Google+ for iOS released

how about you talk about an app and how it runs on an OS that isn't beta...

Fine, you're right. I'll reserve judgement on it's stability until iOS 5 is GM.

Can I still talk about the ugly UI though?

There are quite a few apps that still don't work correctly on iOS 5. Safari is one of them. Can't hold it against anyone yet.

Safari has some quirks, but I haven't seen it have an easily reproducible crasher.

Fine, you're right. I'll reserve judgement until iOS 5 is out of beta.

Safari has some quirks, but I haven't seen it have a completely reproducible crasher.

The UI matches the rest of Google's new look.

If you have an iPad, go to bleacherreport.com and try to view one of their slideshows. Crashes nearly every time. Doesn't happen as much on the iPhone, but it does if you switch it to 'full site' instead of mobile. Not sure what causes it.

There were tons more safari crashes on beta 1 and beta 2, though.

The Facebook app doesn't completely explode when I try to use it in iOS 5. It's a pretty good example of bad application design when you can't withstand some API upgrades.

iOS 5 isn't released to the public and as such most, if not all, apps won't officially support it. Hell, afaik, developers can't even submit compatible apps yet. There's really not much point in complaining about third-party apps not running properly on an unreleased OS. It's one of those risks you take when running a beta version on your device(s). Simple as that. If you're unwilling to take that risk, stick with the latest stable build. If it still doesn't run properly there then you can complain.

I more or less agree with you on the interface design though; it isn't a perfect fit on iOS although it's not that bad either.

The stability of the app on iOS 5 is atrocious, and the app just had a certain quality about it that makes it feel "Android-y". Not impressed.

This matter's why? iOS 5 is not available to the general public yet.

Fine, you're right. I'll reserve judgement on it's stability until iOS 5 is GM.

the thing about the UI though is that it matches the new google look, so i do think they could do a couple of things better. but it works like all the rest of google's new stuff.

The UI matches the rest of Google's new look.

If you have an iPad, go to bleacherreport.com and try to view one of their slideshows. Crashes nearly every time. Doesn't happen as much on the iPhone, but it does if you switch it to 'full site' instead of mobile. Not sure what causes it.

There were tons more safari crashes on beta 1 and beta 2, though.

Just tried out a few of their slideshows (full site mode) and I can't get it to crash. iPhone 4 and iPad both running iOS5b3. I wouldn't be surprised to see some crashers because of the new hardware graphics acceleration and other enhancements (Safari is part of the beta program and isn't a final app), but I'm just not finding them. It's not nearly as clear-cut as "click on Stream, watch app crash".

iOS 5 isn't released to the public and as such most, if not all, apps won't officially support it. Simple as that. There's really not much point in complaining about third-party apps not running properly on an unreleased OS. It's one of those risks you take when running a beta version on your device(s). If you're unwilling to take that risk, stick with the latest stable build. If it still doesn't run properly there then you can complain.

That's fair enough, and I can usually forgive UI quirks or stability issues possibly related to something that couldn't be easily handled with native APIs or result from the documented instability of an API. However, I just don't see either of those happening here. That's all.

the thing about the UI though is that it matches the new google look, so i do think they could do a couple of things better. but it works like all the rest of google's new stuff.

Then they're doing it wrong. Keep the basic elements of your style (the blacks, the reds, the greens, and the minimalism), but don't push Android aesthetics on the iPhone. And this comes just when I thought Google was getting a little better at design.

Just tried out a few of their slideshows (full site mode) and I can't get it to crash. iPhone 4 and iPad both running iOS5b3. I wouldn't be surprised to see some crashers because of the new hardware graphics acceleration and other enhancements (Safari is part of the beta program and isn't a final app), but I'm just not finding them. It's not nearly as clear-cut as "click on Stream, watch app crash".

When I get home I'll post a couple links.

When I get home I'll post a couple links.

Submit them to Apple, not me. :p I'm not surprised Safari has some crashers on some sites. Like I said: that is actually beta software.

Also, what's with the Google+ app not running on iPod touch? There's absolutely no reason it shouldn't be able to.

Early Version of Google+ iOS App Released On Accident

Current updated version is 1.0.1.1809

It appears that there was a glitch in the system, a rip in the Matrix, if you will, in this morning?s release of the Apple version of the Google+ app on the iTunes App Market. Google rep Punit Soni discovered this error early on in the day and announced on Google+ that the version was indeed incorrect basically immediately after the error was corrected. The problem with this situation is that because the app was so immediately massively popular, thousands of users downloaded the incorrect version by mistake. This has resulted in a slew of errors....

Punit Soni, also known as the Lead Product Manager of Google+ Mobile, lets us know that when the G+ app was launched this morning for iOS, the App Store started service a previous ?test version? of the App which ?didn?t have the stability and fixes that the latest version had.? The system appeared to have self-corrected and was serving the real deal final release a little after 1 hour and 40 minutes into the launch. The hot mess of errors that we?re seeing (and are listed in short below) appear to be mainly due to this early version being out and about.

But there is a way to check and see if you?ve got this wrong version, a very easy way to check. All you?ve got to do is: Just click on the gear icon on the top left of your App?s homescreen and look right above the Help button, the version number of the App should be: 1.0.1.1809

If that is not the version number you see, you are to immediately uninstall the app and reinstall by clicking on the following link: http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/google/id447119634?ls=1&mt=8...

http://www.slashgear.com/early-version-of-google-ios-app-released-on-accident-19166108/