the image to download.

IIRC The MacBook Air along with the Mac-mini rely on a special build of Mac OS X so it'll require a special build to be loaded onto a thumb drive - have you tried contacting your local Apple Store to see if they can offer some sort of solution?

does macbook air or any models for that matter have the ability to pop disk/usb stick into windows pc then install over wifi like there was with SL ?

does macbook air or any models for that matter have the ability to pop disk/usb stick into windows pc then install over wifi like there was with SL ?

I think that feature only works for optical drives, not USB, which makes it irrelevant for OS X Lion. Not entirely sure though.

Remote Disk is only for optical discs (and yes, it still exists). USB drives are shareable through File Sharing, so there's no need to have a separate function like Remote Disk.

I thought it "just worked"

God, I'm getting frustrated with the trolls on these forums.

We're talking about an operating system installation here. This is something that the average joe shouldn't have to deal with in the first place, and even if they did, do you think the average joe would have thought to clone their Lion installer to a USB key? Give me a break.

I don't know for sure if it's blocked for one reason or another, or if it was just a fluke, but if you aren't tech savvy and your hard drive goes kaput while you have no internet access to automatically re-download the OS, you should probably waltz your way over to an Apple Store and have one of the employees there take care of you.

God, I'm getting frustrated with the trolls on these forums.

We're talking about an operating system installation here. This is something that the average joe shouldn't have to deal with in the first place, and even if they did, do you think the average joe would have thought to clone their Lion installer to a USB key? Give me a break.

I don't know for sure if it's blocked for one reason or another, or if it was just a fluke, but if you aren't tech savvy and your hard drive goes kaput while you have no internet access to automatically re-download the OS, you should probably waltz your way over to an Apple Store and have one of the employees there take care of you.

Don't call me a troll for pointing out the deceptive practices in Apple's marketing.

I had six hard drive failures when I had a Mac. I'm not sure if that's just bad luck or if it's because of the way the Mac is designed. Aside from having to buy new drives and wasting time reinstalling everything/restoring from backups, it wasn't too big of a deal since I had the installation DVDs. Keep in mind that not everyone can just "waltz" over to an Apple store. When Apple wanted me to drive across town to an Apple store and haul a 50 pound computer through the mall just to get a bluetooth module installed (by appointment), I figured it was time to get a PC.

I'm happy with the choice I made. Windows 7 is far, far superior to anything Apple would have you believe about the competition.

I think I did something wrong in the first post... when I restarted and held ALT... I selected the USB stick labeled "max OSX install ESD", but then it gave me like a "no access" symbol where the apple symbol usually is?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

that really depends

if you have one of those internet enabled macs highly doubt it

but a usb stick or dvd with the lion installer on it allow you to do a full reinstall rather then an upgrade also it nice to have incase of a hard disk crash or if you don't want to keep wasting bandwidth every time you want to do a reinstall

Too bad this soesnt work for osx86 yet.

Follow that guide, then install the latest Chimera on the USB drive, boot, install, then boot again but choose your new installed Lion partition, install Chimera on it and done!

Did it like 4 times already ;)

• 3 weeks later...
For those that have already upgraded to Lion and had the installer removed from their system, you can redownload it. Option+Click on the "Purchases" tab in the MAS (and keep holding Option until the page is loaded). That should enable the "Install" button next to OS X Lion.

I just did this and it shows that it's downloading. Where is it downloading? I don't see it in downloads or desktop.

• 3 months later...

Anyone know if I got the DMG file on my PC how to burn it on a disc? I think I have been stupid when installing my new HDD.

• 3 months later...

Hi,

This is working perfectly.

I have installed an SSD to replace the 320GB 5400RPM, I installed osx lion.

The thing is that when I received my laptop, it came with iMovie, iDVD, iPhoto, etc... Is there anyway to burn these application to a DVD or add them to the install of Lion?

Thank you!