iOS Jailbreakers Crack 4.3.4, iPad 2 Users Left Hanging

SOURCE

Tell us if you saw this one coming from a mile away. Apple's latest iOS firmware update, which patched the operating system to version 4.3.4 in an attempt to plug a jailbreaking loophole unveiled earlier this month, has itself been jailbroken.

The hack comes all of a few days after the release of 4.3.4, but it's currently restricted to tethered jailbreaks only?a browser-based jailbreak has yet to be unveiled for the new iOS version.

The backstory goes something like this: In July, three iPhone hackers released an updated version of a website called JailbreakMe that did exactly that for owners of every iOS device on the market. That list, for the first time, included Apple's iPad 2?a tablet that previously proved impossible for jailbreakers to touch due to the lack of available bootrom exploits for the device's A5 chip.

The web-based jailbreak simply required users to hit up the site on their iOS-based device. An exploit in the way iOS renders PDF files would open up the keys to the digital kingdom for a user's device, jailbreaking the handheld or tablet and automatically installing the third-party app store Cydia. Easy as pie.

Apple responded by plugging the loophole in its 4.3.4 update to iOS (issued on July 15). While jailbreakers have yet to update the Web-based tool with a new exploit that allows for browser-based jailbreaking, they've nevertheless updated their tethered jailbreak tools to work with Apple's latest patch. So long as a user doesn't mind going about an iOS jailbreak "the old-fashioned way," one can use both redsn0w and PwnageTool to jailbreak most updated iOS devices.

Why "most?" Like before, the tethered jailbreak doesn't work for the iPad 2. Aspiring jailbreakers are warned to stay away from the iOS 4.3.4 update at all costs: Once Apple closes the signing window for its firmware, iPad 2 users that upgraded to 4.3.4 will be unable to downgrade back to 4.3.3. And they'll lose the ability to jailbreak their devices until the next round of Apple cat and jailbreaker mouse spins up.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It was proven over a year ago in a court of law that Jailbreaking an iPhone is not a crime so why can't Apple get over it and simply let people do whatever they want with their iPhones, iPads, iTouch devices? Seriously, they need to stop trying to control everything. You paid $400 - $600 for your iPhone or iPad, maybe even more, and these ******** at Apple want to control and tell you how you can use it?

The update was to fix a PDF exploit. If they didn't fix it they would be getting slammed aswell, its the same exploit that is used by jailbreakers, unlike you two, I own a iOS device and would rather then fix the exploit.

It was proven over a year ago in a court of law that Jailbreaking an iPhone is not a crime so why can't Apple get over it and simply let people do whatever they want with their iPhones, iPads, iTouch devices? Seriously, they need to stop trying to control everything. You paid $400 - $600 for your iPhone or iPad, maybe even more, and these ******** at Apple want to control and tell you how you can use it?

Because no company in their right mind is going to support something like this. Not to mention the fact Jailbreaking is in many cases just used to pirate apps, with the whole "freedom of choice" thing being thrown up as a smokescreen. Apple released this thing to address the PDF exploit the Jailbreak relied on. If the company didn't fix that people would be bitching and moaning about poor security on iOS.

And "iTouch", seriously? It's called an iPod touch.

So Apple fixes a potentially harmful security hole that, as it so happens, also is a way to jailbreak your device and people are all up in arms because TEH EVIL APPLZ TRY TO PREVENT THE JAILBREAKZ!!

Get over yourselves... also, what's the big deal? 4.3.4 is jailbroken so... well... problem solved.

Also, .Neo is right, in many, many cases, jailbreaking is simply used to pirate apps which is to be prevented. By Apple, because they make money with apps and because of the developers, that put time and often times love and passion into making their apps. And for quality, you should pay.

Because no company in their right mind is going to support something like this. Not to mention the fact Jailbreaking is in many cases just used to pirate apps, with the whole "freedom of choice" thing being thrown up as a smokescreen. Apple released this thing to address the PDF exploit the Jailbreak relied on. If the company didn't fix that people would be bitching and moaning about poor security on iOS.

And "iTouch", seriously? It's called an iPod touch.

iTouch, iPod...whatever Mr. Perfect, you get the point.

iTouch, iPod...whatever Mr. Perfect, you get the point.

If you have the time to write down a rant like that those additional three letters aren't going to kill you. Gives your story a bit more credibility.

If you have the time to write down a rant like that those additional three letters aren't going to kill you. Gives your story a bit more credibility.

1. I don't think you are stupid so if I make a typing mistake you can pretty much figure out what it is I was trying to say.

2. Take a chill pill and get some rest. You've been working too much guarding the Neowin Forum.

3. I'm not perfect and neither are you.

4. I was not "ranting", I was saying what I think of Apple and their total control of everything campaign.

Just because I don't agree with Apple's idea of a perfect little world were they have to control everything you do with their devices doesn't mean I endorse piracy in any way, shape or form. While I perfectly understand why they patch their OS, I also understand that they can do that without blocking the user from customizing their devices any way they choose. They simply have no right to tell iPhone owners what they can or cannot put on their phones or how their phones should look like. If someone wants to customize their phone icons, the way the phone acts or behaves, that is their problem and not Apple's. As long as the user is not breaking any laws they should be able to do with their phones as they please.

Well first, I don't think your iTouch was a typing mistake. ;)

But you know what? I do have a solution for ya! Get an Android phone. :) If you don't like the Apple way of handling things with iOS and their devices, there is not much you can do, you know... except of course for jailbreaking, which is not illegal but still Apple has the right to prevent users from doing something that might potentially harm the system and could support piracy. Jailbreaks are based on system flaws, bugs and security holes that not only make jailbreaking possible but could potentially open doors for phishing, virusses or general hacking that might cause harm to the user. Apple simply can't do anything else but fix these holes despite jailbreaking being legal because those holes are dangerous. Simple as that.

Now, Apple doesn't allow fancy customization but that's their choice of designing the system. That way has it's disadvantages but it makes things simpler generally, easier to use and simpler to maintain. For Apple and the end user. So... if you prefer different icons or crazy widgets or another way of multitasking, feel free to either jailbreak or get an Android. I really don't see a problem here. But I never saw the need to fight about what phone one choses to use anyways, so... whatever.

You can always jailbreak, no matter what Apple does, there always is a way. So you take a chill pill, dude.

SOURCE

Tell us if you saw this one coming from a mile away. Apple's latest iOS firmware update, which patched the operating system to version 4.3.4 in an attempt to plug a jailbreaking loophole unveiled earlier this month, has itself been jailbroken.

The hack comes all of a few days after the release of 4.3.4, but it's currently restricted to tethered jailbreaks only?a browser-based jailbreak has yet to be unveiled for the new iOS version.

The backstory goes something like this: In July, three iPhone hackers released an updated version of a website called JailbreakMe that did exactly that for owners of every iOS device on the market. That list, for the first time, included Apple's iPad 2?a tablet that previously proved impossible for jailbreakers to touch due to the lack of available bootrom exploits for the device's A5 chip.

The web-based jailbreak simply required users to hit up the site on their iOS-based device. An exploit in the way iOS renders PDF files would open up the keys to the digital kingdom for a user's device, jailbreaking the handheld or tablet and automatically installing the third-party app store Cydia. Easy as pie.

Apple responded by plugging the loophole in its 4.3.4 update to iOS (issued on July 15). While jailbreakers have yet to update the Web-based tool with a new exploit that allows for browser-based jailbreaking, they've nevertheless updated their tethered jailbreak tools to work with Apple's latest patch. So long as a user doesn't mind going about an iOS jailbreak "the old-fashioned way," one can use both redsn0w and PwnageTool to jailbreak most updated iOS devices.

Why "most?" Like before, the tethered jailbreak doesn't work for the iPad 2. Aspiring jailbreakers are warned to stay away from the iOS 4.3.4 update at all costs: Once Apple closes the signing window for its firmware, iPad 2 users that upgraded to 4.3.4 will be unable to downgrade back to 4.3.3. And they'll lose the ability to jailbreak their devices until the next round of Apple cat and jailbreaker mouse spins up.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Can you at least be informed about your rant before you do it?

It was never proven "in a court of law" that jailbreaking is legal. The Library of Congress made an exemption to the DMCA that allowed the jailbreaking of phones.

However, that does not mean Apple either needs to support it or allow it or not try to stop it.

Apple has many business reasons to fight jailbreaking and they will keep doing it. The whole point of Apple is they give you a controlled environment to use your phone. If people don't like it, they can either not update their firmware or get something else.

Apple has been using this as their successful business model since the beginning. It's their business model; get over it.

no?

the jailbreakers released a patch weeks and weeks ago that fixed the pdf exploit. If apple cared about their users that much they would've released a patch ASAP.

Most apps in Cydia are paid. The point isnt to pirate, its to open your device and use it the way you want to use it, such as to customize it with themes, and the ability to unlock many features, such as carriers you can use it on, facetime over 3g, and so on.

Apple prevents many legit apps from getting approved in the app tune due to their silly claims of duplicating existing features, such as a browser.

I jailbroke my phone so i could use PDAnet which itself is a paid app.

Apparently you haven't ever checked out cydia, and have no idea what you're talking about. you're assuming, and wrong.

Don't know if I am stating the obvious, but some people may want to get the PDF patch without jailbreaking...

no?

the jailbreakers released a patch weeks and weeks ago that fixed the pdf exploit. If apple cared about their users that much they would've released a patch ASAP.

Most apps in Cydia are paid. The point isnt to pirate, its to open your device and use it the way you want to use it, such as to customize it with themes, and the ability to unlock many features, such as carriers you can use it on, facetime over 3g, and so on.

Apple prevents many legit apps from getting approved in the app tune due to their silly claims of duplicating existing features, such as a browser.

I jailbroke my phone so i could use PDAnet which itself is a paid app.

Apparently you haven't ever checked out cydia, and have no idea what you're talking about. you're assuming, and wrong.

Oh up until iOS 4 I was a jailbreaker myself. Just for the record.

Pirating was not my main point. But it is a huge reason to jailbreak for many people out there. The ones that don't care about PDAnet or something. The ones that did a Google search on "cracked ipa" and found out about installous.

I am in favor of jailbreaking, don't get me wrong. I just think Apple has every right to patch security holes. If those holes made jailbreaking possible, it's not their fault. The community will find a way to jailbreak again so... problem solved.

• 2 weeks later...

Hmm let's see. Either Apple patches the holes to block jailbreaking, which is also legitimately a security fix, or they let it fly and allow iOS to be unsecure and at the same time lose money from pirating. That's clearly a tough choice...

I don't see why people are so sour about Apple running their business correctly.